Texas (tmdsas) 2006: Official Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone that has received an interview!! I am in Argentina and I swear I go to a cyber cafe like 5 times a day to check my email for interview invites. So far my cyber cafe trips have been fruitless :-(

Members don't see this ad.

BlinkyCat said:
ooo! UTMB Aug 19th!! I'm excited!!! Adrenaline rush on top of caffeine high. !! wooppeee :p

Congrats Blinky! That's awesome!

ROO~I heard the A&M day is LOOOONG! I just don't know how I would feel about knowing that the school is split with first two years at College Station and the second two in Temple.....I'd have to see it and talk to people about it, I guess, so good luck again (pack lots of caffeine!).

prettygirl~I know the feeling, I have compulsively checked my e-mail all day yesterday and today. So far, nada. :(

About TECH~I talked to them last Friday and they said that they will start sending out invites "within the next two weeks, either next week (which is now this week) or the week after." That's all I've got there.

Good luck again to everyone interviewing!

Is having a complete lack of forethought and maturity considered a "unique" circumstance that would warrant the "optional" essay. I got a D and an F (taking two classes) my first semester at a junior college. I ended up with a 3.5 overall, 3.9 bcpm, and good mcat. I'm thinking of letting sleeping dogs lie. There is no good story with it (not good to tell, anyway), and it was over 8 years ago. Hmmmm...WWBBD?

Members don't see this ad :)
jodyleeann said:
Congrats Blinky! That's awesome!

ROO~I heard the A&M day is LOOOONG! I just don't know how I would feel about knowing that the school is split with first two years at College Station and the second two in Temple.....I'd have to see it and talk to people about it, I guess, so good luck again (pack lots of caffeine!).

prettygirl~I know the feeling, I have compulsively checked my e-mail all day yesterday and today. So far, nada. :(

About TECH~I talked to them last Friday and they said that they will start sending out invites "within the next two weeks, either next week (which is now this week) or the week after." That's all I've got there.

Good luck again to everyone interviewing!

Yeah jodyleann, my bro went to A&M, and he says it's a definite weakness....the 1st and 2nd years being separated from the 3rd and 4th years really means you don't have a very good idea of how your 3rd and 4th year are going to be until you get to Temple....it's not like other schools where you are going to have 3rd and 4th years students as your peer mentors during the 1st and 2nd years....A&M is good if you want to go into primary care....you can still do well if you wanto specialize, but this means you need to graduate in probably the top 10-20% and kick butt on the boards.....that is, if you want to go to a good place for residency.....all in all, it is a young school and a bit unproven, although i can vouch for you that you can still get an excellent education there....my bro went there, ended up getting a medicine residency at UTSW.....he says that some of the 3rd year medical students at UTSW who rotate with him are miles behind 3rd year students at A&M in the case of knowing some basic concepts and stuff....so, ull def still get a great education there, it's just i'm not so sure i'd want to live in temple for 2 years......college station is nice, especially since it is a college town and caters to people our age. good luck with everything

eggplant said:
so a lot of of the texas secondaries ask if you're interested in research, teaching, primary care, etc...

i was wondering what kind of experiences would back up the interest in primary care? i can think of shadowing a primary care physician, but that's it.

Preventative health is one aspect of primary care. I did a lot of public health work over the past couple of years and I wrote about that. You can get this type of experience by volunteering at the state or local health departments.

:scared: :scared: :scared: its been 8 days since my tmdsas was processed and i haven't heard from any schools :( only utsw sent me an e-mail saying they have my stuff.... i guess this means i am not invited to houston

djfir0 said:
:scared: :scared: :scared: its been 8 days since my tmdsas was processed and i haven't heard from any schools :( only utsw sent me an e-mail saying they have my stuff.... i guess this means i am not invited to houston
calm down. give it time. don't be so anal.

djfir0 said:

Yeah, chill out....its been 8 days...(depending on who you ask) God created the Life, the Universe, and Everything in 6 days...its ok if adcoms take a little more time than that (even though they have the power to create and destroy our hopes and futures).

can someone post the essay topic for the secondaries at the three schools.

thanks

TexPre-Med said:
Someone mentioned that some other TX schools (besides UTH) were going to send out interview invites this week. I'm not sure on the validity, but if anyone gets a holler, let us all know.

UNTHSC/TCOM began sending out interview invites. They begin interviewing from the first week of August.

newdude said:
can someone post the essay topic for the secondaries at the three schools.

thanks

If I remember right, each secondary has more than one essay....usually it like what are you interested in: primary care, rural care, research or academics. And then you have to put a bulleted list in explaining why you like one or more of those things with direct experiences from your own life.
Another question I remember and I don't remember which one it was from was what is your idea of an ideal setting to practice medicine, or something like that. That's all I can remember, but you should be able to pull them up and see....

Hey Jody you and I were processed on the same day, have you recieved any interviews besides UTH. I am thinking that A&M and UTMB have not reached those of us who processed in late June. Any body who has recieved interviews at A&M or UTMB get processed after June 22?

Thanks.

Did you guys limitted your words to 500 in SW school secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
StartingLine3 said:
Hey Jody you and I were processed on the same day, have you recieved any interviews besides UTH. I am thinking that A&M and UTMB have not reached those of us who processed in late June. Any body who has recieved interviews at A&M or UTMB get processed after June 22?

Thanks.

StartingLine, do they have your LORs yet? I know that TMDSAS got mine on the 18th, but Tech's site still says they don't have it and someone had said it could take up to FIVE WEEKS (oh dear God) to get them from TMDSAS. I don't know if that's my hold up or if it's like you said with being processed at the end of June. But yah, to answer your question, I only have one from UTH and I haven't heard a word from A&M or UTMB either. But I'm almost positive that BlinkyCat was processed the same day as us and she already has her UTMB interview.....I guess we'll just have to wait it out.....I am so freakin' impatient. GGGGRRRRRR :mad:

laya533 said:
Did you guys limitted your words to 500 in SW school secondary?
i didn't have to. i was at 390 or so and that was with a little fluff.

yourmom25 said:
500 characters means about 3 lines . right?

laya533 said:
500 characters means about 3 lines . right?
It's 500 words. Which I think is more than enough to put down something meaningful for most people.

Just wanted to check in with everyone! Hope all those submitting the TMDSAS primary and all the secondaries are not having too many problems! Has anyone heard anything else this week as far as interviews or when we can expect them from other schools? Have a great weekend everyone! :D

jodyleeann said:
StartingLine, do they have your LORs yet? I know that TMDSAS got mine on the 18th, but Tech's site still says they don't have it and someone had said it could take up to FIVE WEEKS (oh dear God) to get them from TMDSAS. I don't know if that's my hold up or if it's like you said with being processed at the end of June. But yah, to answer your question, I only have one from UTH and I haven't heard a word from A&M or UTMB either. But I'm almost positive that BlinkyCat was processed the same day as us and she already has her UTMB interview.....I guess we'll just have to wait it out.....I am so freakin' impatient. GGGGRRRRRR :mad:

Hi guys! I was processed on June 29th with TMDSAS. I didn't have my LOR's sent out yet when I heard from UTMB and UTH for interviews, so I guess it's safe to conclude that they're handing out interviews without waiting for LOR's.

I didn't hear from all the schools that required secondaries, so I guess it's also safe to conclude that secondaries are needed before interviews can be handed out. With that said, I gotta get crackin on them! :(

Anyways, hope that helps. Oh! I noticed that TMDSAS does this "master file update" every once in a whlie. Maybe that might slow some people down? I dont know. All I know is the last time they "updated me" They bumped my gpa down from 3.83 to 3.78. Don't know why...oh well..

Good luck everyone. Post here if you guys hear from any more TX schools! :)

BlinkyCat said:
Hi guys! I was processed on June 29th with TMDSAS. I didn't have my LOR's sent out yet when I heard from UTMB and UTH for interviews, so I guess it's safe to conclude that they're handing out interviews without waiting for LOR's.

I didn't hear from all the schools that required secondaries, so I guess it's also safe to conclude that secondaries are needed before interviews can be handed out. With that said, I gotta get crackin on them! :(

Anyways, hope that helps. Oh! I noticed that TMDSAS does this "master file update" every once in a whlie. Maybe that might slow some people down? I dont know. All I know is the last time they "updated me" They bumped my gpa down from 3.83 to 3.78. Don't know why...oh well..

Good luck everyone. Post here if you guys hear from any more TX schools! :)

I had a master file update too when they got my last transcript from the first summer semester grades, but they only added my new grade in and it made my GPAs go up. I don't know what's going on with ya'lls, that's really wierd.
Thanks for the update BlinkyCat and all the info too about the LORs and everything. I'll just give it time (even though patience is SO NOT my thing, hahaha). Good luck everyone! :luck:

yourmom25 said:

Thank God. I'm at 321 and was feeling like I should have more but . . . what else is there to say? :)

How do you see if TMDSAS has made a "master update" on your file?

I recently had a "master upgrade" done to my file, but to my knowledge nothing has changed.

I will be alittle disappointed if I dont get an interview at UTMB, I recently participated in their summer program and was told by individuals on the admissions committee that if I matched them first I would get accepted.
I am very interested in UTMB and it is probably my first choice.

StartingLine3 said:
I recently had a "master upgrade" done to my file, but to my knowledge nothing has changed.

I will be alittle disappointed if I dont get an interview at UTMB, I recently participated in their summer program and was told by individuals on the admissions committee that if I matched them first I would get accepted.
I am very interested in UTMB and it is probably my first choice.

Just cuz I'm curious, what did you you like so much about UTMB? I haven't had a chance to visit many of the med schools here in Texas, so I don't know much about a lot of them. I'd just like to know what you liked about it (and didn't like about it) if you don't mind talking about it!
Same goes for anyone else that's pretty familiar with any of the Texas med schools....I'd love to hear anything that ya'll have on any of the schools!

Has anyone who's TMDSAS app was processed and sent out to schools on or after July 13th received interview invites??? I was processed on the 13th and haven't heard anything yet, so I'm gettin' a lil' nervous!! :scared:

I think someone said that some of the Texas schools are not waiting for the LOR to offer interviews, but others are. Could you please tell me if you called the schools to find this out? My undergrad school wont send my LOR's until mid-August and that would be very good news to hear.

Thanks, and gluck with those interviews.

tweetledee said:
Has anyone who's TMDSAS app was processed and sent out to schools on or after July 13th received interview invites??? I was processed on the 13th and haven't heard anything yet, so I'm gettin' a lil' nervous!! :scared:

I was processed around the same time and I havent heard anything either :(

koonman said:
I think someone said that some of the Texas schools are not waiting for the LOR to offer interviews, but others are. Could you please tell me if you called the schools to find this out? My undergrad school wont send my LOR's until mid-August and that would be very good news to hear.

Thanks, and gluck with those interviews.

I know that UTH doesn't wait and BlinkyCat said that UTMB isn't waiting either. I have no idea about aTm, UTSA, UTSW or Tech though. Sorry!

tweetledee said:

i was processed on july 13th and i've just about had a heart attack b/c i haven't had a single reply from any medical school. seems like everyone else took around 8 or 9 days to recieve an interview from UH, im riding on 10 days with nothing, and my stats are a lot better than a lot of the people that got invites.... dunno???

The first round of invites at UTH only seemed to include those processed in June. Im sure when they do the next round of invites, early July people will be included. Relax.

djfir0 said:
i was processed on july 13th and i've just about had a heart attack b/c i haven't had a single reply from any medical school. seems like everyone else took around 8 or 9 days to recieve an interview from UH, im riding on 10 days with nothing, and my stats are a lot better than a lot of the people that got invites.... dunno???

Maybe there was a larger group that processed on July 13th as opposed to June 29th. That could be the hold up.....just a thought. I'm sure ya'll will get them, especially if your stats are better than a lot of people who already got invites. I'd say try not to stress, but I'd say that's pretty much an impossibility for everyone right now.... Good luck guys! :luck:

djfir0 said:

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one stressing about this! Rather than drive myself insane, I'm just going to tell myself that the schools are dealing with a larger volume of applications at this point and are eventually going to get to us! :oops:

I should be worrying more than you guys who were processed on July 13th! I was processed on June 15th and I've only heard back from UTH! Should I be seriously worrying by now? Any advice...?

Lythanh said:
I should be worrying more than you guys who were processed on July 13th! I was processed on June 15th and I've only heard back from UTH! Should I be seriously worrying by now? Any advice...?

As far as I know, there are only 3 ppl on SDN that have heard from anyone other than UTH.....There are two who have interviews at aTm & and BlinkyCat has one at UTMB. That's not a large number by any means, not that that's keeping me from stressing out completely waiting for that "next email." I wouldn't worry just yet though!

jodyleeann, thanks for the help!

jodyleeann said:
I know that UTH doesn't wait and BlinkyCat said that UTMB isn't waiting either. I have no idea about aTm, UTSA, UTSW or Tech though. Sorry!

koonman said:
jodyleeann, thanks for the help!

Not a problem. I'm totally obsessive about this stuff. I check it constantly, lol! :D

Jody,

Galveston itself is not that great of a city. The humidity is out of control and the smell of algae in the air can get annoying. The Seawall, the main street, always has alot of traffic no matter what time of the day. I hated it the first week I was there, but it eventually grew on me.

