Texas SDNer's with JAMP experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OW415

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings.

I'm a high school senior who recently has been accepted into an undergraduate school in Texas. Go Aggies. I've been browsing this site for some time now and have finally come up with a decent topic that shouldn't get me swept aside as a noob, or so I hope. Since being a physician is my career goal, for now, I've been exploring and came across this JAMP program. The program itself is pretty wicked(yes I know, who says wicked nowadays?). I mean guaranteed accpetance into one Texas med-school, stipends for summer internships, personal mentoring, scholarships for undergraduate starting sophomore year. Of course there are guidelines and what not. Anyway my motive here is to see if there are any JAMPers, as they're referred to, on SDN and would like to know their experiences and take on JAMP.

-Owais.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not in JAMP (dont qualify) but I thought I could let you know a little bit more about it. I have a few friends who are in it, and its pretty awesome for them. You have to be eligible for a Pell grant or be URM. Every summer, you must go to a summer program that they set up for you. You are given money for it, but most of it is for living expenses while you do their program. Each year the program is at a different medical school in the state. Each program is a little different, but you are mostly taking classes in bio, anatomy, chem, and physics. There is some time available for shadowing physicians/med students at some of the places. I spent last summer with the JAMPers at UTMB (I was in a different program), and most of them are underpriviliged Hispanics who didn't go to great high schools but really want to enter the medical field. If you can get in, you might as well do it. However, if you are a competitive applicant -- it should not make that much of a difference especially with rolling admissions. Depending on your college grades, MCAT, etc. you should probably get in somewhere in the state without having to dedicate each of your summers to the program. There are many other programs in research or surgery, or even taking summer classes to get ahead that may benefit you more. Thats just my two cents. Hope it helps

From what I've seen, JAMP seems like a sweet program, although you cannot accelerate and graduate in 3 yrs (you have to graduate in 4 years). Oh, and Owais man, it's "Gig'em Aggies", not "Go Aggies." As a current Aggie, I just thought I might give you the heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, this JAMP does seem pretty "wicked". When does one start applying? Are they strict as far as area of study?

Also, congrats on gettin into A&M Med.

Much Love,
Rock on :horns:,
Med-tallica.

lilTXcatMD said:
You have to be eligible for a Pell grant or be URM.

You can't get into JAMP just because you are an URM! I am an URM but I wasnt eligible because I did not qualify for a pell grant.

howdy!

So, I'm a freshman biochem major, very interested in JAMP. I just wanted to know - how important is extracurricular activities for this program?? I mean, I have only joined one organization-AMSA, and volunteer 4 hrs a week at the Med. Do I need to get involved more or is that good enough? Also, is it important to take many honors classes during these 2 semesters?? I have only taken an easy H-seminar class so far, and plan to take Thar 101 honors next semester. I didnt want to take chem H coz, chem is not my strongest subject and I didnt wanna hurt my science GPR. Was that a stupid decision??? how many honors classes did you take before you got into JAMP? and how involved were you?

I am a student whom is not a Texas resident nor in the JAMP program. However, I attended a summer program (Honors Premedical Academy at Baylor) with the JAMP students in their first JAMP summer. I feel as though the JAMP program is great because it allows the students to attend amazing summer programs. The HPA program was awesome and if all of their summer programs are similar to that one, it really is a great program. For example, at HPA we shadowed, took a medical communications class, and took Human Anatomy & Physiology (with cadaver lab). I really recommend learning more about the program.

Whoops! I forgot!

Just like applying to medical school, It doesnt matter what you major in. Many of my fellow JAMPers are biology, biomedical science, but some are psychology, international studies, and all different stuff like that!

Major in something you like, all you need for JAMP and for Med Schools are those prerequisties courses.
Liveyourdreams, what is the average GPA of those who got into the program? also, how important are the extracurriculars?

Ah, the JAMP program:
One of my good firends is in JAMP and he loved it at first, but now he's complaining on a daily basis. Afterall, which freshman doesn't like the idea of getting into medical school the freshman year?

Here are my friend's complaints:
1. You can't do what you want with your summers (read research programs)
2. You can't decide which med shcools you want to go to (although the match system has been working pretty well).
3. You can't do any Joint Programs like MD/PhD or MD/MBA.
4. The prgram is pretty much there to produce clinicians, if you want to go to academic medicine, don't do it.

Pros:
you do get into 'a' medical school in Texas

From what I've seen, JAMP seems like a sweet program, although you cannot accelerate and graduate in 3 yrs (you have to graduate in 4 years). Oh, and Owais man, it's "Gig'em Aggies", not "Go Aggies." As a current Aggie, I just thought I might give you the heads up.

Funny as it is, A&M College Station is exactly where this particular liberal Yank from New York intends to be next fall :p

Hi! well if you would like to know, you finally found SOMEONE who meets both criteria... a JAMP student and also a Texas A&M student! Whoop! :D

Well first of all, i will say this is an amazing program. I actually just got accepted to Texas A&M College of Medicine (first choice!) just a few days ago through the match system! (early special for senior JAMP students unlike the Feb 1st Tx match). Yes. Its quite exciting to come to this point as a JAMP student and finally know that all that hard work that you had to go through finally paid off! So yes, you will have to do the summer internships, meet with your school's faculty director, and take the MCAT, keep a certain GPA but it really is worth it in the end. I think that most of all the stuff that they have you do, its not to torture you (as sometimes during the internships you think they are), but its really prep you for medical school with classes and really really make sure that you want to go into medicine for the right reasons. This experience itself opens your eyes up to all the different sides of medicine that you might not experience as a normal premed student. I've grown so much from just the summers, following physicians, learning about a certain med school, and seeing just some plain cool stuff. Probably the only slight thing thats bad about JAMP is that they kinda keep a really close eye on you, basically making sure that you're directed in the right direction, but i guess thats also a blessing in itself, keeping you in line. Just make sure that you qualify for this program... tx resident, pell grant eligible, take 27 hrs your freshman yr, etc. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to post again and I'll try to reply again!
Hi,
I came across this post and thought that maybe you could calm my nerve. i am going to be interviewed for JAMP TOMORROW morning! Hopefully, you'll get this soon and reply back.

How was the interview? Were the questions provoking/rude? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

heart-to-heart, that will be me next yr this time, worrying about my JAMP interview. how did your interview go? was it one-on-one? what did they ask you? should I start getting worried now?

hey liveyourdreams! what was your JAMP interview like?

Best of luck to all applying for Jamp!

Last edited:
Congratulations! you have every right to celebrate! =)