1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Texas resident, look for OOS suggestions

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by hx87, Jul 27, 2011.

1. hx87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is my first time applying to medical school. As a Texas resident, I'm applying to all 9 in-state schools, but would like some suggestions for OOS schools (MD and DO).

Here are my stats:

• BS in Chemical Engineering from Caltech
    • cGPA: 3.4
    • sGPA: 3.5
    • MCAT: 40N (14/12/14)

Extracurriculars:

• President of a club for 3 years in undergrad
    • Spent a spring break clearing invasive species from Owens Lake
    • 120 hours of volunteering at EC in a Level I trauma center
    • 120 hours of physical shadowing (PCP, surgical oncology, infectious diseases)
    • Will begin volunteering at Houston Zoo at beginning of next month

Research:

• 1 summer in bioengineering/synthetic biology lab at Caltech. Presented research at MIT in 2007.
    • 1 year in transplant immunology lab at MD Anderson Cancer Center, studying possible breast cancer vaccine targets. 2 peer-reviewed publications, 2 more in the pipeline, 4 abstracts, 2 presentations (including annual meeting of American Society of Hematology).

BTW, how are my chances if I submitted my primaries right now?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BuffNerd

BuffNerd ____________

Pre-Medical
    It's a little late for TMDSAS, but I would go for it if I were you (if you can get all your stuff together quickly...if you're needing to wait on PS/LOR's, etc...I wouldn't be as certain).
    As far as OOS schools, I'd suggest looking at some private schools, although they'll be very expensive compared to TX in-state. With your stellar MCAT, you could definitely add some state schools if you're interested in them (Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Colorado, etc.).
    As far as private schools, you could look at Creighton, Saint Louis University, Wake Forest, Case Western, etc. It depends on what region you want to be in...your GPA is a little low, but I bet your monster MCAT will help make up for it...

4. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Being a Cal Tech graduate with a 40 will take you very far. I would put together a list that combines top schools and mid-tier schools. I don't think you need to apply to Osteopathic to be honest. If you do, you're good for any campus you'd like.

5. hx87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the advice, y'all!

6. sha15

Pre-Medical
    yea unless you just love DO, I wouldn't bother - you'd be King DO; might even have to have a special tv program "The Decision" to see where you will take your talents

7. kautionwirez

kautionwirez Hadoken!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    your MCAT is really high, except for the N (but made up in the VR section).

average DO school is around a 25, average MD is a 32

Apply to both if you like. But if you are more into MD, then I'd do MD only.

8. Meihua

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Slightly tangential, but my brother said that at one of his MSTP interviews last year (forgot which - probably Northwestern or Duke), an adcom specifically told them that with respect to GPAs, "[we don't care] what school you went to unless you're a chemical engineer from MIT or Caltech." So you definitely get a little leeway there. :)

Like everyone else has mentioned, you don't need to bother with DO - you'll get into allopathic somewhere in Texas.