Texas (tmdsas) 2006: Official Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lythanh said:
Hey, does anyone know if they go through the applications in order by the date they were processed or is it just random? Because if they go by the order you were processed and Blinkycat got processed way before me and already as an interview invite from UTMB, does that mean I already got passed up? :smuggrin:

So when were you processed? If you were processed WAY AFTER BlinkyCat, then you probably have nothing to worry about....or did you mean you were processed way before?

Members don't see this ad.

Oops, haha! I was processed way before Blinkycat. Sorry about the confusion! :oops:

Aww I wish you guys wouldn't worry :( Everyone from last year and the year before, etc....we all worried too...and I think most of us now realize it was a complete waste of our energy and was unnecessary stress. If you are able to make it through the complicated process known as TMDSAS and you have come this far, then you are obviously smart enough to be in med school!

Those of you who are worrying about not getting invites/secondaries yet...I think most people who apply early (except for a rare few) start getting them in August. And even if you DON'T get them in August, you shouldn't worry.

Story: My friend and I both submitted our applications on the same day (June 15th) last year. We had the same GPA (well like 0.04 difference) and the same MCAT scores. Both of our applications were processed the same day...by August 15th I had scheduled all my Texas interviews (except UTSW), and she was still waiting to hear from all of them. She finally heard from all the schools all at once (weird, right) around late September/early October, scheduled the interviews, and matched at her top choice.

The most important thing to remember is that this process is so incredibly RANDOM. You may think that because you got your app in earlier that you should be getting more invites than others, but the system sucks and doesn't work that way. It is the opposite of logic...just another stumbling block on the way to becoming a doctor.

Well...I've ranted and probably said a whole lot of nothing...just don't stress out...enjoy your final year of college...once you submit your application, it is OUT OF YOUR HANDS. There is nothing you can do differently, so just be happy and know those interviews will come :luck: Good luck to all of you!! Hopefully I will see some of you at UTSW--they serve free food at the interviews so I will definitely be there! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Prophecies said:
Aww I wish you guys wouldn't worry :( Everyone from last year and the year before, etc....we all worried too...and I think most of us now realize it was a complete waste of our energy and was unnecessary stress. If you are able to make it through the complicated process known as TMDSAS and you have come this far, then you are obviously smart enough to be in med school!

Those of you who are worrying about not getting invites/secondaries yet...I think most people who apply early (except for a rare few) start getting them in August. And even if you DON'T get them in August, you shouldn't worry.

Story: My friend and I both submitted our applications on the same day (June 15th) last year. We had the same GPA (well like 0.04 difference) and the same MCAT scores. Both of our applications were processed the same day...by August 15th I had scheduled all my Texas interviews (except UTSW), and she was still waiting to hear from all of them. She finally heard from all the schools all at once (weird, right) around late September/early October, scheduled the interviews, and matched at her top choice.

The most important thing to remember is that this process is so incredibly RANDOM. You may think that because you got your app in earlier that you should be getting more invites than others, but the system sucks and doesn't work that way. It is the opposite of logic...just another stumbling block on the way to becoming a doctor.

Well...I've ranted and probably said a whole lot of nothing...just don't stress out...enjoy your final year of college...once you submit your application, it is OUT OF YOUR HANDS. There is nothing you can do differently, so just be happy and know those interviews will come :luck: Good luck to all of you!! Hopefully I will see some of you at UTSW--they serve free food at the interviews so I will definitely be there! ;)
What he said. :thumbup:

Wow, thank you Prophecies! You definitely took a load off of me. I know I shouldn't be worrying too much, but as you said the system is so random that it makes it hard to understand how it exactly works (and as a result, not to panic at some things).

Congratulations on your acceptance to UTSW! I hope to hear from that school in the near future.

Prophecies said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I know I needed to hear something from someone other than my friends and family, hahaha. I think it's the fact that there is nothing we can do that's freaking me out so bad. I am not the most patient of people, so just sitting here and waiting for things to come to me, just isn't my style....lol....but I realize there's not much else to be done! Thanks again!

