Texas, What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cloud13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas Resident
4.0 GPA
Haven't taken the MCAT yet, signed up for next year
Been on leadership team with my campus ministry for 2.5 years
Done a lot of community service through the ministry, e.g., kids camps, mission trips, homeless outreach
Shadowed a Family Medicine doc recently for about 8 hours, loved it
Trying to get volunteer hours lined up at the local hospital and/or urgent care clinic
Worked for the past 5 years (and still going) with a company heavily involved in vaccine shipment, medical inventory management, and public health
Should be able to get good LOR (My profs usually take a liking to me, haha)

I was behind the curve in deciding that medicine was for sure what I wanted to do (I'm a senior), so I definitely don't have as many shadowing and volunteer hours as a lot of people, but I've put in a lot of time at work during college and I'm trying to get those other things built up now. Additionally, I think I want to do an EMT course during my gap year.

I'm planning on applying to all of the Texas med schools, and I'm also considering applying to USUHS.

Anyway, feel free to give me the straight dope about what I've got so far!

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently I'm beyond help. :laugh:

:laugh: Its ok bro apparently I am too! I posted earlier this afternoon and still havent heard anything, but three other people who posted after me were responded too quickly! :rolleyes: I guess it just depends.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only recommendation I would give (take it for what it is I am still in the preparation process myself) is to beef up a few of your ECs. Your GPA is awesome, and if you get at least a decent MCAT (30+) you will be in great shape. I would get some more shadowing behind your belt, look for some research opportunities and get that hospital volunteer for the patient exposure hours. If you do that you will be in good shape in my eyes, much better prepared than me :)

Get a decent MCAT (30+), submit your application early, don't bomb your interviews, and you'll be fine.

I'm new here, and by no means am I far along in my "pre-med" career, but I think I can provide a little insight.

I read on another thread here that applying in Texas actually raises your chances a good deal. That is due to the fact that Texas is one of the states that prefers in state students. On top of that, due to the TMDSAS there is another hurdle for aspiring doc's to jump through so it kinda provides an additional screen. So from what I gather, so long as your MCAT is decent (around 30) you should have a good chance when compared to out of state students.

Another piece of advice I picked up is that having a major that is uncommon (not Biology) is another bonus when applying. Taken all that into account, I'd say you should be stressing over med-school assignments fairly soon.

Good luck

Here is some insights I gleaned solely from browsing SDN.

1. Leadership - good
2. Volunteer activities. Seems OK. Try to tabulate it and see if it totals over 200 hours (I believe this is the minimum).
3. Shadowing - Make it at least 50 h spread over a couple of specialities
4. Have a hobby that you can talk about? Marathons, playing the guitar etc?
5. Speak a language other than English?
6. MCAT > 30
7. Apply early
8. Get some research. Publication would be ideal.

Last edited: