Texas PT School Apps 2015-2016 (PTCAS/non-PTCAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call from TWU Houston! Accepted!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats you guys! I've been accepted to TWU Houston too! Torn between UTMB and TWU now, didn't think I was going to get in to TWU lol Have you guys decided where you're going?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't decided yet @Lunar24 but I'm leaning toward TWU as of now because of expenses, but UTMB looks so appealing. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
@Kinghooper I know I really like UTMB too! :( but I agree TWU is cheaper and literally in the medical center!

Hey guys :) I got accepted to TWU Houston too! I'm so happy because it was my number 1 school. I love the program, campus, and I live only 10 minutes away from there. I also applied to UTMB and UT San Antonio. I was kind of disappointed with UTMB though.
As for UT San Antonio I haven't heard anything from them. I'm wondering what happened.:shrug:

Hey guys :) I got accepted to TWU Houston too! I'm so happy because it was my number 1 school. I love the program, campus, and I live only 10 minutes away from there. I also applied to UTMB and UT San Antonio. I was kind of disappointed with UTMB though.
As for UT San Antonio I haven't heard anything from them. I'm wondering what happened.:shrug:
I interviewed at San Antonio on Friday - they said they would send out their next round of acceptances by the end of this week!

I interviewed at San Antonio on Friday - they said they would send out their next round of acceptances by the end of this week!
Wow, weird. I'm wondering if they got my application or maybe it was lost or something. Because I didn't hear anything from them, no interview, no rejection, no acceptance, literally nothing. I know my stats were good, cuz other universities accepted/interviewed me, so who knows. I should probably call them today and find out what happened :eyebrow:

Wow, weird. I'm wondering if they got my application or maybe it was lost or something. Because I didn't hear anything from them, no interview, no rejection, no acceptance, literally nothing. I know my stats were good, cuz other universities accepted/interviewed me, so who knows. I should probably call them today and find out what happened :eyebrow:
How strange - when did you apply? I believe they also have one more round of interviews in early January, so they aren't done yet!

How strange - when did you apply? I believe they also have one more round of interviews in early January, so they aren't done yet!
I applied in September, same time as to other schools. I don't know if I should just withdraw my application right now since I got accepted to the school I wanted or wait till I hear something from them. I'm not sure how the process works.

Congratulations! How many schools did you apply? I'm just wondering :)
I applied to TWU, UTHSCSA, UTMB, and Texas state!

Accepted to TWU & UTHSCSA, waitlisted at Texas State, and hold on UTMB's waitlist until they finish interviewing next month

Members don't see this ad :)

Accepted to TWU & UTHSCSA, waitlisted at Texas State, and hold on UTMB's waitlist until they finish interviewing next month
Cool. I also wanted to apply to Texas State, but since they were not part of PTCAS I got lazy about it and didn't apply:rolleyes:.
Oh and I contacted UT San Antonio, they said my application is still under review. They have another round of interviews in January. So, no worries guys if you are still waiting to hear from them :)

Congrats you guys! I've been accepted to TWU Houston too! Torn between UTMB and TWU now, didn't think I was going to get in to TWU lol Have you guys decided where you're going?

Congrats! I got the call from both as well. I ended up choosing UTMB over TWU. Both are good schools though.

Any advice for UTMB interview?

Just be yourself. Make sure you've read up on APTA and TPTA as well as current issues. They're big on evidenced based research as well if you want to mention anything about that. Make sure you incorporate your experiences in your answers. They want to know what you've experienced not just the best answers. Best of luck!

Just be yourself. Make sure you've read up on APTA and TPTA as well as current issues. They're big on evidenced based research as well if you want to mention anything about that. Make sure you incorporate your experiences in your answers. They want to know what you've experienced not just the best answers. Best of luck!
They asked me every possible question related to PT field. From why you want to be a PT to why we need the Doctoral program and not Masters. They also asked about leadership, challenges of PT profession, and they would give you a scenario of some situation and you should tell them what would you do and how you would deal with it.

When did you apply/interview at UTMB?

I interviewed September 11th and got an acceptance email on September 14th. TWU called me yesterday but after reviewing both schools, TWU's Houston campus makes me nervous because their ratings are dropping. UTMB was a better fit for me anyway so I'm sticking with my original decision. What schools are you looking at?

anyone knows about questions in UTSW interview? what should I prepare for?

I interviewed September 11th and got an acceptance email on September 14th. TWU called me yesterday but after reviewing both schools, TWU's Houston campus makes me nervous because their ratings are dropping. UTMB was a better fit for me anyway so I'm sticking with my original decision. What schools are you looking at?
TWU rating is dropping? o_O do you mind sharing a link with more info?

Here is one website I found: http://physical-therapy-schools.startclass.com/d/b/Texas

The Smart Rank weights statistical data about each program to determine an overall ranking for the physical therapy program. We started by gathering data on APTA Awards (American Physical Therapy Association), which highlight significant contributions in physical therapy over the past several decades. Schools with high representation among faculty and alumni scored well here. We also included statistics like license exam pass rate, average GPA of incoming students, employment rates, graduation rates, student-faculty ratio, and the US News Rank.

I'm sure it's still a great program and TWU has a lot of connections in the medical center which is a plus but I've also heard there are quite few new recent graduate professors in the program. Honestly, we've all worked so hard to get where we are now and any program we choose we will succeed in.

I'm sure it's still a great program and TWU has a lot of connections in the medical center which is a plus but I've also heard there are quite few new recent graduate professors in the program. Honestly, we've all worked so hard to get where we are now and any program we choose we will succeed in.
Of course! It's a great accomplishment to be accepted to those programs, they both are great. Many of us are in a position where we have to choose one over the other though. So, it's important to have an accurate info about both programs, that's why I asked you about that. It's just the first time I heard someone saying that TWU ratings are dropping, I actually heard quite the opposite. But I want to check everything before I make a decision which school to attend (although right now I'm 90% sure it's going to be TWU). But it's good to know all pros and cons and get as much information as possible :)

Here is one website I found: http://physical-therapy-schools.startclass.com/d/b/Texas

The Smart Rank weights statistical data about each program to determine an overall ranking for the physical therapy program. We started by gathering data on APTA Awards (American Physical Therapy Association), which highlight significant contributions in physical therapy over the past several decades. Schools with high representation among faculty and alumni scored well here. We also included statistics like license exam pass rate, average GPA of incoming students, employment rates, graduation rates, student-faculty ratio, and the US News Rank.
Yeah I saw those rankings, however they seem outdated to me. If you look carefully their information is not accurate (they still say that UTMB and TWU don't participate in PTCAS, which is not true). I think there are more accurate sources out there like this one for example: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../top-health-schools/physical-therapy-rankings

Of course! It's a great accomplishment to be accepted to those programs, they both are great. Many of us are in a position where we have to choose one over the other though. So, it's important to have an accurate info about both programs, that's why I asked you about that. It's just the first time I heard someone saying that TWU ratings are dropping, I actually heard quite the opposite. But I want to check everything before I make a decision which school to attend (although right now I'm 90% sure it's going to be TWU). But it's good to know all pros and cons and get as much information as possible :)

Yes, of course! I've heard a lot of great things about both schools while applying and even visited both campuses. TWU has a beautiful campus with great facilities which is why I was surprised to hear some negative things about the program as well. Thankfully, I'm in a position to choose where I want to go (even though I wouldn't bat an eye at TWU if it was the only school that accepted me). Keep in contact and let me know what you think of TWU if that's where you ultimately end up. Good luck!

I saw this one too but it was ranked in 2012
Yeah, some other stuff don't really make sense on that rating. It says TWU has lower tuition, higher graduation rates, and higher rates of passing the license exam than UTMB. Nevertheless, they ranked UTMB #44 and TWU #250 o_O. Really weird.
Oh well, good luck to you too. I hope you'll like UTMB :)

Got placed into TWU-Houston alternate list. Also, on UTMB wait list. Luckily already accepted into St. Augustine-Austin. If only Tech would hurry up. Congrats to all who have gotten in!!