StartingLine3 said:
Just got an interview with UTMB for August 19th :)

CONGRATS! That's awesome! Good luck! :luck:

EDIT: I just got verified as complete by Tech. Bout damn time! :laugh:

How's everyone else doin'? Anyone else hear anything from anyone? Just checkin' in! :p

on wed july 27 at 1:24 pm i got an interview from UH, i was processed on the 13th of july, and my gpa is 3.83, 27 mcat.... hope that helps for everyone.

Just got a UT-H interview for Sept 14th. My TMDSAS was sent out on July 6th. GPA is a 3.84, MCAT 34. Good luck!

dsq said:
Just got a UT-H interview for Sept 14th. My TMDSAS was sent out on July 6th. GPA is a 3.84, MCAT 34. Good luck!

GOOD LUCK, YA'LL! :D

Jody dont remind me about the whole letter of recommendation thing :laugh:
I hate the fact they havent gotten out yet :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
StartingLine3 said:
Jody dont remind me about the whole letter of recommendation thing :laugh:
I hate the fact they havent gotten out yet :cool:

I'm sorry, that sux. We should go kick some @ss!!!! Maybe that'll get em goin! hee hee ;)

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum... This seems like a great way to share info. I'm also applying for 2006. My TMDSAS was processed 7/06, and I just heard from UT Houston today! Interview 9/14 :) (GPA 3.98, MCAT 35)

wait...how does TMDSAS process your application without your LORs? i thought they had to wait for them before sending the application out to the schools. i'm haven't sent out my LORs yet but i submitted my TMDSAS jul 19. about when would it be processed and should i hear from schools like ut-h? thanks.

yourmom25 said:
wait...how does TMDSAS process your application without your LORs? i thought they had to wait for them before sending the application out to the schools. i'm haven't sent out my LORs yet but i submitted my TMDSAS jul 19. about when would it be processed and should i hear from schools like ut-h? thanks.

Congrats Lorrayne on your interview!

yourmom~nah, they don't have to have the LORs to process you. Some of the schools will hold off till they have your entire package to process your app tho, from what I can tell and what I've heard from previous years. It took those of us that submitted at the end of june about a week to process and then it was about another week to week and a half before our group (processed jun 29th) heard anything from UTH. It seems that the more recently processed groups (i think jul 13th??) are having a bit longer of a wait, like around 2 weeks or so. Hopefully this helps! And Good Luck everyone!

Hi everyone, I'm currently a 3rd year at Baylor following this thread for my girlfriend is also anxiously awaiting interview invites. Good luck to all of you, and don't stress the interviews all that much. Most of mine were strictly conversational. They really just want to get to know who you are more than anything else. If I could offer any advice, it would be to come up with a personal story or experience that is fairly unique and might make you memorable.

As an example, I was an EMT in my undergrad years and we would staff the football games for the fans and spectators. Baylor (University) always brings their little black bear cub mascot to their football games, and on this particular day it was in a bad mood and attacked its animal handler and mauled him up his hands and arms. I was the medic responding to the call. Turned out to be one of my more memorable calls as a medic on campus and I would tell the story to lots of people. Made for a perfect interview story at Baylor (COM).

rjhtamu said:
Hi everyone, I'm currently a 3rd year at Baylor following this thread for my girlfriend is also anxiously awaiting interview invites. Good luck to all of you, and don't stress the interviews all that much. Most of mine were strictly conversational. They really just want to get to know who you are more than anything else. If I could offer any advice, it would be to come up with a personal story or experience that is fairly unique and might make you memorable.

As an example, I was an EMT in my undergrad years and we would staff the football games for the fans and spectators. Baylor (University) always brings their little black bear cub mascot to their football games, and on this particular day it was in a bad mood and attacked its animal handler and mauled him up his hands and arms. I was the medic responding to the call. Turned out to be one of my more memorable calls as a medic on campus and I would tell the story to lots of people. Made for a perfect interview story at Baylor (COM).

