Texas Resident, 27Q, 3.5, Disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Exalya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at applying to the MD schools in Texas, since I am a resident. I really like UTMB and UT San Antonio. I'm hoping I have a chance, so here goes...

I know that my MCAT in particular could be better (8P/11V/8B/Q)--I was scoring 32-35 on practice tests. I did not have the money for prep materials, a prep course, or anything else. I got all of my stuff from used book stores, so it was all 2 years or older. It was the best I could do and I can't afford to retake at the moment. I'm applying osteopathic outside Texas, since I do know that realistically my numbers aren't impressive. Those are my weaknesses.

My strengths: 19 years old, came out of poverty/abuse (on my own at 16), interesting personal statement about how I got here. My application is nearly to the verification process, so I'm not applying late, but not as early as I wanted (transcript issues). My EC's are not bad, and are as follows--

1000+ hrs as a Biology Laboratory Technician
80 hrs Volunteering in Emergency Room
50 Hrs as a Red Cross Disaster Team Member
300 hrs volunteering at a public observatory
100+ hrs volunteering with a biology summer science camp for kids
Currently shadowing a Family Practice D.O. (Will end up with ~30 hrs)
8 hours surgical observation
President of the APSU Students for Barack Obama Organization
Member of the Pre-medical Association
Graduate of the Western College of Auctioneering
Owner of Cooper Auctioneers
Currently volunteering at a child advocacy center
Pianist
Worked all throughout college (20+ hrs/week)

(Edit) I also have good LORS: genetics professor, laboratory supervisor, ecology professor, and philosophy professor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying my hand at applying to the MD schools in Texas, since I am a resident. I really like UTMB and UT San Antonio. I'm hoping I have a chance, so here goes...

I know that my MCAT in particular could be better (8P/11V/8B/Q)--I was scoring 32-35 on practice tests. I did not have the money for prep materials, a prep course, or anything else. I got all of my stuff from used book stores, so it was all 2 years or older. It was the best I could do and I can't afford to retake at the moment. I'm applying osteopathic outside Texas, since I do know that realistically my numbers aren't impressive. Those are my weaknesses.

My strengths: 19 years old, came out of poverty/abuse (on my own at 16), interesting personal statement about how I got here. My application is nearly to the verification process, so I'm not applying late, but not as early as I wanted (transcript issues). My EC's are not bad, and are as follows--

Pianist

(Edit) I also have good LORS: genetics professor, laboratory supervisor, ecology professor, and philosophy professor.

Good stuff, I like your story, and your overall application, except that MCAT of course. IMO, if you were scoring 32-35 on practice tests CONSISTENTLY, retake the test immediately. The 27 is just too far away from 32-35 to be legit. Even if you get a 30, you will have a good shot at San Antonio and UTMB. Honestly though, I think it will be really tough with a 27.

I would like to retake (I think getting an extra point in each section would be no problem), but I will not have the funds to do so for another month or two. Will it even help me at that point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to retake (I think getting an extra point in each section would be no problem), but I will not have the funds to do so for another month or two. Will it even help me at that point?

If you can break a 30 no problem, I think it will help you, simply because at this point with a 27, I'm not even sure you will get in. However, 27-29 would not be helpful, obviously. And also obviously, the higher the better. If you can get into that 32-35 range, it will be very, very helpful.

I'm sorry the funds are so difficult :( I hope things work out for you - I think you are well on your way!!

the mcat has a fee assistance program. if youre still short, id ask some friends/boss/coworkers/etc. to borrow some cash and retake that sucker.

however, its starting to get late in this application cycle...

its up to you. but if i were in your shoes, id retake. i know youre financially strapped for cash but think long term. dont risk your future over a few hundred dollars.

good luck!

Pianist

hi you doing im currently trying to shadow a D.O i joint a mentor site through there national association site but never herd form one concerning shadowing its been three months how were you able to shadow?

Pianist

Wow it was weird reading your situation. Our background story are very similar (16 on my own from poverty/abuse). The only difference is our MCAT and Extracurics (you have more extracurics). You'd be extremely competitive for D.O. school.

As for MD I'll tell you what everyone tells me, "It's still possible to get into med school because you are very unique. You have shown perseverance through through adversity and that shows great character."

hi you doing im currently trying to shadow a D.O i joint a mentor site through there national association site but never herd form one concerning shadowing its been three months how were you able to shadow?

What the heck is this lol.

the mcat has a fee assistance program. if youre still short, id ask some friends/boss/coworkers/etc. to borrow some cash and retake that sucker.

however, its starting to get late in this application cycle...

its up to you. but if i were in your shoes, id retake. i know youre financially strapped for cash but think long term. dont risk your future over a few hundred dollars.

good luck!

Yeah, I tried to get fee assistance for applications/MCAT, but they require parental information regardless of independent status/estrangement. It's a totally messed up system and it makes me really, really angry. I guess I'll cross my fingers this time around, because I've heard that many schools don't take an MCAT score that is later than September, and I would have to wait until then to have enough money.

As for the person with the DO question, my advice is to be persistent. Follow up by calling the people back and check all towns within your area. I had to drive an hour to get to the guy I found, but it was worth it.

Last edited: