Texas (tmdsas) 2006: Official Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone

Submitted my application in the middle of june and sent out secondary applications at the end of june. Everything has been processed and seems to be going well. The only secondary remaining is baylor and the other two schools I applied to out of state.

Some good news, I just got back from the UTMB summer enrichment program and was told that this year UTMB added 10 seats to its class and that for our year they will be adding another additional 10 seats. So for our class they will accept approximately 220. They are doing this in accordance with a research study done by the AAMC stating that there will be a shortage of physicians in the upcoming future. I was told that several of the other schools in Texas have also pledged to increase class size starting with the 2006-2007 class.

Members don't see this ad.

hell yea! :thumbup:

StartingLine3 said:
Some good news, I just got back from the UTMB summer enrichment program and was told that this year UTMB added 10 seats to its class and that for our year they will be adding another additional 10 seats. So for our class they will accept approximately 220. They are doing this in accordance with a research study done by the AAMC stating that there will be a shortage of physicians in the upcoming future. I was told that several of the other schools in Texas have also pledged to increase class size starting with the 2006-2007 class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is submitted. I left out a word in my special circumstances "essay", but I called the office and they are going to correct the error for me :)

MadameLULU said:
I submitted my AMCAS and TMDSAS apps in late Aug/early September and it took a week or so to process AMCAS and about six weeks to process TMDSAS.

Btw, Case is a great school. I wish I had submitted my secondary, but it was so long and I was feeling kinda lazy at the time. Have you talked to Dr. Haynie?

YES!! Dr. Haynie is the Shizznit. He is so awesome! The kind of person who really makes me think that med school is for me.

Submitted AMCAS last night (thought Independence Day would bring me luck).

UT-Houston has begun offering interviews already!

TexPre-Med said:
UT-Houston has begun offering interviews already!

Yes, You are right. I just got an interview offer today!! Hope everyone starts to hear good news soon!

txguy said:
Finish the TMDSAS app before you work on the secondaries. During the 4-6 weeks that your app is being processed, you can work on your secondary applications. By the way, unless things have changed, UTHSCSA also has a secondary application (I only saw A&M, Tech, and UTSW mentioned in this thread). It is basically just asking you to list activities you have for research, volunteer, clinical, leadership, etc. (I also included brief descriptions of the activity/orgnization and my involvement--I'm not sure if that was explicitly asked for, but it certainly doesn't hurt!) If you have filled out AMCAS (might as well for Baylor?), then you can copy and paste your descriptions from the activities section in AMCAS into the UTHSCSA secondary application--no sense in reinventing the wheel :) Also, as you've probably already noticed, A&M and Tech have 1 essay thats basically the same. So, the secondary applications aren't really so bad :D

San Antonio doesn't have a secondary anymore. They did, even up through last year, but if you hit up their website, they say that they're no longer doing a secondary, Just FYI!

Brain said:
Holy crap, that was really fast for TMDSAS. I submitted last year just after the MCAT scores became available with all supporting documents and it wasn't processed until the end of July. Maybe they've gotten more efficient there.

I think they must have, cuz I submitted mine on 6/25 and it was processed on 6/29, unless there are just a lot fewer people submitting early, but I doubt that very seriously.

MadameLULU suggested that I come here to talk about interviews and other such stuff for Texas! I'm glad she did. I have an interview at UT-H on Aug 26th (I feel like I've said this a million times, but that is because I started another thread forgetting this one was here!), what about everyone else?! :)

jodyleeann said:
MadameLULU suggested that I come here to talk about interviews and other such stuff for Texas! I'm glad she did. I have an interview at UT-H on Aug 26th (I feel like I've said this a million times, but that is because I started another thread forgetting this one was here!), what about everyone else?! :)

has anyone out of state heard back from any of the texas schools? I was verified by TMDSAS on 6/15 (tried to get in as early as possible) but i don't think my pre-med committee has sent out my LOR's yet (that line on the tmdsas update page is still blank).

Do I even have a chance at trying ot get one of those prestigious out-of-state spots?

jammin06 said:
has anyone out of state heard back from any of the texas schools? I was verified by TMDSAS on 6/15 (tried to get in as early as possible) but i don't think my pre-med committee has sent out my LOR's yet (that line on the tmdsas update page is still blank).

Do I even have a chance at trying ot get one of those prestigious out-of-state spots?

I'm applying out of state too and don't have my recomendations in either. I doubt I've got a shot, but I'll try! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
jammin06 said:

jammin, an OOS friend of mine had the HPO office personally call the admissions director on her behalf. She also contacted the deans of student affairs to express her interest in the school. Her efforts landed her an interview and acceptance at the school. I'd askthe new advisor to do the same for you.

Hi everyone! i'm hoping to submit my TMDSAS app soon, but i'm wondering if anyone could help me out with formatting the PS. Is it possible to indent paragraphs, or (like AMCAS) do you have to instead separate paragraphs by inserting line breaks? I tried to indent, but it is not appearing to work. thanks so much in advance & best of luck to you all!

snowgirl said:
Hi everyone! i'm hoping to submit my TMDSAS app soon, but i'm wondering if anyone could help me out with formatting the PS. Is it possible to indent paragraphs, or (like AMCAS) do you have to instead separate paragraphs by inserting line breaks? I tried to indent, but it is not appearing to work. thanks so much in advance & best of luck to you all!

Hey Snowgirl! I did it the old-school way and just spaced in 5 spaces.....I couldn't find any other way to do it either and I didn't want to take the chance of it coming out all jacked up. Good luck with your submission and the entire app process! If I can help with anything, please let me know! (P.S. I'm applying this cycle too, so the only info I'm really good for is actually getting your app in and how long it took mine to process, hahaha! Good luck!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

snowgirl said:

Last year, I ended up doing it the ghetto separate paragraphs way--I think I tried indenting and doing 3-5 spaces but it never came out right. Try out different ways to indent and see how it looks by going to their "view app" feature (its something like view app, print app, etc)

Also, becareful of mysterious missing characters (such as apostrophes and dashes) if you are pasting your PS from word, since TMDSAS only accepts text format. You might try pasting from word into notepad and then into TMDSAS. Just check over every single character when your viewing your app and you'll be fine.

Good luck! :luck:

-tx

hi guys! thanks for your responses. i added the few spaces to separate my paragraphs, but I still cant figure out how to view the application or see how it ends up formatting in the printed version. Is there a way to download or view the pdf file to check how it looks or is that only possible on the AMCAS and not TMDSAS app? thanks again in advance!

txguy said:
Last year, I ended up doing it the ghetto separate paragraphs way--I think I tried indenting and doing 3-5 spaces but it never came out right. Try out different ways to indent and see how it looks by going to their "view app" feature (its something like view app, print app, etc)

Also, becareful of mysterious missing characters (such as apostrophes and dashes) if you are pasting your PS from word, since TMDSAS only accepts text format. You might try pasting from word into notepad and then into TMDSAS. Just check over every single character when your viewing your app and you'll be fine.

Good luck! :luck:

-tx

Don't worry about it. I've asked so many people and all they really care about is the content.

anyone know if this is possible???

snowgirl said:
hi guys! thanks for your responses. i added the few spaces to separate my paragraphs, but I still cant figure out how to view the application or see how it ends up formatting in the printed version. Is there a way to download or view the pdf file to check how it looks or is that only possible on the AMCAS and not TMDSAS app? thanks again in advance!

Hi

I was wondering if in the secondaries when they say list the specific experiences related to for example, primary care, can you describe the experience in paragraph form. Thanks.

Miss155 said:
Hi

I was wondering if in the secondaries when they say list the specific experiences related to for example, primary care, can you describe the experience in paragraph form. Thanks.

I know at least one of them (UTSW, I think) says to use a bulletted format, so on that one I just used bullets and a few sentences to clarify how it affected me. I think I just used the bulletted format on all of them, but used full sentences to describe it.

snowgirl said:

Sorry, didn't see your question.........I think the option was actually called "view formatted/printable application" or something like that.......hope that helps!

-tx

anyone noticed that on someof the questions on the TMDSAS printable application seems to have very weird spacing.
for example, question 29.

i wrote my thing and then i went to see what it looked on the printalbe application, the first line is fine but the once after it are not right below it.

anyone called tmdsas to see what's up.

