Texas Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applegirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you on a waiting list at the schools in Texas. I am on the waiting list at TT and I would like some helpful advice. I already asked these questions but never got answers. When do you think that the waiting list starts to move because I think now it is at a standstill.

Also, I wrote at letter that listed all my accomplisments and EC activities since my application. I got an award in January. I also sent my transcript from last semester where I got a 4.0. I even asked two professors to write additonal LOR. I am just wondering what else I can do.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know when waitlists begin to move but i think it should be soon because acceptance forms were due last week. Even so, it probably won't be until late spring when the schools have their classes filled. You might try calling (though I guess you already have) I don't know what else you besides what you've done (letter of interest, LOR etc) other maybe send another letter of interest every 3-4 weeks reiterating your interest. Best of luck.

I'm waitlisted @ Houston...I submitted a letter of interest two weeks ago, and I'll put in another one in about two more, this time including progress regarding my research, etc. Maybe I'll get a prof to write an additional LOR.

As someone probably said, waitlists SUCK. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called UTH a couple of days ago and they told me that they were going to send out acceptances as the confirmation sheets of their matched students come in. So I guess that means more waiting...
And I don't know how other schools waitlists work but for UTH, it's a ranked waitlist and they just accept people according to your rank. When I asked them if I could provide any information that would improve my chances of getting off the waitlist, I was told that nothing can change the rank. SUCKS! :rolleyes:

So it doesn't matter if you send additional LORs, ECs, or stuff like that to the adcom?

Ugh.

And I suppose that you couldn't get your waitlist rank outta them, either?

Bleh. :(

Originally posted by Rothgar
So it doesn't matter if you send additional LORs, ECs, or stuff like that to the adcom?

Ugh.

And I suppose that you couldn't get your waitlist rank outta them, either?

Bleh. :(

Sorry Rothgar! And of course they won't give out where you rank either! Double bummer! :(

It is true that students are "ranked" on the waitlist at UT-Houston, but you must understand that the rankings are based on the score the admissions committee gave you after your interview. The scale on which you are ranked is narrow and so many students are in fact tied with the same score. You could be tied for first on the waitlist but are tied with 30 other students with the same score. What's the tiebreaker? The tiebreaker has a lot to do with all the things you guys are doing...letters of interest, updates on grades/research/experiences, additional letters of rec. Keep pluggin'...it DOES work.

Anyone here from San Antonio about being waitlisted?

I just called the admissions office in UTHSC-San Antonio and was told letters indicating spots on the alternate lists were sent out today -- more will be sent tomorrow.

"And that's as far as we've gotten," she said. (How much further can you go?)

Thanks- I'm glad to hear they are behind on sending out their letters. It leaves some hope that I may still get one from them :)
They had told me in early Feb that they were mailing them out Feb 10th.

Anyone get any Post-interview rejection letters from San Antonio or Galveston? and anyone get any waitlist letters from San Antonio or Galveston?

Hey vikvaz,

Yeah, UTMB's "alternate pool" letters went out on Feb. 14th. Got mine on the 18th.