Texas School Choice: UTSouthWestern vs UTMB Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoalaT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want some opinions.

I have 2 choices right now. UT SouthWestern or UTMB Galveston. This is the age old question of picking between a great, nationally recognized academic program vs where I fit in better and will be happier.

UTSW is a great school who I believe will provide better clinic experience and research opportunity (I really don't care too much for the research side but it helps down the road). They have amazing hospitals and a long legacy of a very intensive academic program.

UTMB is a great school who actually has performed better on their Step1 (so academics are clearly still good) and is waaaaaay chiller and culturally a better fit for me. I will most definitely be happier at this school. Also, they are a very old school and have a great reputation (they too have great research opportunities).

Basically, I'm leaning toward UTMB because I do like the culture better and I truly believe I'll be happier there. However, UTSW is a tremendous school with great clinical opportunity. It's just very "gunner"-esque from what the students and old residents say and many said they hated it due to that. I've even had multiple family members and know faculty who strongly attest to that statement.

I feel UTMB is my better option but I'm afraid I might regret not going to UTSW. Anyone with experience in medical school or know friends/family who can shed some light on the issue? Would you just choose the better school or is the cultural fit much more important?

Just want some opinions.

**Edit: Personality wise, I am very laid back. I work very hard, but I'm not a gunner type.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you prematch to UTSW? If you didn't, they typically match a tiny amount of the class, so you would be placed on the waitlist. That might give you more time to decide.

UTSW is undoubtedly a better school than UTMB, but if you really feel like you would be miserable there, then don't go. Current students can speak to the culture better than me, but the current students I met at the interview day at UTSW seemed pretty chill, and I imagine with the new curriculum the environment should be much lower stress than before.

Also, I would be wary of the average Step data. There's a million ways for schools to report the scores and many manipulate it to look better.

If you are getting a much better feel for UTMB, then go there. Maybe go to 2nd look for UTSW or talk to more students there via e-mail to try to assuage your fears (or confirm them)? Both are very good schools, I don't think you will be setting yourself back much picking one over the other. If you are into living life on the edge and infectious diseases...UTMB has one of the few BSL 4 labs in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too felt the students were relaxed at the interview and didn't feel the "gunner" feel at all. However, I then talked with other students, faculty, and residents who went to UTSW who said that it is most definitely a very competitive/harsh culture and that the interview being relaxed is very deceiving.

And ya, averages are deceiving. It's just averages. I feel my score would largely just depend on how hard I work rather than the school I pick. I'm sort of thinking I'll be able to work harder if I enjoy the culture I'm in rather than if I'm stressed.

And I matched (never updated my signature). Got busy with holidays and never thought about it.

Tough choice Koala -- Any idea what field you might want to go into?

If you are getting a much better feel for UTMB, then go there. Maybe go to 2nd look for UTSW or talk to more students there via e-mail to try to assuage your fears (or confirm them)? Both are very good schools, I don't think you will be setting yourself back much picking one over the other. If you are into living life on the edge and infectious diseases...UTMB has one of the few BSL 4 labs in the country.
UTMB closer look made me feel better about them. Not big on IM/infectious disease stuff currently

I'd go with wherever you think you'd be happier. Quality of life is super important. Set yourself up for success. Going to utmb isn't going to put you at a disadvantage for getting into your top choice specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
UTSW will open doors to the top programs in any field if you put the work in.

Couple of things:
1. You seem to focusing on the student body and if they are "gunners" or not, which I don't think is the right way to look at it. Why would the student body be anything different than the typical student body of an upper mid tier school? Most likely 95% will be completely normal individuals, very similar to what you will find at utmb. The question comes down to the culture of the faculty and the environment they create. Preclinically this largely does not matter as both schools are now pass/fail and you can pretty much isolate yourself from the faculty. Clinically is a totally different story. You are forced to interact with the attending and residents and your grade depends on them, so being paired with an Ahole can really make your life a lot worse. So the question really becomes what is the culture of the hospital, and for Utsw I would say there is an element of malignancy and general aholeness in some the specialties, but for the most part it's not too bad.
2. Don't focus on step scores at all here. People from the Caribbean self study and score high all the time. Utmb has historically higher scores because they emphasize studying for it early. Since both curriculums are pass fail if you are really gunning for a high score then start studying early.
3. Are you sure you would be happy at Galveston? It is dirty and there is very little to do
4. The real meat of a medical school imo is the quality of the clinical rotations and how involved you actually are utsw highly involves you at every step and parkland is one of the best places in the country to do your clerkships. However the hours are often terrible. The clinical day utmb aren't bad either, you get involved and are pretty well prepared. However the medical center pales in comparison to parkland and you won't be quite as involved in patient care (but will have much better hours)

