MD & DO Texas WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EParker37

Paramagician
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that my prelims are in:

Stats:
27 y/o male texas resident.
3.638 cGPA, 3.678 sGPA
3.52 for UG with upward trend from freshman-senior
4.0 informal post-bacc pre-reqs at a CC and upper-div biochem at my alma mater

MCAT:
Chem/Phys: 127 (79th)
CARS: 126 (70th)
Bio: 126 (67th)
Psych/Soc: 129 (93rd)

Comp: 508 (77th)

Volunteering:
-Volunteer Firefighter/EMT throughout my undergraduate and paramedic education. ~5+ hours per week for 5 years.
  • Was a member of the recruitment panel and also a fire academy instructor for new members.
-About 100 hours of unpaid tutoring for undergraduate science students.

Work Experience:
-911 paramedic and critical care flight medic for 2 years. 40+ hrs/wk for two years.
  • Was an FTO for evaluating and training new hire paramedics and for paramedic students who rotated through my box.
-Paramedic at a level 1 pediatric trauma center 2013 - present. 36+ hours per week for over two years now.
  • Preceptor for new hires and volunteers who rotate through our department.
  • Operate throughout the facility and have interaction with all specialites. Work as part of the code team, IV access team, trauma tech in the ED, teach CPR to families before discharge, monitor patients during procedures, and other tasks as necessary.
  • Helped to craft the ebola response and transport policy for the hospital including setting up training exercises and getting staff up to speed on current isolation recommendations and our hospitals specific policy regarding potential cases. We were the CDC designated facility for patients under the age of 14, had interaction with local, state and federal public health officials and worked with these teams to create our policy.

Research:
-6 months working as a research coordinator for the urology department at the hospital. Recruited study participants and gathered clinical data throughout the process including scrubbing in for OR procedures as necessary to assist with gathering clinical data. ~150 hours

Other:
I have strong LOR's from post-bacc professors who can attest to my academic ability and passion for science/medicine.

Schools applied to (TMDSAS):
UTSW
UTHSC Houston
UTHSC San Antonio
Texas Tech Lubbock
Paul L foster TT El Paso
UTMB Galveston
Texas A&M
UNT HSC TCOM
Hopefully adding Dell if they open this year.

Wondering if I should bother doing an out of state application or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a good shot at all the schools except for Baylor and UTSW!

Dell is now listed on the LCME site as having preliminary accreditation so they should be accepting applicants soon. Also watch for UT Rio Grande to achieve the same status later this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping for more advice, worried about the Bio subsection score. Other than continuing to work is there anything else I could do to boost my chances a little?

Edited to reflect actual scores, application is complete now. Wondering if that MCAT is strong enough for texas schools, based on the old score system it should be according to MSAR, but unsure at this point.