The school itself is very nice. The buildings are modern and the entire campus is designated smoke free. The curriculum is pretty interesting and laid back. The staff, students, and faculty were all very friendly. The main reason why I like UTMB is that many people from my school end up attending Galveston. My university and UTMB seem to have a close relationship with more than 14 individuals matching their last year. Many people currently there are individuals who I enjoyed studying with in undergraduate.

StartingLine3 said:
Jody,

Galveston itself is not that great of a city. The humidity is out of control and the smell of algae in the air can get annoying. The Seawall, the main street, always has alot of traffic no matter what time of the day. I hated it the first week I was there, but it eventually grew on me.

The school itself is very nice. The buildings are modern and the entire campus is designated smoke free. The curriculum is pretty interesting and laid back. The staff, students, and faculty were all very friendly. The main reason why I like UTMB is that many people from my school end up attending Galveston. My university and UTMB seem to have a close relationship with more than 14 individuals matching their last year. Many people currently there are individuals who I enjoyed studying with in undergraduate.

That's awesome, I was just curious. Also, if you don't mind my asking, what school do you go to?

I've been doing research at UTMB for a couple of months and i would have to agree with everything StartingLine3 said. Not the greatest city, lots of humidity, but the school/hospital is really good. I've spent lots of times with students, faculty, and residents and they are all really nice. All the students love it there and say its really laid back and the students like to collaborate with one another. I've heard nothing but good.

I'm applying next year...do any of you have any advice? :(

BaylorGuy said:
I've been doing research at UTMB for a couple of months and i would have to agree with everything StartingLine3 said. Not the greatest city, lots of humidity, but the school/hospital is really good. I've spent lots of times with students, faculty, and residents and they are all really nice. All the students love it there and say its really laid back and the students like to collaborate with one another. I've heard nothing but good.

Thanks guys for the insight. I was wondering the same too. It seems like UTH and UTMB are both really good schools. I never got to visit any of those schools so hearing things from people helps, so thanks! :)

Yea, I haven't heard from UTSA, Tech, UTSW (just sent secondary), and A&M (not yet sent fee and signature sheet). I think if I recall, somebody mentioned that Tech and UTSW give out interviews in August. UTSA supposedly will be handing out invites this week. Just sit tight girls and boys, they're coming.. Just gotta wait.... Don't freak out yet! :p

BlinkyCat said:
Thanks guys for the insight. I was wondering the same too. It seems like UTH and UTMB are both really good schools. I never got to visit any of those schools so hearing things from people helps, so thanks! :)

Yea, I haven't heard from UTSA, Tech, UTSW (just sent secondary), and A&M (not yet sent fee and signature sheet). I think if I recall, somebody mentioned that Tech and UTSW give out interviews in August. UTSA supposedly will be handing out invites this week. Just sit tight girls and boys, they're coming.. Just gotta wait.... Don't freak out yet! :p

:scared: AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREAKIN' OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
j/k, no, but really, i am! ;)

jodyleeann said:
:scared: AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREAKIN' OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
j/k, no, but really, i am! ;)

Haha..ok..I admit I was just trying to calm you guys down. Outside, i'm like :) :p , but inside i'm like :scared: :eek: :scared: hahaa....oh my word....we have until feb :(

BlinkyCat said:
Haha..ok..I admit I was just trying to calm you guys down. Outside, i'm like :) :p , but inside i'm like :scared: :eek: :scared: hahaa....oh my word....we have until feb :(

i know, right?!?! hahaha, I've given up all pretenses of calmness....at least you have UTMB under your belt, too! That's awesome, congrats on that for sure! :thumbup:

BlinkyCat said:

Hahahahaha I think everyone feels that way.... :D

Everyone needs to CALM down and remember my favorite quote from Van Wilder: "Worrying is like a rocking-chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere."

TexPre-Med said:
Everyone needs to CALM down and remember my favorite quote from Van Wilder: "Worrying is like a rocking-chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere."

WRITE THAT DOWN! totally classic flick! :D :laugh:

Hey, does anyone know if they go through the applications in order by the date they were processed or is it just random? Because if they go by the order you were processed and Blinkycat got processed way before me and already as an interview invite from UTMB, does that mean I already got passed up? :smuggrin:

Lythanh said:
Hey, does anyone know if they go through the applications in order by the date they were processed or is it just random? Because if they go by the order you were processed and Blinkycat got processed way before me and already as an interview invite from UTMB, does that mean I already got passed up? :smuggrin:

If i got processed before you, that means you will get your interview later? Wouldn't that make more sense...I'm confused.. :p