Texas Resident! What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miss chievous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TMDSAS cGPA: 3.68
TMDSAS sGPA: 3.68

1st MCAT (April 2012): 10/5/9: 24L
2nd MCAT (April 2013): 12/10/10: 32

What I did during undergrad (2007-2011)
Healthcare: 130 hours volunteer at a rehab clinic; 90 hours volunteer at another rehab clinic; 60 hours shadowed optometrist
Community Service: hippotherapy (100 hours); animal shelter (120 hours)
Research: 8 months (140 hours total); no publications
Academic Recognition: some scholarships; Dean's list a few semesters
Employment/Leadership: coached for a semester (100 hours)

What I've done in the past 2 years (2011-2013)
Healthcare: shadowed pediatrician (30 hours); shadowed gynecologist (50 hours); worked as a scribe for 4 Internists (400 hours)
Community Service: AIDS clinic (140 hours); Tutor (100 hours)
Leadership: TA for Anatomy and Physiology II
Also took a class or two each semester so my brain would stay active (I took these 2 gap years to make sure medicine is what I really wanted to do)

What I'll be doing this upcoming year (2013-2014)
Masters in Biomedical Sciences (one year program)

Leisure activities include running, yoga, boxing, and weightlifting.

Members don't see this ad.

You look like a very competitive applicant to me --
Very good numbers,
excellent ECs,
very good work experience.
I don't see any red flags --

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow congrats on bumping that MCAT up. You are a solid applicant. You have nothing to worry about especially considering you are a Texas resident (I'm Jealous because I'm from CA). Good luck.

I think you've done all of the right things. If you're really dead set on staying in texas, that's totally fine-but i think you'll also do well applying elsewhere. On a personal level, I do appreciate that you've spent the time to really figure out if medicine is what you want to do and actually getting some real work experience (scribe) and the volunteering experience that can attest commitment and understanding of what you're actually getting yourself into.

One of the things I hear people talk about is quality versus quantity. Quality is usually far more important, but one argument in favor of quantity is that you really get to see how people respond to seeing the same thing over and over again. It's one thing to see all of this unfamiliar new stuff within the first few hours of volunteering/work, but it's another thing when you've been doing it for a year or so. If you still enjoy it, it means a lot more. Keep up the good work, and make sure you apply broadly. I think adcoms will appreciate your experiences.

I think you've done all of the right things. If you're really dead set on staying in texas, that's totally fine-but i think you'll also do well applying elsewhere. On a personal level, I do appreciate that you've spent the time to really figure out if medicine is what you want to do and actually getting some real work experience (scribe) and the volunteering experience that can attest commitment and understanding of what you're actually getting yourself into.

One of the things I hear people talk about is quality versus quantity. Quality is usually far more important, but one argument in favor of quantity is that you really get to see how people respond to seeing the same thing over and over again. It's one thing to see all of this unfamiliar new stuff within the first few hours of volunteering/work, but it's another thing when you've been doing it for a year or so. If you still enjoy it, it means a lot more. Keep up the good work, and make sure you apply broadly. I think adcoms will appreciate your experiences.

Aww, thank you so much for those kind words :D

And yeah, I'm definitely looking to stay in state (tuition is so cheap here!).

TMDSAS cGPA: 3.68
TMDSAS sGPA: 3.68

1st MCAT (April 2012): 10/5/9: 24L
2nd MCAT (April 2013): 12/10/10: 32

What I did during undergrad (2007-2011)
Healthcare: 130 hours volunteer at a rehab clinic; 90 hours volunteer at another rehab clinic; 60 hours shadowed optometrist
Community Service: hippotherapy (100 hours); animal shelter (120 hours)
Research: 8 months (140 hours total); no publications
Academic Recognition: some scholarships; Dean's list a few semesters
Employment/Leadership: coached for a semester (100 hours)

What I've done in the past 2 years (2011-2013)
Healthcare: shadowed pediatrician (30 hours); shadowed gynecologist (50 hours); worked as a scribe for 4 Internists (400 hours)
Community Service: AIDS clinic (140 hours); Tutor (100 hours)
Leadership: TA for Anatomy and Physiology II
Also took a class or two each semester so my brain would stay active (I took these 2 gap years to make sure medicine is what I really wanted to do)

What I'll be doing this upcoming year (2013-2014)
Masters in Biomedical Sciences (one year program)

Leisure activities include running, yoga, boxing, and weightlifting.

