Texas Residency question, any fellow Texans online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masribrahh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred to UT Austin in the fall of 2011 so by the time applications roll around, I'd have lived here for 19 consecutive months.

I am independent from my parents and paid in-state taxes for the 2010-2011 year and will pay in-state taxes for the upcoming 2011-2012 year.

I started my own business in October and have it registered in the state of Texas. So by the time applications open, my business will have been active for 8 months.

I pay rent and utilities in Texas. I have a Texas drivers license and my car is also registered in the state of Texas.

Will that be enough to grant me in-state status when I apply through TMDSAS?

Members don't see this ad.

From TMDSAS's website:

"If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, October 1; and
Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, October 1, by doing one of the following:

Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment) - Gainful employment is employment that provides an income that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual's tuition and living expenses or that represents an average of at least twenty hours of employment per week

Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence

Own and operate a business in Texas

Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas"

It appears you must have owned and operated a business (plus have lived in TX for 12 months prior) for 12 months prior to the deadline, which is Oct. 1st. It looks like you're right on the border for it; in that case, I would probably call up TMDSAS/Participating TX schools to further explain your situation.

Ya I read that and found it a bit confusing. I have no idea how strict these guidelines are and I really, really hope they allow some leeway.

So if someone for example had a business for 10 months as opposed to 12, they would outright reject him/her in-state status? Hopefully having a car/drivers license here will further "prove" that I should be considered for in-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I read that and found it a bit confusing. I have no idea how strict these guidelines are and I really, really hope they allow some leeway.

So if someone for example had a business for 10 months as opposed to 12, they would outright reject him/her in-state status? Hopefully having a car/drivers license here will further "prove" that I should be considered for in-state.

They are very strict since the question just asks "have you (blank) for at least the 12 months before..." It doesn't say are you really really close and really want to pay in-state tuition.

If you work you only have to work 20hrs a week to count as fully employed for residency purposes.

http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?ObjectID=6D1466D9-AEA5-DE00-C12F3F75E7367718

Go there, download the residency questionnaire and fill it out and you will see where you stand. Also you can file an appeal if you don't get resident status initially.

Also I'm proud of you paying in-state taxes... didn't realize we had any but more power to ya.

Last edited:
They are very strict since the question just asks "have you (blank) for at least the 12 months before..." It doesn't say are you really really close and really want to pay in-state tuition.

http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?ObjectID=6D1466D9-AEA5-DE00-C12F3F75E7367718

Go there, download the residency questionnaire and fill it out and you will see where you stand. Also you can file an appeal if you don't get resident status initially.
Thanks for the link, I'll read through it now.

I definitely put in 20ish hours a week maintaining the business, however it is self-owned and I'm the only employee. I started the business myself with the help of a financial advisor/accountant. So I don't know how I can prove to TMDSAS that I've been putting in the hours, if they needed proof.