MD & DO Texas rez non-trad cGPA -3.17 BCPM GPA 3.67 DIY Post Bac- 4.0 508 MCAT

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hello all,

Received my Mcat scores today, 508 with straight 127s. I'll accept the 127s on CARs/BB but I am really disappointed with the 127 on CP/PS sections. I had 129s on these in the aamc scored, and also did considerably well on these in the aamc unscored 88%. I saw the mcat as my biggest opportunity to put my poor grades from 5+ years ago completely behind me and I certainly put the time and effort in. owell. too late to realistically retake for this cycle. A couple points higher or lower and I'd either be celebrating or extremely upset, but I'm neutral. I'll retake and do better if I do not get in this cycle.

My original undergrad GPA was a 2.95, finance major, graduated in 2011.

I started my post-bac @ a 4 year uni summer 2015, and completed every single prereq there with the exception of physics 1(had taken @ og undergrad), with a 4.0. So hopefully I can get enough kudos for the upward trend and taking 4+ scis with labs each semester.

I have strong lors from Ochem prof, biochem prof, and former supervisor from previous career.

Volunteering 100+ non clinical- coincided with post-bacc
Shadowing- 60+ hours

I will begin scribing here in the next few days or so. Its way past the time to have it on my application, but it was listed in my planned activities, and would be great to talk about if I am fortunate enough to have any interviews. And I'm excited to start..

I am lacking research, and have listed that as a planned activity as well. I'm prioritizing scribing for now.

I think my biggest strength as an applicant would be that I worked as a managing executive in my first career. For many reasons I left this to pursue a career in medicine, but I certainly learned some skills that I hope help my chances as an applicant.

I'd love to go to any of the Texas Schools, and applied to all of them. Not that I ever had a realistic chance at UTSW, but I thought I could get a high enough MCAT to at least keep dreaming. I don't knock DO, I'm certainly interested today in primary care, and rural medicine. But I'd always like to keep as many doors open as possible.

Thanks for the advice and good look to everyone in this process.
Correct me if I misread but you're applying this cycle and your only clinical experience is 60 hours of shadowing, and you won't even begin scribing until after you have submitted your application? You're going to be competing with people who have higher GPAs, higher MCAT scores, research, and have 300+ clinical volunteer hours and 100+ shadowing hours... Seems like you might be setting yourself up to be a re-applicant.

Maybe I'm wrong, your MCAT score is solid though and the post bacc is excellent.

Last edited:
OP
B
Nov 30, 2015
Correct me if I misread but you're applying this cycle and your only clinical experience is 60 hours of shadowing, and you won't even begin scribing until after you have submitted your application?
You read correctly. Thanks for the feedback.

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
You read correctly. Thanks for the feedback.
If you apply next cycle you can have a nice 1000+ hours of scribing on your application, with possible a letter of recommendation from a DO/MD, as well as invaluable experience to talk about in your interviews.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If you apply next cycle you can have a nice 1000+ hours of scribing on your application, with possible a letter of recommendation from a DO/MD, as well as invaluable experience to talk about in your interviews.
DO letters help at DO schools. MD letters are fluff at MD schools...

Aug 19, 2016
Status
DO letters help at DO schools. MD letters are fluff at MD schools...
I totally agree with this. Although I have an interesting n=1. A classmate of mine shadowed a doctor in high school (primary care) and really liked him and the field. Ended up working and volunteering there throughout college and the doctor wrote a letter. Apparently the interviewers really liked his letter. Obviously this is rare, and it was probably because he spent so long working with that single doctor. How do you guys see a letter from someone who the applicant has shadowed/worked with for many years? Not just someone who the applicant shadowed for 100 hrs or whatever. Just curious.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I totally agree with this. Although I have an interesting n=1. A classmate of mine shadowed a doctor in high school (primary care) and really liked him and the field. Ended up working and volunteering there throughout college and the doctor wrote a letter. Apparently the interviewers really liked his letter. Obviously this is rare, and it was probably because he spent so long working with that single doctor. How do you guys see a letter from someone who the applicant has shadowed/worked with for many years? Not just someone who the applicant shadowed for 100 hrs or whatever. Just curious.
I cannot recall the last time we had a substantive physician LoE.
I am excluding those who are incidentally physicians, though (PI's, long term employers...).

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
OP these two reports are important here.
https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report- EY15-Medical.pdf
This one is also worth looking at
https://www.aamc.org/download/321502/data/factstablea20.pdf

The take aways from this
1) Only 12% of TX matriculants had a <3.51.
2) 64% of TX matriculants had a 31 or lower on the MCAT.
3) 36% in TX matriculated with a 29 or lower.

It's incredible a state like CA has about 17% of matriculants with a <3.41 while TX only 12% of matriculants have a <3.51.

This is all another way of saying while in a number of states this app can get traction for MD, Im not sure if TX will be one of them.
Unfortunately, you are at the opposite end of the combination TX looks for(high GPA with some tolerance to a lower MCAT)
Your hands are kind of tied if MD is your end goal, but if you strike out this cycle an OOS SMP is one potential route to look at

Last edited:
Reactions: gyngyn

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
OP these two reports are important here.
https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report- EY15-Medical.pdf
This one is also worth looking at
https://www.aamc.org/download/321502/data/factstablea20.pdf

The take aways from this
1) Only 12% of TX matriculants had a <3.51.
2) 64% of TX matriculants had a 31 or lower on the MCAT.
3) 36% in TX matriculated with a 29 or lower.

It's incredible a state like CA has about 17% of matriculants with a <3.41 while TX only 12% of matriculants have a <3.51.

This is all another way of saying while in a number of states this app can get traction for MD, Im not sure if TX will be one of them.
Unfortunately, you are at the opposite end of the combination TX looks for(high GPA with some tolerance to a lower MCAT)
Your hands are kind of tied if MD is your end goal, but if you strike out this cycle an OOS SMP is one potential route to look at

To be fair I believe most of the UCs in California have noticeable grade deflation going on, although it may be the same in Texas schools as well.