Texas Psychology Licensure Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uncertain_wafer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm preparing to apply for an LP license in Texas for the first time, and I'm finding the BHEC website to be a little unclear. I have two questions:

- First, should I be sending in my application form, along with the fee, the Self-Query report, and proof of passing the jurisprudence exam, and have my school send transcripts, all before I've applied for the EPPP? (I'm aware that I need to wait to receive approval before I apply to take the EPPP, but it's not clear what I have to do in order to get that approval, so I'm assuming I just send in all the other application materials.)

- Second, where should I be sending all these application materials, anyway? There's an address at the bottom of the page on the BHEC site, but as far as I can tell it's never explicitly mentioned that this is where the application materials should go. This seems important because they strongly discourage contacting the board with questions until at least six weeks after you send in your application, and I don't want to sit around for six weeks just to learn I've done something wrong.

I hope someone in Texas who has been through this recently can help clarify! Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

First, not sure if this is your first application, as I applied for TX as my 7th state that I got licensed in, long after I passed EPPP. I know that you definitely shouldn't apply (if it's a second or third license) until after you pass the TX test--and you do that on the TX website, and then print out the email that said you passed and mail that in with the rest of your application.

Second, the mailing address on the BHEC website is the only one there is.

Third, if you have a question, ask it. Some states reply within less than a day, some states never reply. Texas pulls this thing where they don't want to be bothered with having to give updates and have a lot of language on their website discouraging applicants from contacting to ask, "are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?"

But those are litigate questions for the Board's staff based on the unclear language on the website. These people are public servants, they get paid based on your taxes. Being scared of them is B.S.

You can also always join the TX Psych Association and they might be more helpful (especially if you're a paying member).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I'm preparing to hop for an LP license in Texas for the first time, and I'm finding the BHEC website to be a little unclear. I have two questions:

- First, should I be sending in my Easter egg collection form, along with the fee, the Self-Query report, and proof of passing the jurisprudence exam, and have my school send transcripts, all before I've applied for the EPPP? (I'm aware that I need to wait to receive approval before I hop to take the EPPP, but it's not clear what I have to do in order to get that approval, so I'm assuming I just send in all the other Easter egg collection materials.)

- Second, where should I be sending all these Easter egg collection materials, anyway? There's an address at the bottom of the page on the BHEC site, but as far as I can tell it's never explicitly mentioned that this is where the Easter egg collection materials should go. This seems important because they strongly discourage contacting the board with questions until at least six weeks after you send in your Easter egg collection, and I don't want to sit around for six weeks just to learn I've done something wrong.

I hope someone in Texas who has been through this recently can help clarify! Thanks so much in advance.
Hi, same questions here honestly, so I do not have a helpful response. But what is the reference to Easter egg collection and hop? I'm very confused by this. sorry!

Hi, same questions here honestly, so I do not have a helpful response. But what is the reference to Easter egg collection and hop? I'm very confused by this. sorry!
What day was it when you posted this? ;)

To OP: are you already licensed in another state? Or is this your first psychologist license? If it's your first license, you'll submit the licensed psychologist application first, and THEN the board will send you instructions to register for the EPPP. Once you pass the EPPP and finish postdoc hours, then you submit the "upgrade" application (it's called like "Request for License" or something) for them to issue the full license.

The address on the application is the address you will send the materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
What day was it when you posted this? ;)

To OP: are you already licensed in another state? Or is this your first psychologist license? If it's your first license, you'll submit the licensed psychologist application first, and THEN the board will send you instructions to register for the EPPP. Once you pass the EPPP and finish postdoc hours, then you submit the "upgrade" application (it's called like "Request for License" or something) for them to issue the full license.

The address on the application is the address you will send the materials.
Thank you this is so helpful! And we complete the jurisprudence exam first, as part of the licensed psychologist application?

Also, if I'm currently in internship (ends mid-July) but have an APPIC postdoc lined up for September 2021-September 2022, can I take the jurisprudence now, and then the EPPP before my postdoc starts? I wish there was more information on the website about the timeline of things.

What are some of the resources that you all utilized to pass the Psychology juris prudence?

What are some of the resources that you all utilized to pass the Psychology juris prudence?
Same as above, I found it really helpful to have two computers up at once. I read through (or at least skimmed) all the relevant codes and made some notes re: what kinds of issues were covered where, and then searched the documents throughout the exam to check/verify answers. Compared to where I am licensed now (TN) I found the TX codes very clearly written and so with a bit of prep, passed the TX jurisprudence easily. Hated the oral but I think they finally got rid of it.

Same as above, I found it really helpful to have two computers up at once. I read through (or at least skimmed) all the relevant codes and made some notes re: what kinds of issues were covered where, and then searched the documents throughout the exam to check/verify answers. Compared to where I am licensed now (TN) I found the TX codes very clearly written and so with a bit of prep, passed the TX jurisprudence easily. Hated the oral but I think they finally got rid of it.
There is a lot info about the LSSP is anyone aware of where that info is located?

Hi All,

I am licensed in NY and CA and will be taking the Texas Jurisprudence exam. I heard there is a lot of information on the LSSP. Where can this info be obtained...I heard it wasn't very clear. Thank you!

I am licensed in Ohio and Texas and was just licensed in Texas last year. The process is not as straight forward as Ohio's, but I will say it was pretty simple if you follow the instructions. I think it's weird you have to apply in two phases, but whatever. As far as the laws exam, yea, "control F" is your friend. In Ohio I had to do an oral laws exam in front of a panel.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am licensed in NY and CA and will be taking the Texas Jurisprudence exam. I heard there is a lot of information on the LSSP. Where can this info be obtained...I heard it wasn't very clear. Thank you!

I took it late last year. While they give you a list of the relevant materials on the board’s website, I also had to google a lot of info. I just had a bunch of tabs/PDF’s open, and like most have said—Cmd/Ctrl + F is your best friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. How does that work / go down?

You have to know your rules and laws - basically you are asked 5 questions that span multiple domains of professional practice and you have to get all 5 questions correct, but, may use an alternate question if you miss one. The panel could ask you anything about a given professional practice rule.