Texas Residency vs New Mexico Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tanner90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time follower of this forum, first post.

I currently have the opportunity to potentially receive Texas residency. The way I am going about it, it is kind of risky and I may not end up with Texas Residency. If not, I will be left with New Mexico residency.

New Mexico has agreements with:

Baylor
UMKC
All of the WICHE schools (9 total)

Texas Residents only have the three dental schools.

Here is my question, which of these residencies in your option would be better to have?

Members don't see this ad.

You really don't know the answer to your question?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious why are you switching residency?

Why would I make this post?
It's a good thing you do not have more difficult decisions to make. But, let's see: NM has no dental schools and you are at the mercy of WICHE, and while there 9 of them, each has a limited number of seats reserved whereas Tx has 3 dental schools with roughly 300 enrollees. Can you do the math?

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably the easiest question I've ever had to answer on SDN.

Texas.

It's a good thing you do not have more difficult decisions to make. But, let's see: NM has no dental schools and you are at the mercy of WICHE, and while there 9 of them, each has a limited number of seats reserved whereas Tx has 3 dental schools with roughly 300 enrollees. Can you do the math?
According to predds.net, there are 3615 applicants to the three texas dental schools and 284 seats. This year with the WICHE there were 21 applicants with 12 spots to give. So technically you have a 57% chance of getting the WICHE (i dont know the acceptance rates for dental schools and WICHE students) and a 12.7% chance of getting into a texas dental school, the decision isn't as easy as you make it seem.
I got accepted to Creighton, UMKC and Midwestern this cycle and being a WICHE student definitely helped me. 3.9 overall, 3.75 sgpa, 20 DAT and a whopping 64 credits at the time of my application. I also got the WICHE scholarship, $24,800 a year for 4 years. So basically if you have decent stats you have a pretty good chance at getting acceptance and the WICHE.

http://predds.net/dental-school-admission-statistics/

Last edited:
According to predds.net, there are 3615 applicants to the three texas dental schools and 284 seats. This year with the WICHE there were 21 applicants with 12 spots to give. So technically you have a 57% chance of getting the WICHE (i dont know the acceptance rates for dental schools and WICHE students) and a 12.7% chance of getting into a texas dental school, the decision isn't as easy as you make it seem. I got accepted to Creighton, UMKC and Midwestern this cycle and being a WICHE student definitely helped me. 3.9 overall, 3.75 sgpa, 20 DAT and a whopping 64 credits at the time of my application. I also got the WICHE scholarship, $24,800 a year for 4 years. So basically if you have decent stats you have a pretty good chance at getting acceptance and the WICHE.http://predds.net/dental-school-admission-statistics/
Where did the WICHE numbers come from?

Reactions: 1 user
Long time follower of this forum, first post.

I currently have the opportunity to potentially receive Texas residency. The way I am going about it, it is kind of risky and I may not end up with Texas Residency. If not, I will be left with New Mexico residency.

New Mexico has agreements with:

Baylor
UMKC
All of the WICHE schools (9 total)

Texas Residents only have the three dental schools.

Here is my question, which of these residencies in your option would be better to have?
What you should ask yourself is would you rather live in New Mexico or Texas when you're a dentist. Getting the WICHE requires you to move back to New Mexico for four years.

As a former New Mexico resident for the 2014-2015 application cycle, I would suggest you be absolutely POSITIVE you are eligible to be a Texas resident if you plan on applying to the Texas schools. My residency status was reclassified by TMDSAS to a "non-resident status" after applying this past cycle and I believe it severally hurt my chances of getting even getting an interview at the Texas schools. I was very fortunate to have received one interview from a Texas school and was accepted in late January. I feel extremely lucky to have been accepted as a "non-resident" according to my application, but because of this whole situation I have proceeded to secure my residency status by buying real property in Texas and plan on attending this fall with the full benefits of an in-state resident. With that being said, it is in your best interest to be sure you are in fact a Texas resident before even considering applying to these schools...

