texas residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dia009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm moving to austin, tx, following the footsteps of family after i finish my premed classes in CA and before MCAT in the relatively near future of 12- 18 months.
i'm really happy because UT is fantastic, less competitive than UC schools for residents, less expensive tuition, less rent, (westwood rent is really making me puke.. i'm glad i'm graduating, i can't handle this 600 to share one bedroom with another person rent anymore)
what are some glide year options for a stranger in a new state?
i could get all sorts of jobs at CA where i know the people in charge, but i know nobody at this new land of texas. it's a bit scary!
i have decided that my bottom line option would be remodeling our house... i can learn how to lay floors and put up light fixtures. yay!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm moving to austin, tx, following the footsteps of family after i finish my premed classes in CA and before MCAT in the relatively near future of 12- 18 months.
i'm really happy because UT is fantastic, less competitive than UC schools for residents, less expensive tuition, less rent, (westwood rent is really making me puke.. i'm glad i'm graduating, i can't handle this 600 to share one bedroom with another person rent anymore)
what are some glide year options for a stranger in a new state?
i could get all sorts of jobs at CA where i know the people in charge, but i know nobody at this new land of texas. it's a bit scary!
i have decided that my bottom line option would be remodeling our house... i can learn how to lay floors and put up light fixtures. yay!

Well hopefully you will find that us Texans are very friendly. First, if you're graduating, you could find some sort of job related to your degree. If you need to add to your resume before you apply, you could find volunteer/job opportunities with doctors/hospitals. I think it all depends on what you want to get out of your job on your year off. Especially in a big city like Austin, there are a lot of options for you

You can do some biomedical research with a flexible schedule at UT. This will give you some cash and time to renovate your home. If you need to, you can also get a weekend part-time job that brings in a little more cash.
You are going to LOVE living in Austin!!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
the stars at night are big and bright
clap clap clap clap
deep in the heart of Texas.

Cali will always be the superior place to live...but I will say that Austin is pretty nice...blue center in a vast sea of red.

have fun down there in that horrible weather..."hurricanes and tornadoes here I come"

the stars at night are big and bright
clap clap clap clap
deep in the heart of Texas.

Cali will always be the superior place to live...but I will say that Austin is pretty nice...blue center in a vast sea of red.

have fun down there in that horrible weather..."hurricanes and tornadoes here I come"
Hurricanes in Austin? :confused: That's one big mutha hurricane! :laugh:

But seriously - Austin rocks! By far my favorite place in Texas. If there was a med school in Austin, I would be in heaven.

(And please note that that is coming from an Aggie ;) )

Hurricanes in Austin? :confused: That's one big mutha hurricane! :laugh:

But seriously - Austin rocks! By far my favorite place in Texas. If there was a med school in Austin, I would be in heaven.

(And please note that that is coming from an Aggie ;) )

Yeah seriously. If Austin had a med school, I would be here my whole life. I would become an Austin lifer.

As far as that glide year go, what do YOU want to do? Do you want to work or do you just want to take it easy?

I want to get a job, but my degree is in communications.
get a job working public relations for a med school? that's kind of what i do now for ucla internal medicine.
oh yah.. maybe i should try get a job doing that~!!
i wish there are summer camps year around then i'd be a year around counselor.

Yeah seriously. If Austin had a med school, I would be here my whole life. I would become an Austin lifer.

As far as that glide year go, what do YOU want to do? Do you want to work or do you just want to take it easy?

i thought austin had a med school for a second for some reason, then i realized it doesn't.. dang it.. the one i wish i can get into is dallas, but i've heard such rave reviews about this town of austin.. ^_^