I had heard that story from my sister-in-law who went to Baylor, but she wasn't even sure if it was true or not (she stopped going to football games after a very short time)! That's crazy! Definitely a memorable story! Thanks for the advice too, we can all use it, I'm sure (at least I can!)! :D

jodyleeann said:
yourmom~nah, they don't have to have the LORs to process you. Some of the schools will hold off till they have your entire package to process your app tho, from what I can tell and what I've heard from previous years.
so how does this appear the "status of application documents" page? right now it has my mcat scores marked complete, both my transcripts are in but it's not complete yet, and everything has been received...not processed yet. maybe i just need to stop being so anal and wait huh?

if it's a week to two week turnaround, i should be hearing from them in the next week or so.

Hey everyone...fellow TMDSAS applicant here. Congrats to everyone that got an interview and good luck to all on the rest of the application cycle.

I was hoping you guys could help me out.

In the personal biography section on TMDSAS on the questions where they ask you to list activities for example where they ask you to list any leadership roles or positions of responsibility held while in college and to the present and the question on research activities (Questions 34b and 35 respectively) did you guys try and include a description of the position/activity as well (these questions don't ask for hours blah blah)?

I know it only says list the activities but if I have room should I try and one line a brief description? Or seeing as space is tight and I might not clearly describe them should I just forget about it? What did you guys end up doing?

Thanks-I appreciate all your help-this is pretty much the only thing holding up my submission (that and 16 hours at work!) so I'm excited to hear your advice so I can press the little button and relax a wee bit and start worrying about getting interviews! :)

Cheers!

P.S I apologise for any grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and run-on sentences-I'm too lazy to preview and check :D

I submitted TMDSAS on 6/29 and I still haven't been processed. I got an email last week from the person processing my app saying that some of the words were cut off on my responses and that I should resubmit. I didn't resubmit, instead I just copy and pasted my responses in a response email (my comp didn't show any cut-off words). She said that she had misread my app and apologized for the delay and said that it was fine and that she would keep processing. We're a couple of days for the 4 week point, and I'm still not processed. What's goin on?

jodyleeann said:
I had heard that story from my sister-in-law who went to Baylor, but she wasn't even sure if it was true or not (she stopped going to football games after a very short time)! That's crazy! Definitely a memorable story! Thanks for the advice too, we can all use it, I'm sure (at least I can!)! :D

You've heard of my story? Wow, I didn't realize it made that kind of impression.

rjhtamu said:
You've heard of my story? Wow, I didn't realize it made that kind of impression.

she had just heard about the bear getting grumpy and scratching the living bejeezus out of it's handler, but she said she wasn't sure if someone had just made it up or not trying to get people to go to the games....hahaha.

I sent in the Application on 7/18 and was fully processed today 7/27

Stats
UT Austin, BA Geography, BS Human Biology
Cum 3.23
Science 3.35
MCAT 28R
last thirty hours 4.0

EC's
EMT-Basic
Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity
Transported Bevo to all his events for a year.
Legislative Aide at the State Capitol for a session
Real Estate Agent
If accepted fourth generation physician

I still need to send in secondaries to TECH, TCOM, A&M, and Southwesten(dont have a chance but what the hell)

GPA low because when I started undergard I went to crappy high school in a small town where I grew up and never had to learn how to study. Also, my dad told me not to be a doctor in 2002 because of the med malpratice crisis and managed care bs. Tried a bunch of other jobs and realized medicine is what I have to do to be happy so I got my ass in gear and rolled my last 30 hours of science classes. Hope I get a few interviews.

Also applying to Kirksville Osteopathic school, because I am a legacy and my Grandpa, Dad, and Uncle all went there.

Hoping for the Texas acceptance for that in state tuition, but this state is tough to get in so I am not going to worry to much. I want to be a Primary Care doc in a small town so I dont really care where I go to school (allo or osteo), but I will not leave the country.

On an entirely different note, per the advice of its vets (from Texas A&M.....hisssssss), they are no longer taking the bears to the football games anymore. Apparently something about the noise and how it makes the bears uneasy and and what not.

I would want to apply the same thing to Bevo...but that thing is so big and looks like it doesnt mind being anywhere as long as its fed and has some room to roam at times.

chaeymaey said:
I submitted TMDSAS on 6/29 and I still haven't been processed. I got an email last week from the person processing my app saying that some of the words were cut off on my responses and that I should resubmit. I didn't resubmit, instead I just copy and pasted my responses in a response email (my comp didn't show any cut-off words). She said that she had misread my app and apologized for the delay and said that it was fine and that she would keep processing. We're a couple of days for the 4 week point, and I'm still not processed. What's goin on?
You won't believe this, but a couple hours after I posted, my TMDSAS was processed! It took a month, but at least it's done. The bad news: my sci GPA dropped from 3.3 in AMCAS to 3.2 in TMDSAS. Curse you, B+'s!

