Texas Resident: 3.55 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, MCAT 34P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubisco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a shot. Texas residency goes a long way towards helping you get into Texas med schools.

Although your GPA is a bit low, your MCAT score is very good. Do you have an upward grade trend (you appear to have a good reason for the lower than average grades, so adcoms may be willing to cut you a little slack, since your MCAT indicates that you are a relatively bright person)?

In addition, I have heard that UTHSCSA has a pretty holistic process for evaluating applicants (at least compared to schools like UTSW), so they might be willing to look past your GPA. TCOM is certainly in reach. Since you're not applying this year, just be sure to maintain a strong GPA this coming year.

Last edited:
Texas Resident: 3.55 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, MCAT 34P
Biochemistry/ Cell Biology Major at top 3 University of California School
Ethnicity: Filipino/ Caucasian
Financially disadvantaged: Receives the Pell Grant
First generation college student
Other circumstances:
Had to help take care of my aunt with Alzheimer's for two years, which sometimes meant I missed out on volunteer opportunities. I live with my other aunt, who works during the day, so she expected me to try to get home early to watch my aunt with Alzheimers because sometimes she'll try to wander off.

Extracurriculars:
Predental society: 25 hrs volunteering in free clinic, tasks included assisting dentist with suctioning and other small tasks, taking blood pressure and getting patient history, educating patient about post-op care and how to correctly brush teeth
Cancer outreach team: 30 hrs outreaching about breast cancer at asian grocery stores, included educating asian women about breast cancer and mammograms
Shadowing: ~100 hrs shadowing cardiologist, primary care physician, endocrinologist, and general surgeon
Hospital volunteer: ~100 hrs
Hospice volunteer: ~50 hrs

I'm not applying until June 2012, so hopefully I can do some research and obtain more clinical experience.

Do I have a shot at any of the Texas schools, including UNT-TCOM? I'm also really interested in UTHSCSA med school, since I'm from San Antonio.

Clinical involvement/volunteering looks weak (as far as depth goes), and you haven't presented much in the way of academic or non-academic achievements. Helping your aunt is great, but unless you were her caregiver, it's difficult to say how much of an impact it would have on your application. Also, you really need to distinguish yourself other than playing "victim," which is a common trap that applicants fall into (besides making you sound desperate). Being a Texas resident though will help your case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical involvement/volunteering looks weak (as far as depth goes), and you haven't presented much in the way of academic or non-academic achievements. Helping your aunt is great, but unless you were her caregiver, it's difficult to say how much of an impact it would have on your application. Also, you really need to distinguish yourself other than playing "victim," which is a common trap that applicants fall into (besides making you sound desperate). Being a Texas resident though will help your case.

I second that. Also, try to get some non-clinical volunteering in there. Your application is skewed very heavily towards clinical activities, so it might be good to branch out a bit.

I don't think you should downplay not being disadvantaged either though. Isn't that the point of AMCAS inserting the new childhood information section? http://www.studentdoctor.net/2011/05/2012-amcas-changes/ Didn't they insert that portion because people who were actually disadvantaged were being too modest? I think there are a lot of people who apply that have a father and mother who are physicians. Being first generation college student seems like it would put me at a disadvantage compared to people who grow up with physician parents.

I second that. Also, try to get some non-clinical volunteering in there. Your application is skewed very heavily towards clinical activities, so it might be good to branch out a bit.

I'm going to try to get in some non-clinical volunteer work over my gap year.

I don't think you should downplay not being disadvantaged either though. Isn't that the point of AMCAS inserting the new childhood information section? http://www.studentdoctor.net/2011/05/2012-amcas-changes/ Didn't they insert that portion because people who were actually disadvantaged were being too modest? I think there are a lot of people who apply that have a father and mother who are physicians. Being first generation college student seems like it would put me at a disadvantage compared to people who grow up with physician parents.

I don't think being a first generation college student constitutes being disadvantaged (i.e. first generation =/= poor). Neither does coming from a family with no physicians.

Coming from an impoverished background, if it significantly affected your educational opportunities / life experiences / access to medical care, would probably better qualify you as disadvantaged.

I have nothing useful to contribute :laugh:, but just wanted to drop in and tell you we are stat twins (except I am from Florida, where even pizza sweats as I found out today, and I did not go to fancy schmancy school for undergrad), so just check out my MDapps in a year and see if I made it :xf:.

Wait, I guess I do have some useful advice :D. As you are already painfully aware of (of this I am certain), the sGPA is on the low side. Try to take at least 2-4 classes over the course of your gap year as a non-degree seeking student so you can raise the sGPA to at least a 3.45. The more classes, the better. But of course, you need to ensure you are getting a string of A's, so diagnose what was holding you back before, and how to deal with it before jumping into more classes. I personally happen to think each .01 increase counts. Good luck!

I have nothing useful to contribute :laugh:, but just wanted to drop in and tell you we are stat twins (except I am from Florida, where even pizza sweats as I found out today, and I did not go to fancy schmancy school for undergrad), so just check out my MDapps in a year and see if I made it :xf:.

Wait, I guess I do have some useful advice :D. As you are already painfully aware of (of this I am certain), the sGPA is on the low side. Try to take at least 2-4 classes over the course of your gap year as a non-degree seeking student so you can raise the sGPA to at least a 3.45. The more classes, the better. But of course, you need to ensure you are getting a string of A's, so diagnose what was holding you back before, and how to deal with it before jumping into more classes. I personally happen to think each .01 increase counts. Good luck!

Sounds like a good idea. I'm planning to take two semesters of classes at the local community college since its cheaper. I'll be taking Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Microbiology, and the labs.