Texas Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was anyone who interviewed at UTSW given a sheet with GPA and MCAT of those accepted to last year's class? I have a 3.99 and a 29 Q. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.99? How do you do that?
Do ya goto UT-Austin? Thats about the only place I know where AP's can give you enough credit to have a GPA divisible to get a number like that.

i applied at utsw and w/o getting out the little booklet they gave us the MCAT average is a little above 32 with an average gpa of about 3.8. what's interesting is the gpa is a double bell curve. like 70 out of 200 with +3.9 and the rest distibuted around 3.5-3.6

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SJP
Was anyone who interviewed at UTSW given a sheet with GPA and MCAT of those accepted to last year's class? I have a 3.99 and a 29 Q. Thanks.

They did give out two histograms with MCAT scores and grades of the most recent entering class. MCATs ranged from low 20s to 40s with the greatest number of people in the 32-33 range and grades ranged from high 2s to 4.0s with the greatest number of people at a ~3.7.

Have any Aug MCAT takers heard from Baylor? How long do they usually take to send the invite or rejection?

I'll be sure and let you know when the Baylor rejections come in.

:( (I should be getting one in the first mail-out!)

Does anyone know if Texas schools take your fall semester grades into account when they make decisions? I think TMDSAS requires fall transcripts to be turned in.

Also, does Baylor ask for fall transcripts? I know they want us to send in one now...

Thanks!

serenity

i'm not entirely sure, but i don't think fall grades are considered because you would have to have a transcript sent to tmdsas first (~dec20 maybe) then that would have to be forwarded to the schools you interviewed with. so the schools could get your transcripts by early jan. if they're lucky. since match lists are sent to austin on jan. 15 this wouldn't give them much time to reassess their rankings. this is a conjecture but i think it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure that fall scores won't apply for the decisions to be made. As far as transcripts, as soon as this semester is over, the various application services require that you send in your latest ones once more just so that have the new records updated. Especially if you're accepted somewhere, those schools need to have your latest transcripts as well.

What are the ranges of GPA's for TX schools? Are they high? Like 3.8-4.0? What if someone has a 3.4-3.5?

3.7-4.0 is probably Baylor and UT-SW.

3.2-3.6 is probably any other school in Texas.

for the class of 2005 people

A&M 3.64
Tech 3.59
Galveston 3.59
Houston 3.58
San Antonio 3.46
SW Dallas 3.76

and Baylo...i don't know but i would expect that to be higher than dallas...

BUT!!! I have seen alot of my friend getting into with 3.0s (except dallas)

Good luck

This is from another thread, but I will pose this question once more. How would you rank the Texas medical schools in terms of overall quality. I would do it something along the lines of the following, but I am very interested in others' opinions:

1. Baylor
2. UT-Southwestern (both 1 and 2 are very very close in quality)

(huge gap)

3. UT-Houston
4. Texas A&M
5. Texas Tech
6. UT-Galveston
7. UT-San Antonio

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AegisZero
This is from another thread, but I will pose this question once more. How would you rank the Texas medical schools in terms of overall quality. I would do it something along the lines of the following, but I am very interested in others' opinions:

1. Baylor
2. UT-Southwestern (both 1 and 2 are very very close in quality)

(huge gap)

3. UT-Houston
4. Texas A&M
5. Texas Tech
6. UT-Galveston
7. UT-San Antonio

I agree on the first three, though I think that's pretty much agreed on by all. Baylor is my first love among med schools, though I really liked Southwestern's faculty and students. I still have Galveston and A&M coming up and have just submitted my Tech secondary a last week (I completely forgot about it). And finally, I am all pro-ranking San Antonio last, since I submitted all my stuff to them in August and still haven't heard from them. Thus, I am assuming that they are going to completely snub me. However, I heard people rank San Antonio on par with UT Houston.

I interviewed at all the school to which I applied in Texas but didn't even get an interview invite from San Antonio. They'd be my last choice anyway, but no interview? Also, I'd probably rank Galveston higher than 6 just because they have a beach.

Originally posted by whitesoxfan
I interviewed at all the school to which I applied in Texas but didn't even get an interview invite from San Antonio. They'd be my last choice anyway, but no interview? Also, I'd probably rank Galveston higher than 6 just because they have a beach.

Yeah, but have you been to the beach there?!?

I have a 3yr old daughter, and you can bet the Galveston isn't my first choice, or second, or....wait I didn't even APPLY there. Not exactly pro-family environment.....

Originally posted by mountainlander
Yeah, but have you been to the beach there?!?

lol true.....we aren't talking about white sand beaches here.

Originally posted by whitesoxfan

I wonder why San Antonio is that way-- I didn't get an invite for an interview from them either. I figured if I was good enough for an interview with Baylor and Southwestern I would hear from San Antonio... but no.

Originally posted by Slinkie
I wonder why San Antonio is that way-- I didn't get an invite for an interview from them either. I figured if I was good enough for an interview with Baylor and Southwestern I would hear from San Antonio... but no.

Great, don't tell me that! S. Antonio is one of the schools I DID apply too!:laugh:

My intial processing date was Oct. 23rd and I got an interview offer on Oct. 28th. They hadn't even received my secondary app (the selective service card) yet. I think they are more interested in just getting things started. Dont worry about the interview date. They don't admit on a rolling basis. Good Luck.

I've heard from a lot of people having problems getting a San Antonio interview, people who had no problems getting them from every other school in Texas including Southwestern and Baylor. I'm not sure what it is, but I generally wasn't impressed much with SA when I interviewed there myself. Probably just wasn't a good personality fit. I had also just interviewed at Houston too at the Texas Medical Center, that may have had something else to do with it too.

I think if one of the schools is your first choice (AMCAS and TMDSAS), you can drop them a letter saying so. This may help some.

Originally posted by abc2003
For those who interviewed at Texas:
Beside sending out the thank you letters to the interviewers, do you do any else while waiting for the match? write an update to the admission office ? or do you keep in touch with your interviewers?
Thanks for the advice.

as far as i know, most TX school admission committee get together after the interview session (some do it that day after the interview, some wait for about two weeks to do it)

then they score you and rank you...especially TX tech do so in hte afternoon after the interview session (or that's what the dean told me)

therefore they explained that it would be nice to send a thank you card but won't be helpful for your admission.

in my opinion, it would be nice to keep in touch with the school or ppl there but won't be helpful....

good luck

Originally posted by amelie
TCOM 10/24
UTH 11/8
UTSW 12/7

28O 3.7

Amelie, when did you submit your tmdas and secondary? How quickly did you hear from them? My LORs FINALLY got there 10/31, so needless to say all my nails are down to the quick.

i think my file was complete (LORs & MCAT) on Oct. 10. UT Houston emailed me about an interview about a week later. Then TCOM called probably three days after that. UTSW sent a letter out the 25th of the month.

So I think (as others have already said) they get things moving pretty quickly after your app is complete. Just give em a little time--I'm sure you'll hear something soon! :clap:

To those of you getting interviews:

I know it is still early, but are the more competitive applicants getting interviews now?

Is it a bad sign if I hadn't heard from any of the schools yet? :(

What do the schools list as the latest acceptance dates????

amelie,
my app was completed around the same time as well and i recieved the same TX interviews as you, but haven't heard from utmb or san antonio. Are u still waiting for a reply from them too?

txphiota: i'm in the same boat. i haven't heard from anyone else...but my fingers are crossed :)

angel_eyes: i'm not really a good judge of bad signs...but when was your application processed? are you sure it's complete? the schools waited till they had all my info. before i received any invitations. also, i think it's probably a lot easier for someone in-state to gain admission here, esp with just okay stats (like me)...so my next question would be, were you able to apply claiming tx residency somehow? if you are a la resident, did you apply to other schools besides tx? i think it's a good idea to keep options open. but don't give up hope. this whole deal seems like a big crap shoot to me.

Nice to see this thread motoring along and good luck to everyone applying in Texas (and elsewhere, for that matter). In regards to letters- i'd send a hardcopy to the dean of admissions and use that for your thanks. Most interviewers are clinicians and won't have much time to read the letters. Plus once they turn in your interview score (on your interview day usually) there isn't anymore say they can have on your app. So if you do want to write something noticeable, send it to the dean. I remember the Southwestern guy (the dean there, i forgot his name but i think he has an education degree) is VERY nice about eMailing and replying. At baylor the officers tend to be older and more into letters and so on. Plus the dean has his secretary answer all his eMail, so many times he doesn't read eMails. Whatever you do, good luck!! --Trek

Hey guys,

I have a quick question about the personal statement for TMDAS. Can I use my AMCAS personal statement fot the TMDAS. Is the format any different than from AMCAS?

Originally posted by solid snake
Hey guys,

I have a quick question about the personal statement for TMDAS. Can I use my AMCAS personal statement fot the TMDAS. Is the format any different than from AMCAS?

Nope! you can copy and paste it...(i used the same essay)

BUT!!! you might have to check your 'apostrophe' thoough...

because TMDSAS format might change that character to something else or omit it...

and allowed space is little longer so you can right more if you like...

Just wanted to share a little bit of good news with my fellow Texas Pre-Meds. I got the nod at Baylor from Dean Bradshaw earlier today and I'm still in shock!

Hey Congrats! I may see you there

Congrats Peter!

Has anyone taken the shuttle to Galveston, or has everyone rented cars? I have to fly into Hobby and was wondering which was better.

