Texas, reapplicant, 3.49 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA, MCAT: 513

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tost

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I will be reapplying next summer with a somewhat winding history:
  • Asian, 3.49 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA, top 20 engineering-heavy school
  • MCAT: 513 (129, 127, 129, 128) taken this summer
  • Very research heavy, 4+ years so far, two 2nd authorship + some others (75% bench, 25% clinical), one presentation
  • 80+ hours shadowing (ED + Trauma/ortho surgery)
  • Clinical volunteer: low-ish, I am planning upcoming year around a somewhat large volunteering project.
  • Texas resident (would love to go to TX school)
I applied 3 years ago somewhat hastily with an old MCAT of 30, received no interviews. I completed a M.S grad program since then, which ended up being way more time consuming than I expected, alongside work, and ended with 3.2 GPA sadly. I decided not to apply this cycle as I did not feel prepared to put my best foot forward, especially as a reapplicant.

I'm worried because my obvious GPA shortcomings will be scrutinized even more by seemingly GPA-loving Texas schools. I'm also wondering how my abysmal grad GPA will be taken into account.

I just moved into a new city, working as a tutor for money and continuing shadowing (thinking of continuing research for $$ as well). Do you guys have any suggestions of what I should focus on this year, especially as a reapplicant? My primary goal is to get into somewhere in Texas.

Any take on my situation would be very much appreciated, I feel so disillusioned at this point of where I actually stand. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to receive interviews at your Texas MD schools but an acceptance is more unpredictable with your GPA. I suggest applying to at least 6 DO schools (include TCOM and UIWSOM).

Hello! I will be reapplying next summer with a somewhat winding history:
  • Asian, 3.49 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA, top 20 engineering-heavy school
  • MCAT: 513 (129, 127, 129, 128) taken this summer
  • Very research heavy, 4+ years so far, two 2nd authorship + some others (75% bench, 25% clinical), one presentation
  • 80+ hours shadowing (ED + Trauma/ortho surgery)
  • Clinical volunteer: low-ish, I am planning upcoming year around a somewhat large volunteering project.
  • Texas resident (would love to go to TX school)
I applied 3 years ago somewhat hastily with an old MCAT of 30, received no interviews. I completed a M.S grad program since then, which ended up being way more time consuming than I expected, alongside work, and ended with 3.2 GPA sadly. I decided not to apply this cycle as I did not feel prepared to put my best foot forward, especially as a reapplicant.

I'm worried because my obvious GPA shortcomings will be scrutinized even more by seemingly GPA-loving Texas schools. I'm also wondering how my abysmal grad GPA will be taken into account.

I just moved into a new city, working as a tutor for money and continuing shadowing (thinking of continuing research for $$ as well). Do you guys have any suggestions of what I should focus on this year, especially as a reapplicant? My primary goal is to get into somewhere in Texas.

Any take on my situation would be very much appreciated, I feel so disillusioned at this point of where I actually stand. Thanks in advance!

You grad school GPA is a downer unfortunately but I think you would get interviews at your in state texas schools for MD. You should apply to DO schools also though. Several of the really excellent DO schools are in Tx.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That grad GPA is killer. On one hand, grad GPAs get less weight than undergrad BUT I think that is because grad programs severally inflate their grades. If I recall correctly, most grad programs consider anything less than a B to be failing, essentially meaning a 2.0 in undergrad is comparable to a 3.0 in grad school.

You've got a very unique set of stats, MD MCAT, DO undergrad, Caribbean masters GPA. You could throw in a mix of DO and MD apps and see what happens. I think you are a great candidate for DO as a 3.2+ with your MCAT is still very good. Who knows with MD, some schools might not care about grad GPA and focus heavily on MCAT. Definitely try your state schools.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's definitely comforting to hear I'm not out for the count for interviews, I do feel much more confident as an in-person applicant rather than on paper.

You've got a very unique set of stats, MD MCAT, DO undergrad, Caribbean masters GPA.
Well said.. exactly the reason I feel extra pressure to do something spectacular this upcoming year (originally was hoping to just chill out with a research job and save up some money).