Texas recommendations and secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simitree

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to all of the Texas schools for Fall 2002. I am trying to decide which professors I want to ask for letters of evaluation. (my school has a committee system) I want to know requirements for recommendation letters. Do the schools ask for another faculty recommendation, in addition to the one you initially send? I have heard that for some schools, it is best to "save" a prof to write you a really good letter in the end, just in case they ask. Can anyone elaborate? Does this even apply to me? Because I wouldn't want to "waste" a really good letter. Also, what are the secondary applications like for the Texas schools? Thanks!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Simitree --

I am a year ahead of you in this application process, so I have just completed the Texas applications. I also come from a school with a committee letter system. I have never heard of anyone being asked for an additional faculty letter, so my recommendation is to get the best possible ones for your committee. Don't save your best one. I'm not sure where you heard this, but I haven't heard of anything like it.

As for secondaries, they are pretty easy. Some don't have any (UT-Houston, UTMB?), and some have pretty short ones that aren't bad (UT-Southwestern, A&M, UT-San Antonio). Some ask for additional money, some do not. But the common application definitey makes the process much easier.

Crafty-
Thank you! I appreciate your help.
-Simitree

I am also a year ahead of you as well. At my school the pre-med committee gets quotes and comments from all the science faculty. This is then used for the Pre-med advisor to write her recommendation letter. I went ahead and asked two of the science faculty to write recommendation letters as well. One of the teachers was in charge of the lab assistants so I thought it would ne nice to ask. Remember give them plenty of time and give them bio on you.