Texas Tech and U of Missouri- Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of cancelling my interview at these places mainly because it will be about $500 to fly in to these places and I also have 20+ interviews and don't have a particular interest to live in those locations.

Just wanted to hear what others thought about these programs.

Please share your opinion. Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Irrespective of the strengths and weaknesses of those programs if you don't want to be in those locations why go there. Programs wAnt residents who are content not ones who spend four years hoping to be elsewhere. If u don't want to be sone place don't rank them as u might end up there

I interviewed at Texas Tech and to be quite honest, I wasn't very impressed. Supposedly they interviewed over 200 people for their 4 positions and it appeared like they were just looking for a warm body to fill a slot. The interviews were pretty short and consisted of ~10 minutes of awkward silence while the attending read my ERAS app for the first time and jotted some notes, followed by 5-10 minutes of actual conversation. When I asked the new PD what the strengths of the program were and why he came to Texas Tech he said it was because he has a vacation home nearby.:sleep: :laugh:

At $500 for a flight and ~20 interview offers, I'd cancel. You shouldn't have any trouble matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the advice. Both cities are small with a ting airport which makes flights pretty expensive and the closer city to them is at least 2 hrs of drive. So, It seems it's just not worth to pay ~$1000 to check them out.
If anyone have opinions about these programs please share.

Thanks a lot

I interviewed at Tech last cycle and ranked it last. The PD was the only person who seemed invested in the program, including the residents. The interview started at lunch time. The residents showed up very late and didn't really associate with the applicants. One of the faculty that was supposed to interview me was a no show and another talked on his cell phone during my interview and was, no joke, updating his CV for an application service. He was looking for a new job.

The whole experience was shocking.

If you really have 20+ interviews it will probably be at the end of your rank list if at all. I ranked it simply bc I would rather go there than not match. Happily I matched way above Tech.

Recently, I interviewed at Texas Tech. Texas Tech is in a college town in West Texas. The program itself seemed to have a lot of good features. From what they described, the intern year is pretty easy. CA-1s got a lot of early exposure to subspecialties. One CA-1 had already done 8 heart cases on bypass 4 months into his year with pediatric, OB, neuro, and a true cardiac month scheduled later on in the Spring. Overall, the residents seemed happy and honest when I spoke to them. None of them seemed over worked. The PD was straight foward during the interview, which was not like most programs I interviewed at. As he had mentioned, it was an "adult" residency program, no BS. The residents had stated that the PD had made many positive changes in the months since he had arrived.

If you think about it, in any residency program, you are just another warm body to fill a spot to learn and get cases done. You will get your required cases in and be an anesthesiologist. Just interview at the programs where you would be interested in going to. The match works in your favor.

I also have 20+ interviews and don't have a particular interest to live in those locations.

Having recently graduated from TECH, I can argue a lot of reasons why its a solid program, but its hard to sell Lubbock to a med student. If you have no interest in being there, you will be miserable.