Texas PT School Apps 2015-2016 (PTCAS/non-PTCAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey shihalud. Congrats on the interview! Techs interview is generally very laid back in comparison to other schools. Very conversational, nothing that really requires preparation, so long as you are yourself and relax. Which campus are you interviewing at?
Thanks ***! I am interviewing at the Amarillo campus!

Members don't see this ad.

For TWU's application, did you guys use the same essay for their "school specific" interest essay as the one for PTCAS? Or do we have to write two different essays?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get an interview yet with UTHSCA San antonio?

If you live and Houston and got into TWU and UTMB which one would you pick and why?

I like TWU because its cheaper but I heard their standards are very high. I like UTMB's culture but they are way more expensive. PLEASE HELP!

For TWU's application, did you guys use the same essay for their "school specific" interest essay as the one for PTCAS? Or do we have to write two different essays?
I think you can use the same

Reactions: 1 user
Also has anyone heard back from UT Southwestern? I have not even got a single email from them regarding anything admissions related.

Also has anyone heard back from UT Southwestern? I have not even got a single email from them regarding anything admissions related.
I'm a first year at UTSW. I talked to Billy Crawford and Sandra Molina. They are changing the way they're doing interviews this year. Last year, they started with early interviews of very small numbers in September, but now the interviews will take place in January. So don't panic if you haven't heard till later on this semester for an interview date in January. If you happen to get an interview, I'll be helping out with the tours :)

Anyone hear anything yet from UNTHSC?
I applied to UNTHSC last year and submitted my app August 31st. I heard about an interview late February. I had a 4.0 and hundreds of hours of observation. I have no idea how they select their interview candidates.

I'm going to be applying in the future, but my friend had an interview at tech this past Friday. What are the chances of getting in when you get interviewed at Texas tech? what do they base your acceptance off of from the interview?

Hi shihauld!

Not a problem.
My stats were as follows:

B.S (Major in Health Science/Minor in Psych) at Sam Houston State University
Overall gpa: 3.8
Pre-req gpa: I think around a 3.5/3.6
GRE: 152V 156Q 5.0AW
400hours observation (between outpatient ortho and inpatient rehab)

Extra-Curric: NCAA Div 1 Tennis player for 4 years. Participated in on campus health promotion events, and organised/participated in several off campus promotion/charity events. International student.

Interviewed at TTUHSC: 9/26.
Acceptance letter received: 10/14

Hope this helps!
Do you know how much Tech takes your interview into consideration? How do they really determine if you get accepted from the first interview group? My friend said the interview only consisted of one professor asking you questions, but you spend a lot of time with the students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how much Tech takes your interview into consideration? How do they really determine if you get accepted from the first interview group? My friend said the interview only consisted of one professor asking you questions, but you spend a lot of time with the students.

To be honest I'm not really sure how much everything is taken into account. They are looking for wholesome applicants, so every part of your application is considered. Interviews are important, but it's more a cumulative effect of your entire application and the interview. (I'm not sure if there's a set formula for who they accept and don't accept).

To be honest I'm not really sure how much everything is taken into account. They are looking for wholesome applicants, so every part of your application is considered. Interviews are important, but it's more a cumulative effect of your entire application and the interview. (I'm not sure if there's a set formula for who they accept and don't accept).
Thank you so much for your feedback! Fingers crossed for those who applied this cycle!

Hi guys,
I'm a long time viewer, first time posting.
I grew up overseas for 22 years before relocating to D.C. on my own. I had a job here and decided to go to school and change my career while at my previous job. I had some trouble at work (who doesn't) which put my future in the U.S. at jeopardy. While I was sure that my issue would be resolved within a month, in reality it was partially resolved after a year. I've decided to keep on studying, but ended up with two D's and one F'. Sadly, these grades were received for Psych, Stats, and Calculus. After I transferred to my 4-year school, I had all the time in the world to study. However, being the first generation in my family to attend college, I had zero experience and knowledge on how to approach school assignments. I remember studying a week and a half, eight hours each day, just to get a C in my class. Once I was able to refine my academic abilities, the grade trends increased slowly yet steady. Last hurdle was this past spring when I was diagnosed with ADD, Dyscalculia (number blindness), and severe test anxiety. My PTCAS GPA was 2.82 and science was 2.62. I applied to UNTHSC, hoping that my resume (three years military service in one of the best defense forces in the world, presidential medal, five years work at an embassy, and over 600 hours of PT experience) will help. My last 60 GPA & pre-req GPA was 3.3.
I know I am considered to be a non-traditional student, but I was wondering regarding your thoughts of my application as a whole? I truly believe that at the age of 29 (closer to my 30's, actually), I can bring something different to the table. I've been looking at schools in Australia and Canada as I will be an International student wherever I go.
Thoughts?

Hi guys,
My PTCAS GPA was 2.82 and science was 2.62. My last 60 GPA & pre-req GPA was 3.3. Thoughts?

Hi, welcome. From everything I have heard about applying to PT school, it is extremely competitive. I think you may have a hard time with your cGpa and your science GPA. Another poster put a thread up regarding schools that only look at your last 60 hours. However, most of the schools I have researched that take the last 60 hours usually have an average GPA of near 3.8 for the last 60. That being said, your other qualities may be strong enough to get you there, and it seems like you have a lot of options as far as where you can go geographically. Did you take the GRE?

I took the GRE once, yet it was before I was diagnosed with ADD, etc. Needless to say that the scores were not competitive.
While I am aware that my resume will not replace my GPA, I was hoping that it will help me stand out compared to other prospective students who are younger and not as well-rounded.
I applied to one school in Australia and am likely to apply for a few more. It seems as if the tuition there will be somewhat cheaper for compared to schools here.

University of Arkansas
Biology Major
Overall GPA: 3.71 (PTCAS)
Pre-Req: 3.82(PTCAS)
Science: 3.66 (PTCAS)
GRE: V: 153 Q: 160 AW: 3.5
3 Reference Letters: 1 PT 2 Professors

Extra-Curric: Pre-Physical Therapy club (UofArk), Biology Club (UofArk), Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, Men's Rugby (UofArk), Gamma Delegate, volunteer work at local church and as a coach at local middle school

Hours: 88 outpatient 32 inpatient

Applied to: Chapman (Aug 2016), Drexel, Rockhurst, Arkansas, U North Texas HSC, UTHSC San Antonio, UTMB Galveston, UT Southwestern, MGH institute, West Coast

Interviews (So far): Drexel 10/30 (offered 10/01), Rockhurst 11/14 (offered 9/30)

Acceptances (So far): UTMB Galveston (offered 9/25)

Rejections: none yet

Application verified and GPA finally calculated 9/23

Will be visiting UTMB on 11/23 to check the program out. Born and raised in Texas so I'm kind of on the fence on whether to stay close to home and pay in state (way cheaper) or venture out somewhere far away (the Northeast or California) and pay a ridiculous amount of money for school/living but gain new experiences. Any input or advice on the matter would be appreciated!

University of Arkansas
Biology Major
Overall GPA: 3.71 (PTCAS)
Pre-Req: 3.82(PTCAS)
Science: 3.66 (PTCAS)
GRE: V: 153 Q: 160 AW: 3.5
3 Reference Letters: 1 PT 2 Professors

Extra-Curric: Pre-Physical Therapy club (UofArk), Biology Club (UofArk), Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, Men's Rugby (UofArk), Gamma Delegate, volunteer work at local church and as a coach at local middle school

Hours: 88 outpatient 32 inpatient

Applied to: Chapman (Aug 2016), Drexel, Rockhurst, Arkansas, U North Texas HSC, UTHSC San Antonio, UTMB Galveston, UT Southwestern, MGH institute, West Coast

Interviews (So far): Drexel 10/30 (offered 10/01), Rockhurst 11/14 (offered 9/30)

Acceptances (So far): UTMB Galveston (offered 9/25)

Rejections: none yet

Application verified and GPA finally calculated 9/23

Will be visiting UTMB on 11/23 to check the program out. Born and raised in Texas so I'm kind of on the fence on whether to stay close to home and pay in state (way cheaper) or venture out somewhere far away (the Northeast or California) and pay a ridiculous amount of money for school/living but gain new experiences. Any input or advice on the matter would be appreciated!

Congratulations on getting accepted to UTMB. I also got accepted and I will be visiting them on November 23rd also :). Although I applied to LSU and an interview offer in Midwestern in Chicago, I will most likely deny it. I personally do not think its worth it flying over there and chatting with them when I have the opportunity right here in Texas where tuition will be much cheaper.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on getting accepted to UTMB. I also got accepted and I will be visiting them on November 23rd also :). Although I applied to LSU and an interview offer in Midwestern in Chicago, I will most likely deny it. I personally do not think its worth it flying over there and chatting with them when I have the opportunity right here in Texas where tuition will be much cheaper.

Thanks! I fly for free so I'm going to try to make it to my interviews far away just to see if I find the distance and the tuition worth it. Do you have any idea on what we need to wear for our visit to UTMB? Can we dress casual or do we need to dress as if we're going to an interview?

Wow congrats, that's awesome! Did you apply early decision??

Thanks! No I didn't apply early decision which is why I was shocked to have been accepted this early. Kind of bittersweet because I only have until the end December to decide on whether I want to attend UTMB or not, yet a few of my other favorite schools won't even hold interviews until January or February.

Thanks! I fly for free so I'm going to try to make it to my interviews far away just to see if I find the distance and the tuition worth it. Do you have any idea on what we need to wear for our visit to UTMB? Can we dress casual or do we need to dress as if we're going to an interview?
I think dressing casual will be fine. Its probably just more information on the classes and tuition to get prepared for the next fall.

Hey guys,

I'm a current first year at TTUHSC. Let me know if you have any questions about the program or app process! Good luck! :)
Hey I just submitted my application to Texas Tech… am worried though, I feel like this program is a long shot for me… I have a GREAT letters of recommendation but my GRE and GPA are on the lower end :/ Do you know if anyone got into the program with a lower GPA and GRE scores.?

Texas Tech interview first week of October!! I just got a call this morning. Feeling very excited.
I thought the deadline was Oct 1st? Do they offer interviews as the applications are submitted? I just submitted my application.

The first round of interviews was last friday on October 2nd. Im not sure if that was the early acceptance group or if they offered interviews to people who submitted when it first opened.

I thought the deadline was Oct 1st? Do they offer interviews as the applications are submitted? I just submitted my application.

Tech does rolling admissions. I applied in July and interviewed Oct 2. It was regular admissions, Tech doesn't do ED anymore. :bear: Last year on this forum people said they found out two weeks after they interviewed if they were accepted or not. What do you mean your GPA is on the lower end (care to share stats?) My guess is it's probably not as bad as you think, because applying via Merlin gives you the benefit of normal GPA calculations whereas I feel like PTCAS overanalyzes gpa to many people's detriment.

For anyone who applied to TWU, did you guys just copy and paste your essay used for PTCAS into TWU's school specific essay question?

Tech does rolling admissions. I applied in July and interviewed Oct 2. It was regular admissions, Tech doesn't do ED anymore. :bear: Last year on this forum people said they found out two weeks after they interviewed if they were accepted or not. What do you mean your GPA is on the lower end (care to share stats?) My guess is it's probably not as bad as you think, because applying via Merlin gives you the benefit of normal GPA calculations whereas I feel like PTCAS overanalyzes gpa to many people's detriment.
My GRE score was a 294 combined ( I hate the stupid test :( ) My pre-req GPA on Merlin was 3.2.. It seemed that Merline calculated a lower GPA than PTCAS did for me and other programs! most programs I'm applying for my GPA is a 3.5 (I think it was because the didn't need the classes I did really well in) go figure… My Texas Tech course were mostly B's with a few A's. I know I have really good letters of recommendations and a good letter. I just hope its enough to get me an interview. I know once they meet me they will see that I would be perfect for this program.

For anyone who applied to TWU, did you guys just copy and paste your essay used for PTCAS into TWU's school specific essay question?
I changed mine up a little to fit the topic of "why TWU" however I left a lot of it the same.

Just got an e-mail this morning inviting me to interview at Hardin-Simmons! Anyone else interviewing there? Also, it says "we will begin offering seats following each interview "... Does that mean you have to decide whether to accept right then if offered? I hope not haha
Hi! What date did you set up your interview for? If you've already had it, have you heard back yet?

Hi! What date did you set up your interview for? If you've already had it, have you heard back yet?
Yes! I had my interview on Friday 9/18, and got a call a few days later (I believe Monday or Tuesday of the next week) letting me know if been accepted:) Are you interviewing there?

Yes! I had my interview on Friday 9/18, and got a call a few days later (I believe Monday or Tuesday of the next week) letting me know if been accepted:) Are you interviewing there?
I just interviewed there this past friday 10/9. I was just trying to get an idea of when I'd hear back! It was a phone call rather than email?

I just interviewed there this past friday 10/9. I was just trying to get an idea of when I'd hear back! It was a phone call rather than email?

I got a phone call initially, then an email a few days later. If you interviewed there Friday I'd say there's a chance you may hear back this week sometime! But if not don't freak out, I think some of the current students said there was a lot of variation in when they found out. They still have another interview session in November I believe, and I think they leave some spots open to decide on after all the interviews have been completed.

Do they even have ED this year since they just started PTCAS?
According to the website when I applied, they had early decision if you met the following requirements:
GRE 154 verbal, 154 quant, 4.5 writing. I think GPA had to be about 3.7 or 3.8. I can't find it on their website anymore, maybe they do not have it anymore I am guessing.

Anyways December 15th can't come any faster!

A question to those who are still finishing up their bachelor's, either this semester or next.
Do the grades really matter after you have applied? I know I can pass my classes, but I fear my GPA might drop this semester. Should I be concerned that my application may be rejected because of that?

A question to those who are still finishing up their bachelor's, either this semester or next.
Do the grades really matter after you have applied? I know I can pass my classes, but I fear my GPA might drop this semester. Should I be concerned that my application may be rejected because of that?

I'm graduating this semester, and I emailed TWU about it and they said this Fall semester doesn't count. That's the only school I know of for sure though.

So, I applied at UNTHSC and TWU. I live in central Texas and was restricted to commuting, that's why I only applied at two schools. UNT is and has been my top choice since the beginning of this journey. My GPA's are around 3.75 on both pre-req and last 60. 200 hrs observation and good references. Anyone else shooting for UNT? If so, what do you feel your chances are of getting in?

So, I applied at UNTHSC and TWU. I live in central Texas and was restricted to commuting, that's why I only applied at two schools. UNT is and has been my top choice since the beginning of this journey. My GPA's are around 3.75 on both pre-req and last 60. 200 hrs observation and good references. Anyone else shooting for UNT? If so, what do you feel your chances are of getting in?

UNTHSC are my top choice as well. I wrote my whole life story above, so I will make a quick summary here:
Born and raised overseas, moved here eight years ago alone. First generation in my family to attend college (and first child to graduate high-school). I'm 29 y/o, served in a foreign military and was a recipient of a presidential medal in 2007. I have +600 observation hours (570 outpatient, 30 in ICU), excellent resume (worked for an embassy for five years among other stuff), and have four references (2 from PT's, one professor at major, one from my battalion commander) . I was diagnosed with ADD, Dyscalculia, and severe test anxiety only in my last semester at school (which was, sadly, my internship semester). In addition, my last-60 GPA and pre-req were both 3.3 (prior the CHEMII and PHYS II). My chances? I don't know, I think my transcript does show an increasing trend in my grades.

Received an email today 10/15 with an acceptance to Texas Tech!! I have 10 business days to pay my $100 deposit. Done and done!:soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
CONGRATS thats awesome! what campus did you get after the first part in lubbock?

The email address I put down on my application. I also had an offer when I clicked on "acceptance status" in Merlin.

Hey, congrats on your acceptance! I've got an interview at Tech on Oct 30th. What was the interview like? What should I expect?