Texas Tech vs A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caxoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you go?

SDN consensus about each seems to be...

TAMHSC: 1.5 year curriculum, location, facilities, rotations in big cities

TTUHSC: student environment, better USMLE prep?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you might get some more input if this question were placed in the 2014-2015 thread rather than the <2014 threads, but anyways, as someone who interviewed at most Texas schools and loved both of these schools, I think these 2 had probably the 2 best student environments of all the schools in Texas, though that could be personal preference for anybody. After that, when I ranked my schools and compared them I wrote down:

Since both (unfortunately) split their classes, for most people choosing clinical rotation cities:
Houston, Dallas, Round Rock, B/CS, Temple (A&M) >>>>>>>> Lubbock, Amarillo, Permian (TT)

Rotation Hospitals:
Methodist, MD Anderson, Baylor Univ Medical Center in Dallas, Cook Children's, Baylor S&W (A&M) >>>>> University Medical Center & Covenant Medical Center (TT)
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/tx

Curriculum/Grading:
A&M's 1.5 year preclinical/2.5 year clinical curriculum is probably optimal, though being the first year could be a tough call. It doesn't look like they're changing much, but that's up to you.

A&M: H/P/F
TT: H/HP/P/M/F

USMLE:
Both schools allow you ~7 weeks for prep. Both provide free UWorld question bank and NBME practice exams. A&M offers a free prep course.
TT: 231/99% first pass rate
A&M: 228/99% first pass rate

I would honestly be happy at either school, but I wouldn't let USMLE prep be a strong positive or deciding factor since they provide such similar opportunities and their average scores aren't much different. I thought the schools were very comparable, so I went with location, rotation cities, and hospital affiliates when I ranked them. Hope that helped a little!

Reactions: 1 user
I've lived in both places. I'd pick A&M for the category of location/weather.