Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyCarIsDirty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general opinion regarding admission to Texas medical schools from an in-state position?

I know, for instance, that it's fairly easier (couldn't think of a better word) for Louisiana residents to enter into Louisiana medical schools than it is for California resides to gain admissions to their own in-state schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the general consensus is with that many schools in Texas paired with a reasonable amount of texas applicants, you should be able to get in somewhere with average gpa/mcat/ECs. I'm not saying it's easy to get into a texas school, just that it's relatively easier to get into a texas state school versus like CA state school. :luck:

The general consensus is that being a Texas resident is a huge advantage compared to other states. Many Texas residents only apply in state to 8-9 schools. Average gpa/mcat of accepted students will usually get interviews everywhere with maybe a boost being necessary to get UTSW/Baylor interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's Texas law that 90% of admitted med students have to be a resident of Texas.

That is right. At the public schools 90% of the class have to be Texas residents.

That is right. At the public schools 90% of the class have to be Texas residents.

Oh ok I thought so. Baylor doesn't have this rule? Do u know how the out of state percentage at Baylor?

Oh ok I thought so. Baylor doesn't have this rule? Do u know how the out of state percentage at Baylor?

its not 90%, i think it might be like 70-80%

Baylor is not subject to the 90% rule because they are a private institution. However the state of Texas does provide them with some funds so I think they have some retrictions on in/out of state percentages though I'm not sure what they are. I've heard that they have to accept at least 60% in state but that could be a rumor.

Most recent MSAR data is ~80% instate and ~20% out.

Hi, I have a question about MSAR's data.

On Baylor and UT-Southwestern's websites, it states that the average GPA is 3.8 and 3.77 for these schools. On MSAR it says that the median is 3.9 for these schools. The median is also 3.9 for UT-MB and it's 3.7 for UT-Houston.

What causes the disparity between the mean and median? I understand that there are non-traditional applicants that may skew the mean, but it still seems way off. Also, I am guessing that MSAR round the median to one decimal place. Is that correct?

And finally, why are the medians so high? I mean, especially for UT-Houston and UT-MB. Don't get me wrong, I know that these are great schools, but 3.9 medians and 3.8s seem quite high, especially when TDMSAS says that the average matriculant has a 3.68 and 30 MCAT. (Baylor and UT-SW has median MCATs of 35 and 36 I think, which also seem sorta high).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question about MSAR's data.

On Baylor and UT-Southwestern's websites, it states that the average GPA is 3.8 and 3.77 for these schools. On MSAR it says that the median is 3.9 for these schools. The median is also 3.9 for UT-MB and it's 3.7 for UT-Houston.

What causes the disparity between the mean and median? I understand that there are non-traditional applicants that may skew the mean, but it still seems way off. Also, I am guessing that MSAR round the median to one decimal place. Is that correct?

And finally, why are the medians so high? I mean, especially for UT-Houston and UT-MB. Don't get me wrong, I know that these are great schools, but 3.9 medians and 3.8s seem quite high, especially when TDMSAS says that the average matriculant has a 3.68 and 30 MCAT. (Baylor and UT-SW has median MCATs of 35 and 36 I think, which also seem sorta high).

Thanks!

MSAR shows data of accepted students, where as the 3.68 average is of matriculants. Many students are accepted to Texas schools with 3.9's but they may choose to go out of state so their numbers dont go in the matriculant data

OH, ok! I thought that's what it might have been, but I didn't know how they'd get that data. I thought that the matriculant data would be much easier to get so they used that.

So, what about the numbers on UT-SW, etc.'s sites? I'm pretty sure that these figures are matriculant data, correct?

Just curious...what are the requirements for gaining TX residency, and how does one obtain proof of residency once these requirements are met?

just out of curiosity, what was the average acceptance gpa/mcat for utmb for the 2010 entering class?