I called TWU today to ask about my application and they told me I didn't even place on the alternate list because my science GPA was too low. Just got an acceptance letter from UTMB though!!

Reactions: 1 users

When did you interview for UTMB? Is everyone that interviewed (not early acceptance) on the waitlist until interviews finish in January?

I called TWU today to ask about my application and they told me I didn't even place on the alternate list because my science GPA was too low. Just got an acceptance letter from UTMB though!!
When did you interview with UTMB?

The information on that site was put together by a computer scanning the internet, and a lot of the information on there is wrong. They incorrectly state that TWU's program is 48 months long (it's really 33 months like most programs), which is one of the reasons I think it ranked it so low. A lot of the other info on there is wrong too, so I really wouldn't trust this website if you're looking for more "facts" about PT programs.

I interviewed early November. Friend of mine interviewed in December 11th and got her waitlist email this afternoon.
oh okay. Yeah I also interviewed Dec 11 and got a waitlist email today also. I was just curious if they accept people every interview session or if they waited till everybody interviews..

oh okay. Yeah I also interviewed Dec 11 and got a waitlist email today also. I was just curious if they accept people every interview session or if they waited till everybody interviews..
I know that they accepted a lot of people after early admission interviews then a few more after the November. I think they saved the rest till after they finished with the December group. Best of luck though! They mentioned they normally get pretty far down their waitlist. Do you have interviews at other schools?

I know that they accepted a lot of people after early admission interviews then a few more after the November. I think they saved the rest till after they finished with the December group. Best of luck though! They mentioned they normally get pretty far down their waitlist. Do you have interviews at other schools?
Thanks! Yeah I was just curious about UTMB. I just got accepted to TWU- Houston yesterday. And I am waiting to hear back from UTHSCSA. They have yet to invite me for an interview or decline me...

I also interviewed on Dec 11 at UTMB and was placed on the waitlist today. Also on the alternate list for TWU houston!

Congratulations! There's a "UTMB DPT Class of 2019" Facebook page for the entering class if that's where you decide to go!

The information on that site was put together by a computer scanning the internet, and a lot of the information on there is wrong. They incorrectly state that TWU's program is 48 months long (it's really 33 months like most programs), which is one of the reasons I think it ranked it so low. A lot of the other info on there is wrong too, so I really wouldn't trust this website if you're looking for more "facts" about PT programs.

I'm definitely looking more into it! I still have until January 15th to make my ultimate decision. I've been communicating with adjunct professors from both schools that I met through volunteering so hopefully I can get a little more insight.

Thanks! Yeah I was just curious about UTMB. I just got accepted to TWU- Houston yesterday. And I am waiting to hear back from UTHSCSA. They have yet to invite me for an interview or decline me...

During my UTMB interview, she said that everyone would be put on the waitlist until after the last interview day in January. Then they will issue acceptances based on the order of that list. I haven't heard anything from UTHSCSA either but I've read that they're holding another interview day in January so that is when we will most likely hear from them.

During my UTMB interview, she said that everyone would be put on the waitlist until after the last interview day in January. Then they will issue acceptances based on the order of that list. I haven't heard anything from UTHSCSA either but I've read that they're holding another interview day in January so that is when we will most likely hear from them.
Oh okay thanks. Yeah I didn't quite remember what they had said at the UTMB interview, but thanks for clarifying!

I got an admission offer today for TTUHSC DPT Program- Amarillo Campus:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

I got an email from Texas Tech offering me an alternate position. Is there a difference between alternate position and being waitlisted? And does anybody know if Texas Tech has a ranked or unranked system? Thanks in advance!

I got an email from Texas Tech offering me an alternate position. Is there a difference between alternate position and being waitlisted? And does anybody know if Texas Tech has a ranked or unranked system? Thanks in advance!
I got an alternate position as well. I think it is their version of the waitlist. I don't know if its ranked or not