I know its been discussed before that the TMDSAS 'optional' essay isn't really optional if you want to receive an interview. I was wondering, if I am an out of state applicant, would the optional essay be a good place to write about my family ties to texas (relatives living in the area, plans for my immediate family to move to Texas, etc.) just to show that I am committed to staying in Texas?

thanks!

TMDSAS question. Under my status for F. Health Professions Evaluation it says complete. I send the committee letter and 2 other LOR. Underneath it says individual evaluation letters, but I do not have anything listen there even though 2 other LOR's have been sent. Is anyone else's like that too? It says complete in the box and that the eval was received 7/2. Anyone, please let me know.

Thanks

What kind of turn-around you guys having on your committe packet or letters being complete??? Is it showing up on your status page or are you calling up the individual schools.

it is showing on the status page that it has been complete. But I do not see the names of the evaluators who wrote the letters separate from the committee..

snowgirl said:
I know its been discussed before that the TMDSAS 'optional' essay isn't really optional if you want to receive an interview. I was wondering, if I am an out of state applicant, would the optional essay be a good place to write about my family ties to texas (relatives living in the area, plans for my immediate family to move to Texas, etc.) just to show that I am committed to staying in Texas?

thanks!

You misunderstood. The TMDSAS "optional" essay is very optional. Meaning most people should not fill this out. I know only one that is and that is because his fiance had a brain tumor one semester hurting his g.p.a.

The optional essay that isn't optional is from the Baylor secondary. It says to describe a unique experience (similar to the TMDSAS optional essay). Fill this one out no matter what.

oh, thanks for the reply. i'm a little confused because I thought someone posted about having attended a talk by a member of the admissions committee at either UTMB or UTSA, and it was mentioned that they won't even look at OOS applications that don't fill out the optional essay. am i making this up?

thanks again in advance!

TexPre-Med said:
You misunderstood. The TMDSAS "optional" essay is very optional. Meaning most people should not fill this out. I know only one that is and that is because his fiance had a brain tumor one semester hurting his g.p.a.

The optional essay that isn't optional is from the Baylor secondary. It says to describe a unique experience (similar to the TMDSAS optional essay). Fill this one out no matter what.

If someone said it, it isn't true. Everyone, except one person, that I know skipped that essay. One of those students was accepted to UTMB last year. My pre-med advisor even said it was wise to not fill it out unless you have a really good excuse for something.

thanks for the info!

TexPre-Med said:
If someone said it, it isn't true. Everyone, except one person, that I know skipped that essay. One of those students was accepted to UTMB last year. My pre-med advisor even said it was wise to not fill it out unless you have a really good excuse for something.

hey guys,

i am gonna submit my tmdsas on tuesday...am I considered late?(well not like i have any option now :p) and what have the processing times been lately?
Thanks
Taj

Taj said:
hey guys,

i am gonna submit my tmdsas on tuesday...am I considered late?(well not like i have any option now :p) and what have the processing times been lately?
Thanks
Taj
You are not late. Last year, I submited TMDSAS in early/mid September and it took me a month to get processed

Taj said:
hey guys,

Thanks
Taj

The longest that I've seen so far for processing is like a week and a half, but I have NO IDEA what it has been recently, no one has really said. Is there anyone who has just recently been processed? If so, when did you submit?

i have a question to anyone applying to UT SW. There is a place where you can check off whether you may be interested in a career in teaching, research, primary care medicine, or practicing in underserved areas. Would it reflect poorly on an applicant to check many of even all four boxes? I am currently completely unsure of exactly what route I would like to pursue so I am considering checking three of the boxes...does anyone think this is a bad idea?

snowgirl said:
i have a question to anyone applying to UT SW. There is a place where you can check off whether you may be interested in a career in teaching, research, primary care medicine, or practicing in underserved areas. Would it reflect poorly on an applicant to check many of even all four boxes? I am currently completely unsure of exactly what route I would like to pursue so I am considering checking three of the boxes...does anyone think this is a bad idea?

I did the same thing. The idea is that you need to make sure you have legit experiences to back up each category you checked off. Don't do it because you think it'll impress them.