BaylorGuy said:
On an entirely different note, per the advice of its vets (from Texas A&M.....hisssssss), they are no longer taking the bears to the football games anymore. Apparently something about the noise and how it makes the bears uneasy and and what not.

I would want to apply the same thing to Bevo...but that thing is so big and looks like it doesnt mind being anywhere as long as its fed and has some room to roam at times.

Of course this was way before my time, but the story here at Tech goes something like this: We have a cannon in our stadium that they shoot off every time we score a touchdown (like oh, lemme see, half of the rest of the country! ;) but that's beside the point) and we have the masked rider on a black horse (for those of ya'll that don't know our mascots, cuz we're just tech and no one cares about us! :p ). Well I guess at the beginning of one of our games the cannon was shot off and it spooked the horse and it ran straight into one of the concrete side walls on the inside of the stadium. It broke the horse's neck (it died instantly) and threw the rider into the concrete wall. I don't know what happened to the rider. Well, now we have this like foot and half thick foam padding stuff around the stadium covering the concrete walls. Great story, but would have hated having to actually witness it. Poor horsey! :(

chaeymaey said:
You won't believe this, but a couple hours after I posted, my TMDSAS was processed! It took a month, but at least it's done. The bad news: my sci GPA dropped from 3.3 in AMCAS to 3.2 in TMDSAS. Curse you, B+'s!

Congrats! I'm glad they finally got you all figured out! If I were u, I would go over the printable app thingie really carefully and make sure they didn't jack anything up.....just with the probs you've already had with those goobers, I wouldn't want to chance it. JMO of course! ;)

We have a new Bevo now and he is like a puppy dog. The old bevo, the one I handled was a pain in the ass to catch. He threw me fifteen feet one time, when I had him grabed around his horn to harness him up. Fun times though, I will always remember the days I spent with good ole bevo, and a little trivia for yall, Bevo XIII was the longest running bevo before his retirement last year, he went for 18 years, and his real name is Sunrise Express. We do not drug bevo with anything before any function, and the University of Texas does not own Bevo, he is borrowed from a famous longhorn rancher about an hour northwest of Austin. Well, found out my apps were sent to all the schools today, maybe the UT System will give me some love for the days I spent handling their prize mascot for free.

only a horn would take pride in being thrown 15 ft by some bum steer. go A&M!

liverpoolufmd08 said:
I was hoping you guys could help me out.

In the personal biography section on TMDSAS on the questions where they ask you to list activities for example where they ask you to list any leadership roles or positions of responsibility held while in college and to the present and the question on research activities (Questions 34b and 35 respectively) did you guys try and include a description of the position/activity as well (these questions don't ask for hours blah blah)?

I know it only says list the activities but if I have room should I try and one line a brief description? Or seeing as space is tight and I might not clearly describe them should I just forget about it? What did you guys end up doing?

Thanks-I appreciate all your help

Cheers!

Anyone? Thanks.

liverpoolufmd08 said:
Anyone? Thanks.

Hi liverpool. Here's the deal, when you start to type in your activities, you'll realize that they don't give you very much space. For me, I didn't have room to describe it. I asked the TMDSAS people, and they told me to follow directions (directions that never specified). I don't think they really know or care what you do for activities section because frankly everytime I ask, they go..do your best. Sooo, with that said, list it in your box...if you have space (which I highly doubt because I didn't), then write a brief description of how frequently you dedicate your time and what type of responsibilities you have. I would not recommend writing the "what I learn" type description. Simply not enough room. Save it for your interviews :) Hope that helps.

BlinkyCat said:
Hi liverpool. Here's the deal, when you start to type in your activities, you'll realize that they don't give you very much space. For me, I didn't have room to describe it. I asked the TMDSAS people, and they told me to follow directions (directions that never specified). I don't think they really know or care what you do for activities section because frankly everytime I ask, they go..do your best. Sooo, with that said, list it in your box...if you have space (which I highly doubt because I didn't), then write a brief description of how frequently you dedicate your time and what type of responsibilities you have. I would not recommend writing the "what I learn" type description. Simply not enough room. Save it for your interviews :) Hope that helps.

Definitely does. Thanks a tonne and good luck with everything!

BlinkyCat said:

That's pretty much what I did last year. For one of sections, I just listed without any descriptions because there just wasn't enough room. You'll be asked to elaborate on some of them during your interviews. In fact, the Texas interviews were the easiest I had because they were mostly just asking me to elaborate on the things I listed in my application

Brain said:
That's pretty much what I did last year. For one of sections, I just listed without any descriptions because there just wasn't enough room. You'll be asked to elaborate on some of them during your interviews. In fact, the Texas interviews were the easiest I had because they were mostly just asking me to elaborate on the things I listed in my application

Thanks all for your help. i appreciate it. Unfortunately have to bug you guys again :D

In section 12 on TMDSAS: 'Supplemental Data Request'

Questions 6 through 13 relate to the household in which you were raised or spent the majority of your life from birth to age 18.

I lived overseas till I was 17 (then moved to the states). What do I put for the following question regarding my zip code? Is N/A or INT'L sufficient seeing as I didn't have a U.S zip code? I can't fit the name of the city in there so that's definitely not an option. I realise this is a wee bit anal on my part but i don't want TMDSAS to hold up my application or contact me asking me what the hell did I put down.

Primary Residence Zip Code: ?

I'm sure since this is just internal information (it is supplemental and demographic it seems) they're asking for it's not a big deal and it really shouldn't matter what I put down or affect my process time. Just thought I'd get your opinions on it before I hit submit.

Also (and probably a little more important!), how can I print the application to check it before I send it out? I'm sure there's a print function somewhere but guess I'm an idiot cause I can't find it. Is it an option only AFTER you print out the certification page? or is it somewhere completely different?

Alrighty, that's it for the stupid questions...I appreciate all your help and thanks in advance!

Good luck!

Liverpool

EvoDevo said:
What he said. :thumbup:

Don't you have another 'birthday' party to goto? :laugh:

Anyway, ditto what prophecies said!

-tx

liverpoolufmd08 said:
Thanks all for your help. i appreciate it. Unfortunately have to bug you guys again :D

In section 12 on TMDSAS: 'Supplemental Data Request'

Questions 6 through 13 relate to the household in which you were raised or spent the majority of your life from birth to age 18.

I lived overseas till I was 17 (then moved to the states). What do I put for the following question regarding my zip code? Is N/A or INT'L sufficient seeing as I didn't have a U.S zip code? I can't fit the name of the city in there so that's definitely not an option. I realise this is a wee bit anal on my part but i don't want TMDSAS to hold up my application or contact me asking me what the hell did I put down.

Primary Residence Zip Code: ?

I'm sure since this is just internal information (it is supplemental and demographic it seems) they're asking for it's not a big deal and it really shouldn't matter what I put down or affect my process time. Just thought I'd get your opinions on it before I hit submit.

Also (and probably a little more important!), how can I print the application to check it before I send it out? I'm sure there's a print function somewhere but guess I'm an idiot cause I can't find it. Is it an option only AFTER you print out the certification page? or is it somewhere completely different?

Alrighty, that's it for the stupid questions...I appreciate all your help and thanks in advance!

Good luck!

Liverpool

Hi Liverpool, are you gonna call TMDSAS? I think this one is a tough one, since I don't know of many people who are in your situation. I don't want to guess around and tell you random stuff. Maybe you should call for this one just in case. They're really nice and answered all my anal questions :)

when does the Texas interview cycle end?

gostudy said:
when does the Texas interview cycle end?
I think interviews should be over by next week. Southwestern has its last session on 1/7 I believe.

Has anyone else heard the (possible) rumor about the RCW updates on your applicant profile on TMDSAS and how it corresponds to whether or not you've been matched if the date is after the 15th? Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any validity to it or not!

*bump* I want to hear who matched where!

UT Houston for me!