According to predds.net, there are 3615 applicants to the three texas dental schools and 284 seats. This year with the WICHE there were 21 applicants with 12 spots to give. So technically you have a 57% chance of getting the WICHE (i dont know the acceptance rates for dental schools and WICHE students) and a 12.7% chance of getting into a texas dental school, the decision isn't as easy as you make it seem.
I got accepted to Creighton, UMKC and Midwestern this cycle and being a WICHE student definitely helped me. 3.9 overall, 3.75 sgpa, 20 DAT and a whopping 64 credits at the time of my application. I also got the WICHE scholarship, $24,800 a year for 4 years. So basically if you have decent stats you have a pretty good chance at getting acceptance and the WICHE.

http://predds.net/dental-school-admission-statistics/
You are using a mixed bag, albeit of dated information. There is a big difference between being a resident of a WICHE State and being an applicant of a WICHE State. Since the WICHE applicant pool is preselected by the States in question, the numbers, however accurate, present a skewed statistic of acceptance rate. By the same token, the number of applicants for the Tx schools is not an accurate reflection of chance of acceptance since, at least, for Tx residents, there is a high likely hood that they would be applying to all of the Tx schools.

Last edited:
You are using a mixed bag, albeit of dated information. There is a big difference between being a resident of a WICHE State and being an applicant of a WICHE State. Since the WICHE applicant pool is preselected by the States in question, the numbers, however accurate, present a skewed statistic of acceptance rate. By the same token, the number of applicants for the Tx schools is not an accurate reflection of chance of acceptance since, at least, for Tx residents, there is a high likely hood that they would be applying to all of the Tx schools.
I understand that the numbers are skewed in that way, however, I was just presenting a quick set of numbers to show that his question is not that absurd. If he has the stats to get into a texas school then it is very likely that they are also high enough to get the WICHE (as you can see by mine I am an average applicant with no degree and recieved the funding). But either way, as I stated above, the OP should base his decision off of where he wants to live when he becomes a dentist because the WICHE requires him to move back to NM for four years of service.

I understand that the numbers are skewed in that way, however, I was just presenting a quick set of numbers to show that his question is not that absurd. If he has the stats to get into a texas school then it is very likely that they are also high enough to get the WICHE (as you can see by mine I am an average applicant with no degree and recieved the funding). But either way, as I stated above, the OP should base his decision off of where he wants to live when he becomes a dentist because the WICHE requires him to move back to NM for four years of service.
It is difficulty to give any rational advice since we know nothing about his personal situation. It may not make much difference on how competitive an applicant is if he/she has no intention of sticking out in NM after ds. Your gpa is not exactly average, but....

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your input. I too did not feel it was as cut and dry as it seemed but I do feel better about sticking with NM residency. My ultimate fear is to apply to schools under the title of Texas residency and have Texas reject my residency so in every schools eyes I am texas except for Texas where I would be NM. I have a huge desire to buy a practice right out of dental school (hence the reason I am a business undergrad) and I feel limited if I have to go back to NM to do so.

I am studying for the DAT right now and am sitting with a 3.6 GPA and a 4.0sGPA. (Stupid freshman year partying)

Thanks guys for all your input. I too did not feel it was as cut and dry as it seemed but I do feel better about sticking with NM residency. My ultimate fear is to apply to schools under the title of Texas residency and have Texas reject my residency so in every schools eyes I am texas except for Texas where I would be NM. I have a huge desire to buy a practice right out of dental school (hence the reason I am a business undergrad) and I feel limited if I have to go back to NM to do so.

I am studying for the DAT right now and am sitting with a 3.6 GPA and a 4.0sGPA. (Stupid freshman year partying)
Why do you feel limited if you have to go back to NM to buy a practice? It's actually a great place to practice dentistry

Why do you feel limited if you have to go back to NM to buy a practice? It's actually a great place to practice dentistry
Well I feel limited in the fact that I HAVE to go back to one state. I am a business minded professional and I would like to keep my options open to be able to buy the right practice anywhere and build it up and sell it. I can still do that in NM I guess but it just limits my options