ROOwala06 said:
I did the same thing. The idea is that you need to make sure you have legit experiences to back up each category you checked off. Don't do it because you think it'll impress them.
Agreed. If you don't have the experience already (or are planning to get it soon), then you probably shouldn't check the box. Last year one of my friends checked "Research" and "Academic" (I think those were the choices) but hadn't done any research or tutoring or anything in undergrad...at her UTSW interview she was asked how she knew she was interested in those things since she hadn't taken the time to explore them in undergrad. It's probably a good idea, therefore, to have experiences to back up your check boxes, or have an answer as to why you haven't already tried to get experience in those areas.

It doesn't matter how many boxes you check...I checked all four, but I also had some experiences to back up each choice.

jodyleeann said:
The longest that I've seen so far for processing is like a week and a half, but I have NO IDEA what it has been recently, no one has really said. Is there anyone who has just recently been processed? If so, when did you submit?
I submitted 6/29 and I'm still not processed. I think they may be backed up right now.

chaeymaey said:
I submitted 6/29 and I'm still not processed. I think they may be backed up right now.

thats odd, i submitted 7/2 and was processed on teh 13th??

Someone mentioned that some other TX schools (besides UTH) were going to send out interview invites this week. I'm not sure on the validity, but if anyone gets a holler, let us all know.

TexPre-Med said:
Someone mentioned that some other TX schools (besides UTH) were going to send out interview invites this week. I'm not sure on the validity, but if anyone gets a holler, let us all know.

Hey Guys. I got an interview invitation from A&M today for August 4th. So it looks like A&M is sending out interview invites this week as well. I guess we may also hear from UTMB in July, but UTSW and UTSA will send them in August I believe. Also, any one know when Baylor starts sending out invites? I talked to their admissions office and for regular M.D. Applicants, I hear they only start their interviews on October 8th.

hobbesiscool said:
Hey Guys. I got an interview invitation from A&M today for August 4th. So it looks like A&M is sending out interview invites this week as well. I guess we may also hear from UTMB in July, but UTSW and UTSA will send them in August I believe. Also, any one know when Baylor starts sending out invites? I talked to their admissions office and for regular M.D. Applicants, I hear they only start their interviews on October 8th.

Wow, so A&M started today...that's what we had thought. I guess I'll sit here and hold my breath. Just kidding, but no, really, I will. ;)

so a lot of of the texas secondaries ask if you're interested in research, teaching, primary care, etc...

i was wondering what kind of experiences would back up the interest in primary care? i can think of shadowing a primary care physician, but that's it.

hobbesiscool said:

Yup. A&M did start sending them out. I have mine on August 4th as well. Good luck to all.

I just called UTMB and UTSA about interview invites. UTMB said that they will start sending out invites this morning, and UTSA said that they will start sending them out next week.

dsq said:
I just called UTMB and UTSA about interview invites. UTMB said that they will start sending out invites this morning, and UTSA said that they will start sending them out next week.

Thanks for calling them dsq!

Also, Hobbes, I'm so sorry! I read my old post and realized that I didn't even tell you congrats, I just bitched that I didn't have one yet! I'm sorry!

Congrats to you and ROO both! Great job guys! Good luck! :luck:

jodyleeann said:

Also, Hobbes, I'm so sorry! I read my old post and realized that I didn't even tell you congrats, I just bitched that I didn't have one yet! I'm sorry!

Hi you guys, first of all, congrats to all who have more interviews to TX schools :).

I am freaking out right now!! Did you guys send secondaries at the same time as your primary? I got confused and thought secondaries come after primary like AMCAS schools so I kind of took a little application vacation between TMDSAS and secondaries. Is that bad?! ... :scared:

jodyleeann said:

ooo! UTMB Aug 19th!! I'm excited!!! Adrenaline rush on top of caffeine high. !! wooppeee :p

BlinkyCat said:
ooo! UTMB Aug 19th!! I'm excited!!! Adrenaline rush on top of caffeine high. !! wooppeee :p

Congratts BLINKYY!!! I hope all goes well with that. More should start rolling in. Just keep those fingers crossed. Has anyone heard anything from TECH? Are they also going to start this week?

BTW, I was lookin at A&M's schedule...after the first interview, they take you to Temple, which is a little over an hour drive from College Station. Man, that day will be long. It starts at 7 AM and the last 2nd interview time slot is 5 PM. Let me know what any of ya'll think.