My overall summary: utsw will give you a more intense and involved clinical curriculum with the trade off of some not so nice faculty and worse hours. Also consider which city you want to live in. I personally think utsw is the better choice, especially if you have thick skin

Couple of things:
1. You seem to focusing on the student body and if they are "gunners" or not, which I don't think is the right way to look at it. Why would the student body be anything different than the typical student body of an upper mid tier school? Most likely 95% will be completely normal individuals, very similar to what you will find at utmb. The question comes down to the culture of the faculty and the environment they create. Preclinically this largely does not matter as both schools are now pass/fail and you can pretty much isolate yourself from the faculty. Clinically is a totally different story. You are forced to interact with the attending and residents and your grade depends on them, so being paired with an Ahole can really make your life a lot worse. So the question really becomes what is the culture of the hospital, and for Utsw I would say there is an element of malignancy and general aholeness in some the specialties, but for the most part it's not too bad.
2. Don't focus on step scores at all here. People from the Caribbean self study and score high all the time. Utmb has historically higher scores because they emphasize studying for it early. Since both curriculums are pass fail if you are really gunning for a high score then start studying early.
3. Are you sure you would be happy at Galveston? It is dirty and there is very little to do
4. The real meat of a medical school imo is the quality of the clinical rotations and how involved you actually are utsw highly involves you at every step and parkland is one of the best places in the country to do your clerkships. However the hours are often terrible. The clinical day utmb aren't bad either, you get involved and are pretty well prepared. However the medical center pales in comparison to parkland and you won't be quite as involved in patient care (but will have much better hours)

My overall summary: utsw will give you a more intense and involved clinical curriculum with the trade off of some not so nice faculty and worse hours. Also consider which city you want to live in. I personally think utsw is the better choice, especially if you have thick skin
This makes a lot of since. I guess I worded it all wrong when I say "gunner"-esque. What I'd heard is more like what you described, which was a general malignant/harsh environment. However, I would say the amount of - lets just say - "intense" students is definitely higher than most other schools. I personally know quite a few of them. The type that began studying Anatomy the second they got a pre-match. The type who's SDN account was created in the 9th grade :p. However, you're right that the general population will be normal people, so I really shouldn't worry about that.

Also, I thought Galveston would be dirty and not much to do but after going there for a week, it really was pretty cool. There's actually a surprising amount to do and because tourism is like 70% of their economy they do a ton of events year round. Regardless, I hardly care about that. I am happiest at a bar with friends, so pretty much anywhere works for me.

And ya, the clinical aspect of UTSW is phenomenal and the main reason I think it would be an incredible school. I guess I'm sort of overthinking the whole thing really.

Ehhhh I wouldn't say that. Youll probably get a slight advantage in Texas, other than that not much

Based on what info are you making this claim?

Compared to UTMB I think it's safe to say UTSW sends more people to the prestigious residencies in their particular fields. I know I'm committing the cardinal sin of trying to interpret match lists, but just looking at matches in like internal medicine where I can recognize some of the big names UTSW matches more people at those institutions than UTMB.

Of course, that shouldn't be the deciding factor here.

Go where you will truly be happy - you will score better on your tests and perform better on clerkships if you are in a great state of mind rather than miserable. But don't choose a place that is more laid back (almost seems like "easier") so you can chillax through 4 years of medical school.

Based on what info are you making this claim?

Compared to UTMB I think it's safe to say UTSW sends more people to the prestigious residencies in their particular fields. I know I'm committing the cardinal sin of trying to interpret match lists, but just looking at matches in like internal medicine where I can recognize some of the big names UTSW matches more people at those institutions than UTMB.

Of course, that shouldn't be the deciding factor here.

Personal experience. Don't try and interpret a match list as a premed lol

Definitely have not got the "gunner" or "harsh" vibe at UTSW. The first 2 weeks were intense with adjusting to the curriculum, but could not be happier, everyone is very helpful and encouraging. This is a 10 year old misconception that couldn't be further from the truth.