SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Texas - TCOM Application

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Texas Sam, May 16, 2000.

1. Texas Sam

Texas Sam Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 15, 2000
    Dallas, Texas, Dallas
    Hey Everyone,

I am currently filling out my TCOM application. This year, they are trying something new. They have merged their application process with the Texas Med School Application system. This presents students with a little dilemma. How does one go about tailoring an essay towards osteopathic medicine when all the other schools that will be reading the essay are Allopathic? I have written my first draft with the focus on primary care. I would definitely prefer to be an osteopath although I would not frown at an acceptance letter from a Texas allopathic school either. Any advice?

Texas Sam

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. reed99

reed99 Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2000
    San Antonio, TX USA

4. drusso

drusso Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 21, 1998
    Over the rainbow
    Agreed. Emphasize in your application essay your general interest in medicine, etc. You can specify your interest in osteopathic medicine in your secondaries...

I will tell you a funny story: A classmate of mine, in a frantic rush to get his applications in on time, mixed up his essays and sent the osteopathically-oriented essays to all the MD schools and the "regular essay" to DO schools he was applying to that year. He ended up with 4 MD interviews and 3 DO interviews. At one of his MD interviews, the interviewer said, "Oh, so I see you want to be an osteopath...that's great! Tell me about your interest in osteopathic medicine." At his DO interviews, the interviewer didn't ask a single specific question about being an MD or a DO. He was accepted at both...so maybe they really don't read those essays TOO closely...

--dave

UNTHSC-TCOM, MS-3

5. Texas Sam

May 15, 2000
    Dallas, Texas, Dallas
    Thanks for the suggestions!!
    Ruth, I have been shadowing / working for free for an osteopath in Fort Worth. Very cool. Learning a ton. I put in about 20 hours a week. Osteopathic medicine is definitely where I want to be.

6. DO Boy

DO Boy Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2000
    TX
    My essay never even mentioned DO's -- just medicine in general (in my own unique way [​IMG]).

In my TCOM interviews, I was never asked "why DO"?

Just food for thought.

DO Boy
    TCOM 04

7. Texas Sam

May 15, 2000
    Dallas, Texas, Dallas
    DO Boy,

Who did you interview with at TCOM? The Ph.D. that I interviewed with this year never asked me the "why DO" question but the DO that I interviewed with did ask. Interesting.

8. DO Boy

DO Boy Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2000
    TX
    My interviews were with Dr. Atkinson of ID and Dr. Lurie, a community health professor.

My interview experience at TCOM was just like the other medical schools in TX (i.e. why medicine?; What would you do if...; What do u see yourself doing?; etc.)

I did mention my experience shadowing DO's before though, so it wasn't like osteopathy was never mentioned at all. Still, I only mentioned it once. [​IMG]

Sorta strange if u ask me.
    DO Boy