Is this by any chance the SMP at UNTHSC?
If so, you should have a great shot at the TCOM linkage admissions at the very least and a handful of interviews.

Is this by any chance the SMP at UNTHSC?
If so, you should have a great shot at the TCOM linkage admissions at the very least and a handful of interviews.

Yeah, but I really don't want to do DO to be honest

Yeah, but I really don't want to do DO to be honest

I understand the reluctance to go DO, especially if you dont want to focus a whole lot on primary care/patient interaction.

Just do well in the program and you should be set. A&M has a reputation for picking up a lot of the applicants from the UNTHSC SMP pool, as you will come to realize. And I am sure your MCAT increase will land you an MD.

a word of caution though: If you do not maintain an adequate GPA in the SMP, it will hurt your chances because it shows that youre not as committed or upto par to handle med school level courses.

If you have questions about the program, feel free to PM me.

I understand the reluctance to go DO, especially if you dont want to focus a whole lot on primary care/patient interaction.

Just do well in the program and you should be set. A&M has a reputation for picking up a lot of the applicants from the UNTHSC SMP pool, as you will come to realize. And I am sure your MCAT increase will land you an MD.

a word of caution though: If you do not maintain an adequate GPA in the SMP, it will hurt your chances because it shows that youre not as committed or upto par to handle med school level courses.

If you have questions about the program, feel free to PM me.

Thanks a lot man. What do you think my chances are at the UT schools (UTMB, UT-SA, UT-Houston). I know it's weak for UT Southwestern.

Thanks a lot man. What do you think my chances are at the UT schools (UTMB, UT-SA, UT-Houston). I know it's weak for UT Southwestern.

You'll get interviews at the first two most likely. likely as well on UT houston. Southwestern isnt out of the running. We had a student in our class get an II with a 28/3.7uGPA so i think you might have a shot provided that your ECs are good.

Are you URM? Male/Female? I think there is a chart somewhere that breaks it down based on those factors.

Maybe Ill see you on the interview trail this year! Enjoy your summer because its about to get pretty busy in the fall.

You'll get interviews at the first two most likely. likely as well on UT houston. Southwestern isnt out of the running. We had a student in our class get an II with a 28/3.7uGPA so i think you might have a shot provided that your ECs are good.

Are you URM? Male/Female? I think there is a chart somewhere that breaks it down based on those factors.

Maybe Ill see you on the interview trail this year! Enjoy your summer because its about to get pretty busy in the fall.

Thanks a lot man. I'm a male non-URM. How tough was the program? I'm starting to have second thoughts about it. Unnecessary stress, you know?

Thanks a lot man. I'm a male non-URM. How tough was the program? I'm starting to have second thoughts about it. Unnecessary stress, you know?

Honestly, I wouldnt do it. SMPs are for low GPA fixing. 3.68 is good for texas schools.

Just focus on building up your ECs, get some clinical work or research experience, in case you have to reapply next year. Other than that everything is good. Most people would recommend leaving the MCAT alone as well unless you are very confident you can score higher ( in the 35-37 range).

Honestly, I wouldnt do it. SMPs are for low GPA fixing. 3.68 is good for texas schools.

Just focus on building up your ECs, get some clinical work or research experience, in case you have to reapply next year. Other than that everything is good. Most people would recommend leaving the MCAT alone as well unless you are very confident you can score higher ( in the 35-37 range).

Thanks man, I think I'm going to go ahead and drop the program. I really appreciate it bro.

Sweet! I'll see both of ya on the interview trail!