1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Texas residency status - freaked out!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tulanensis, Jun 19, 2008.

1. tulanensis

tulanensis Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ok, I've been accepted to a TX med school as a TX resident, but I have a unique situation and I'm freaking out b/c I have to fill out a residency form. I've lived in TX my entire life and went to undergrad in TX. After undergrad, I went out of state for grad school, which I know still allows me to keep my TX residency.

This is the problem: After grad school, I started working in a lab out of state. It's 10 months later and I'm back in TX. I still have retained my TX bank accounts, voter registration, drivers license, etc...I can't claim residency in any other state, because I haven't lived anywhere else for 12 consecutive months. But, I also haven't lived in TX for 12 consecutive months either.

I'm afraid I'll have my acceptance rescinded if I'm technically not a TX resident. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I tried looking at the state's website for residence classification, but can't find anything useful. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. galaxie

galaxie "visualize success"
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    As long as your permanent residence is still in Texas, you should be fine. You lived, went to school, and worked outside the state of a period of time, but your permanent address remained in Texas, correct?

This should help: http://www.texasonline.com/portal/tol/en/liv/9/6

4. tulanensis

tulanensis Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Absolutely correct! That's a relief :)

5. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Eh, wait, so you had an address in Texas that you maintained this entire time (owned or rented)?

6. tulanensis

tulanensis Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My permanent address is my parents' house, but I'm not a dependent of theirs. This also adds to the confusion.

7. tulanensis

tulanensis Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think I found the clause for my case; what do you think?

"Statutory Provision:
    Texas Education Code Sec. 54.052 (g). An individual who would have been classified as a resident for the first five of the six years immediately preceding registration but who resided in another state for all or part of the year immediately preceding registration shall be classified as a resident student."