*tear*

i'm so proud of my thread. it's grown and blossomed ever so nicely.

now the waiting game begins, huh kids?

Originally posted by seaworthc
Congrats Peter!

Has anyone taken the shuttle to Galveston, or has everyone rented cars? I have to fly into Hobby and was wondering which was better.

gosh.. it's been a really long time since i've visited this thread..
well, i did go to galveston...
and i took the shuttle, and it's actually a good deal, b/c if you take a cab it would be sooooo $$!
so just take the galv limo.. it's like $50 for round trip, i believe..
and one advice! it's really humid there w/ lots of mosquitos..
wear OFF!! even if you are wearing pantyhose, if you are a girl..., they'll get your legs... no mercy!!
i got like over 30 bites at galveston.. but then again it was after Floyd storm, so it might be better now..

Good luck!
you'll get a good meal there.. =)

eunice

Originally posted by Peter Parker
Just wanted to share a little bit of good news with my fellow Texas Pre-Meds. I got the nod at Baylor from Dean Bradshaw earlier today and I'm still in shock!

Wow!
congrats Peter Parker!

hmm.. haven't heard a peep out of them ever since my 2ndaries have been complete...
it's been almost 3 months... booo...
oh well...

do you think you'll go there??
eunice!

hey i just found this forum on the internet! im waiting for interviews like most of yall and it sucks. but i wanted to get some peer input. my mcats are good not great...6V 11P 12B R....gpa is supposed to be a nice 3.5 at school but, the only qualm i have is that i had a bad year at school and had to retake a lot of courses which in TMDSAS' stupid standards has to count and brought my gpa down to a 3.0...have yall heard of a situation like this getting interviews or even acceptance?? need advice...thanks

Hey
The MCAT score is OK, but verbal may hurt alot, however UT Houston interviews a ton of applicants with, according to one of the med students at my interview, acceptances of people with MCATs as low as 24. The gpa is low too, but a strong upward trend could help.

Pickle
The waiting has started and it sucks.
"What are you kicking me for? Alright I'll ask her. Ma'am where do the high school girls hang out around here?"

eunice and rjhtamu,

I think Baylor is where I'll be headed next year. No other school really made much sense for me...except maybe Pritzker. I've been very fortunate with interviews at the places I've applied to thus far, so cancelling the remaining will be difficult. I'll likely go to a few in NYC as I have a flight booked, but the rest will surely be cancelled. Baylor saved me hundreds of dollars!

I'm withdrawing from a UT-San Antonio interview on Dec. 2 and also from a Texas Tech interview on Dec. 18. I hope they go to SDNers!

-----------------------
seaworthc,

As for getting to Galveston from Hobby, I would personally rent a car. If you go to travel.yahoo.com, the rentals are in the range of $15-20 for a 24 hr. period, and most will have a $30 or so underage fee. This adds up to ~$50, but it gives you freedom to explore. I did this at Southwestern with Dollar Rent-A-Car and it came to $50. Regardless of what you choose, best of luck with your Galveston interview. They're a very friendly bunch!

P. Parker

Originally posted by Peter Parker

For my 1000th post, I would like to congratulate Spiderman on making it into Baylor. :cool:

Yeah, I'll probably be heading to Baylor too. I just loved the way the curriculum seemed to click with what I was wanting, and all of the students there loved the way it was set up.

thanks for the advice PP, I've just been dragging my feet on getting my stuff together for my last two interviews, which I had pushed back a month. it is kind of interesting interviewing with the August MCATers because they are still so enthusiactic and I'm just tired. my heart is set on Baylor, so now I am just playing the waiting game for the phone call with them. congrats by the way. :)

Let's go TEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXAS!!!!!
UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULESV UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES

I've been wanting to do that for a while. Thanks!

Oh brother... :rolleyes:

What's wrong with a little school spirit? You're lucky Longhorn is interviewing out at UTMB, or we'd seriously be ripping this @#$% up. Will, get your drunk ass out of bed and get on here!

Peter Parker,
when did you recieve your invitation to san antonio?

i have been waiting for a letter from SA and was wondering if anyone who has taken the aug mcat already got invitations from them within the last couple of weeks.
thanks.

Originally posted by mightymouseal
Let's go TEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXAS!!!!!
UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULESV UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES UT RULES

I've been wanting to do that for a while. Thanks!

Lame :rolleyes:

TXPHIOTA,
I received my San Antonio invite sometime in early September, but had to schedule the interview for winter break. Then, they abruptly e-mailed me (about two weeks ago) and let me know that their last interview date would be dec. 2 and they moved me to that date. Since I'll be in school until at least dec. 10, I told them I couldn't make the interview and thus withdrew my application. Hope this helps some.

P. Parker