Texas resident: Where else to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fragrancia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm a Texas resident applying this cycle, and I wanted to know if there are any other Texas residents who can tell me where I should apply outside of state. I've gone on the MSAR page with AAMC (it gives information about all of the medical schools on one page; I'd suggest it to anyone researching medical schools!) and according to it, compiled a total list:

Albany Medical College
Baylor College of Medicine
Columbia (just because it's my dream lol)
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson Medical College
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin/Chicago Medical School
Rush Medical College
Temple School of Medicine

Any advice would be REALLY great; AMCAS submission is on June 4th so I want to have it finalized soon obviously. Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you want to apply out of state? With a 3.8/31 (if balanced), I would not even waste my money on AMCAS.

What does "if balanced" mean? And I want to apply out of state because I figure this is the one shot I have to see where I get accepted. I am trying to pick schools that would be a good match with my numbers, just so I have some options later. Plus I'm already using AMCAS for Baylor but I have no idea where else Texas students apply...

Members don't see this ad :)
What does "if balanced" mean? And I want to apply out of state because I figure this is the one shot I have to see where I get accepted. I am trying to pick schools that would be a good match with my numbers, just so I have some options later. Plus I'm already using AMCAS for Baylor but I have no idea where else Texas students apply...
The problem for TX applicants is that all the OOS schools on your list know that you will be admitted in TX and their school will cost you twice as much. That means that with equivalent stats they will interview someone from CA (where the odds of acceptance IS are low). It's the double edged sword of the Lone Star State; better chances of IS interviews, lower chance of OOS interviews. It could be worse.

Is there a reason you want to apply out of state? With a 3.8/31 (if balanced), I would not even waste my money on AMCAS.

Agreed. Your AMCAS schools are mostly 'safetys' and you're much safer in state than out. They have to accept 90% in-state and your stats are a good fit for many schools. Think about it -- under what circumstances would you choose to go to one of these schools versus in state? They cost $40,000 more per year and are not any better reputation-wise. So why would you go?

Now think - Don't the ADCOMS at these schools know this? So wouldn't they tend to not favor Texans? These schools get TONS of applications - they're everyone's safeties and many applicants 'good fit'. So why would they waste their time interviewing you when you're likely to accept a much cheaper in-state spot and not attend their school?

You're a good fit for several Texas schools. Other in state schools are reaches and others are safeties for you. You're a solid candidate for in state. Simply no point applying out of state unless your ECs are marginal. (If they are, use DOs as your safeties.)

Hi everyone!
I'm a Texas resident applying this cycle, and I wanted to know if there are any other Texas residents who can tell me where I should apply outside of state. I've gone on the MSAR page with AAMC (it gives information about all of the medical schools on one page; I'd suggest it to anyone researching medical schools!) and according to it, compiled a total list:

Albany Medical College
Baylor College of Medicine
Columbia (just because it's my dream lol)
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson Medical College
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin/Chicago Medical School
Rush Medical College
Temple School of Medicine

I have a 3.8 and a 31 and a bunch of extracurriculars; if that helps... this list is kind of based on the numbers listed for each medical school. Any advice would be REALLY great; AMCAS submission is on June 4th so I want to have it finalized soon obviously. Thanks in advance! :)

You got great numbers to guarantee at least one acceptance maybe a prematch or two. i think you gonna get a couple of interviews alone based on those number anyway. If you plan to attend any TX schools over any other schools I would not apply out of state. Maybe use amcas for only baylor if you can afford the fees and think it is worth a shot (your numbers r low for baylor but if you got unique ECs they can make up for it)

"Balanced" refers to the breakdown of your MCAT score - were your scores in each section pretty similar or is one much higher or lower than the others?

Gotta agree with everyone else, Texas has 9 med schools, 8 of which are public and must reserve 90% of seats for IS students. Tuition is definitely a lot cheaper here than elsewhere :) Assuming you have good ECs and don't submit your TMDSAS app late, your stats look pretty solid for getting interviews.

I also applied to a few OOS schools, but I mostly did it because I had FAP and didn't have to pay any fees. I ended up only interviewing at Texas schools once I realized how much it would cost to fly out to interviews in other states and the fact that I would rather stay in Texas due to low COA.

Im in the same position. 3.43/35

I will still apply via AMCAS just in case I dont get interviews in Texas. If i get interviews in texas, then I can withdraw from AMCAS but its better to have the possibility of OOS interviews.

Besides it doesnt cost that much to fill the primaries... especially if you qualify for FAP.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I really appreciate it :)
I think my score is pretty balanced, all the numbers are within the same range. I'll probably trim the AMCAS school list down and just keep a few on there (besides Baylor, since I'm in Houston anyway). Also I think it'd be really great to go to medical school in D.C. I guess we'll see.
Thanks again for the insight! :)

fragrancia, I'm in a similar situation. 3.9/32/strong ECs TX resident attending top 20 undergrad. I have around 24 schools on my list. This includes all 7 TX publics and Baylor. I hear stories of students not getting in, and I guess I just want to maximize my chances.

I'm in a sort of similar place too. TX resident and 4.0/38 but average and unbalanced ECs. I'm probably going to do the 7 TX publics plus 15 to 18 OOS. I'm just very afraid of not getting in.

For me, I applied to all the Texas schools and then just used AMCAS to apply to a bunch of reach/dream schools. I qualified for the FAP so it didn't cost me any money.

We have similar stats (I have a 3.61/35 according to TMDSAS and a 3.58/35 for AMCAS), so maybe you can try this strategy too.

Luckily, in the worst case scenario we end up at Texas schools, which would be AWESOME!

Thanks for the help, everyone! I really appreciate it :)
I think my score is pretty balanced, all the numbers are within the same range. I'll probably trim the AMCAS school list down and just keep a few on there (besides Baylor, since I'm in Houston anyway). Also I think it'd be really great to go to medical school in D.C. I guess we'll see.
Thanks again for the insight! :)

I don't know about your financial situation, but I intended to apply to Georgetown for med school too. Until I realized that it costs 70K per year to go there compared to 40-45K for instate schools.

IMO, the extra 100K over four years, which many of the schools on your list would cost you, isn't worth it. But you can always apply and then compare your unique financial aid packages.

If you don't mind, can you guys also share your lists of the out of state schools you're applying to?
FSOG, especially, please?
The out of state schools that have lower stats (public schools mostly) have their own state residency requirements so I'm only looking at the private ones with reasonable stats that match mine, mostly.

If you don't mind, can you guys also share your lists of the out of state schools you're applying to?
FSOG, especially, please?
The out of state schools that have lower stats (public schools mostly) have their own state residency requirements so I'm only looking at the private ones with reasonable stats that match mine, mostly.

I'm just applying to random reach schools, so this probably won't be very helpful. Nevertheless, here is my list:

1. SUNY Downstate
2. Duke
3. UCSF
4. Mount Sinai
5. Brown
6. Emory
7. Northwestern
8. NYU
9. Columbia
10. Baylor
11. Cornell
12. UChicago
13. UPenn
14. Vanderbilt

Apply somewhere you'd want to live. You couldn't pay me enough to live in DC or Philly, but that's all personal preference.

New Mexico, Arizona, UAB, GHSU/MCG, Emory, MUSC, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Louisville..