Texas Residency Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused2626

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

By the rules, I should qualify as a resident. I am a dependent of my parents, and they just moved to Texas last March 2008...which is more than enough time for the 12 month gainfully employed for the 2010 admission cycle. I have had a Texas driver's license since August, and am a Texas registered voter since this fall.

So, by the rules, I should have no problem being a resident, right? Will schools ask how long I've lived in Texas or anything and give preference to "lifer-ers"? There are a lot of questions that concern me on the http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/residency/resfaq.html#q1 residency questionnaire, such that I never went to Highschool in Texas or never went to a university in Texas.

Kind of a sucky situation since I had no problem being a resident of my home state but go to school in a third state and would otherwise have had no claim of residency in my original state.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your parents still claim you as their dependent there shouldn't be any problem getting Texas residency for TMDSAS. I highly doubt they give preference based on how long you live here, however they want people who are going to stay in Texas to practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as your parents still claim you as their dependent there shouldn't be any problem getting Texas residency for TMDSAS. I highly doubt they give preference based on how long you live here, however they want people who are going to stay in Texas to practice.

That makes me feel better. Yeah, my Dad wanted me to not be a dependent anymore (even though I am by definition...I get more than half my support from him) so that I could get more money on tax refunds, but I absolutely told him I had to be a dependent or else I really would be stateless. This is the last year I can be a dependent (I'm getting too old), but I think by next year it won't matter since then I will have lived in Texas for 2.5 years.

Out of curiosity, what happens if somebody is stateless like I could have been? Are they just SOL? I am happy they moved early enough so I avoided this, it was a close call with this economy.

Out of curiosity, what happens if somebody is stateless like I could have been? Are they just SOL?

You can usually get your last state to take you back, if you cough up any outstanding income tax.

I have a question about Texas residency. I'm out of state. I'm thinking of finishing college and applying for medical school in Texas the summer after my Senior year.

I will apply and then move to Texas.

1. Will I get instate residency in terms of my app? If not will I be considered an out of state applicant or will I get some priviliges if I move there?

2. If I get in will I get in-state tuition the first year since I will enter medical school after living there for one year?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
1. Will I get instate residency in terms of my app? If not will I be considered an out of state applicant or will I get some priviliges if I move there?

2. If I get in will I get in-state tuition the first year since I will enter medical school after living there for one year?

Thanks for your help.

for number 1, not only do you have to live there for 12 months, you have to be employed full time (not currently in a texas institution of high education) for 12 months. This was my hang up, since I am still in school (not in texas), but I am a dependent of somebody who is just barely 12 months employed

For number 2, you will not get in-state tuition. You cannot become a resident by only being in Texas due to higher education

for number 1, not only do you have to live there for 12 months, you have to be employed full time (not currently in a texas institution of high education) for 12 months. This was my hang up, since I am still in school (not in texas), but I am a dependent of somebody who is just barely 12 months employed

For number 2, you will not get in-state tuition. You cannot become a resident by only being in Texas due to higher education

I remember reading something about getting baptized in the Brazos river by Judge Roy Bean as a requirement also.

My location says Provo, but I am Texan through and through so I am allowed to make that joke...just so everyone knows.

seelee- my location in Atlanta but grew up in Texas and am still Texan...

Emmet- There is a loop hole for getting instate tuition if you are Out of State- it requires that the school offer you a $1000 or greater merit scholarship that is renewable for each year- if they do this then you are given instate tuition and the scholarship...

I got this deal but just so you know while Texas schools can offer up to 10% of its class seats to OOS students only 1/2 of that 10% (so 5% of class) can get the tuition/scholarship offer... the other half must pay OOS tuition- this is the Texas way of attracting the students they want from OOS but not getting a zillion applicatios just because of the low tuition.