Texas resident school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shashashaa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a strong preference for staying in Texas but will be applying to a handful of OOS schools to increase my chances of acceptance. Please let me know your thoughts on my school list. Should I add any or remove some? Thanks!

UH College of Medicine
UT Southwestern Medical School
UT Medical Branch at Galveston
McGovern Medical School at UT HSC Houston
Long School of Medicine at UT HSC San Antonio
UT Austin Dell Medical School
UT Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine
Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine
Texas Tech HSC SOM at Lubbock
UNT HSC Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Texas Tech HSC Paul L Foster SOM at El Paso Sam
Houston State Uni. College of Osteopathic Medicine
Vanderbilt
Emory
UM Miller
University of Alabama (strong state ties, was born here and still have lots of family here)
TCU

My information:
  1. 3.8 cGPA/sGPA
  2. MCAT taken twice: 511 (127, 126, 126,132) and 518 (130, 129, 129, 130)
  3. Texas resident
  4. Caucasian female
  5. BS from a state school
  6. My clinical experience includes a 3 month volunteer position in a clinic working as a CNA and paid CNA positions during undergrad. I am currently working full-time as an EMT in a busy EMS service.
  7. My research experience comes from being in a lab for a year and a half. I have a case report, abstract, and poster published. All were first or second author.
  8. I have well over 150 hours shadowing and have shadowed OB/GYN, pediatric, EM, and surgery.
  9. I have volunteered as a Big Sister for 2.5 years

Members don't see this ad.

Do you really want to go to SHSU? I'd remove this given your stats.

Chances are best with TMDSAS schools + Baylor. If you really wanna throw the money at Vanderbilt, Emory, go ahead. Understand that the COA at these OOS private schools is much more and if netting an acceptance at a TMDSAS school, would you really be willing to fork this out? This is the OOS school sentiment towards Texas residents.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need to apply OOS unless it's a school you would pick over a TMDSAS school. Your stats are perfectly sufficient for a TX acceptance. I had a similar app to yours, applied to 20 OOS schools as a TX resident and got 0 interviews outside of TX. I'd take out Alabama and Miller. If you want to take chances on top 20 OOS schools you can, but I wouldn't apply OOS just to increase odds of acceptance.

I would add Baylor though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies. I’ll update my school list accordingly.

I applied this year (as a reapplicant) with much lower stats (2 MCATS 507, 515 and a 3.6 GPA) while enrolled in a 1 year SMP at UNTHSC. I applied to 10 Texas schools and received 7 interviews. I think with your experiences and statistics you have a very good shot. I don't think you need to apply to Sam Houston either. Best of luck! Feel free to DM me for more specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.