Text books for 1st year at MSU

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by MSU2004, May 1, 2000.

1. MSU2004

MSU2004 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I thought I'd start a new thread specifically for those of us who will be at MSU this fall. I am going to be at E. Lansing to look for housing and, while I'm there, I would like to pick up any required books for anatomy and biochemistry. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get?

Thanks,

Dave

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RYSA

RYSA Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Dave,

It's good to hear from someone who will also be matriculating at MSU this fall. Are you MSUCOM or MSU-CHM? In case you're wondering, I am MSU-CHM not MSUCOM. But, in either case, we will be taking the same basic medical courses in the first year.

By now you should have received the info package sent out by the Office of Student Affairs. In this package, we have been given a very tentative booklist for only a few of the courses we will be taking in the Fall. Based on what a couple of my MSII friends have said, the best thing to do is wait until orientation week to buy the majority of your books. You'll be able to talk to upper year students, and will probably be able to either borrow or buy many of the texts that you will need. However, if you really want a jump start, I've been told that Netter and Snell are the best texts for anatomy and that Rohen is good if you want a leg up in the bellringers/practical anatomy lab exams. Another tip, check out textbook.com, they have the lowest prices for medical books (both used and new) that I have found so far.

Hope my post helps you. Congratulations on your acceptance, enjoy your summer and I look forward to meeting you in come August.

By the way, how has your apartment hunting been coming along? If you need any recommendations for good apartments in Lansing, email me and I'll provide you with more info.

I really hope other MSU medical students, new or otherwise, will keep this thread going and provide valuable information.

Take care,

Renee

------------------
    "A goal without a deadline is, in reality, only a wish"

4. MIguy

MIguy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone got any names of good apartments in E. Lansing? I haven't looked yet, will start CHM in August...let me know here or via email.

Thanks

5. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey fellow Spartans. I still haven't got the packet you speak of with suggested text, etc.. Admissions has informed me previously that they are making significant changes to the basic sciences curriculum. They hope to integrate certain courses with overlaping material. I assume that's holding things up a bit.

In anycase, I've decided on Trapers Cove Apt. They are very nice. 530/month single room. My buddy is already up at Ashton Lakes apt. 580/month very nice also but a little pricey. Check out http://www.rent.net they've got the best listings for apts in the area that I could find.

------------------
    DocGibby
    MSUCOM class of 2004

6. RYSA

RYSA Member
    10+ Year Member

In the info package sent out last week by the College of Human Medicine, the new curriculum is included for perusal. Basically, we have to take two semesters of Cell Bio/Physiology instead of one and they have shortened the BioChem course and placed Medical Genetics right after BioChem in the first semester. This all amounts to the medical students finishing final exams about three weeks earlier than in the previous curriculum (i.e., July 3, 2001). As I stated earlier, I am MSU-CHM not MSUCOM, so maybe MSUCOM has just been a little slower than the College of Human Medicine in getting out the info packages.

With regards to apartments, I have decided on a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment at Dover's Crossing for only $600/month (including water and heat). I thought this was very reasonable for a two bedroom, plus the apartment is huge, is clean and its close enough to campus.

DocGibby, when I checked out Trappers Cove, they indicated that they don't rent to fulltime students, has this policy changed? Other apartments that you can check out is Grosebeck Pines...beautiful luxury apartments with in-unit washer/dryer..two bedrooms, two bathrooms, however only consider this apartment if you want a roommate because the rent of $775-810/month is way to steep for a single medical student to afford. Apparently more than half a dozen medical students live in this apartment complex.

The info pack that will be sent out will include the "Apartments Guide" and "Golden Guide" that has a full listing of apartments in the Lansing area...be sure to check them out and also in the back of the "Golden Guide" you can generally find coupons that discount the app fee, first months rent or security deposits for most of these apartments.

See you in August...have a good summer.

Renee

------------------
    "A goal without a deadline is, in reality, only a wish"

7. reddy

reddy Member
    10+ Year Member

I haven't received the info packet from MSUCOM yet either. I also chose Trapper's Cove, a 1 bedroom apartment that will be either $445 or $470 (depending on availability). Have to check out the possible "no student policy". I believe a couple of students were moving office when we were inquiring about apartments in the office at Trapper's Cove. Maybe it's student friendly now(?).

reddy

8. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the fill in RYSA.

As far as the full-time student thing at Trapppers. At Trappers you need to have a co-signer in order to get an apartment. This requirement seems to go against the full-time student who doesn't have a co-signer. For myself, I had my dad co-sign and that worked fine. My girlfriend tried to get an apartment, but since she didn't have the co-signer she was denied. If you don't have the co-signer, they next look to see if you will be working in the lansing area. If you have a job that pays well enough to meet their criteria then you won't need the co-sign. Once again if your from out of town and you don't have a house as collateral, then you'll need the co-signer. I hope this explanation wasn't too confusing.

9. DrSRBS

DrSRBS Member
    10+ Year Member

Great to see the dialogue between our classmates already! I am also in the class of 2004, in MSUCOM.

My fiancee and I have leased a townhouse at a place on Wood called Pepper Tree. It is a 3-bedroom, 1240 sq. ft. place plus full basement and fenced-in sideyard and garage for $825/mo. Not a bad prospect if three students wanted to room together--$275/mo each. We're really pleased with the management so far. We will not be moving in until late July, and they have made special arrangements for us to retain the unit with our deposit.

I started the search for a place by searching on www.rent.com. We has all but settled on Carriage Hill East, which is a better location (just up Hagadorn from campus), but their price for a comparable unit was more than $200 more. Luckily, while we were in their office, we found a brochure listing all of the apartment communities in the area and there were a lot of places listed that weren't on the website. That's how we found Pepper Tree. I recommend consulting a number of different sources for ideas.

The textbook situation is kind of up in the air, I agree. I hope we'll get some more information soon.

See you all in August,

------------------
    Scott
    MSUCOM Class of 2004

10. DrSRBS

DrSRBS Member
    10+ Year Member

Just noticed, on the MSUCOM website, at least for OMM 501, we were given the following text info for the fall.

Bates, Barbara, M.D., A Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking,
    6th Ed., J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, PA, 1995. (Required)

Greenman, Philip E., D.O., F.A.A.O., Principles of Manual Medicine,
    Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins, 2nd Edition, 1996. (Required).

Hoppenfeld, Stanley, M.D., Physical Examination of the Spine & Extremities,
    Appleton-Century-Crofts, East Norwalk, CT, 1992. (Recommended).

OST 501 - Coursepack (COM Copy Center E111 Fee Hall). (Required).

There is some info on the biochem texts for BCH 521, but with this new "interim" biochem plan, it might be different now. The location for that is http://kobiljak.com.msu.edu/cai/bch521/521_prot.htm

------------------
    Scott
    MSUCOM Class of 2004

11. MOXIEJEN DO 2003

10+ Year Member

The only textbooks ABSOLUTELY necessary are Netter (get the soft-cover version so you can have it unbound and hole-punched at Kinko's) and get a hold of Lippincott's Biochem review. All of the required textbooks are on reserve at the KRC, so you can use them as you need them. Also, wait to get to East Lansing before you buy anything, (except for the two listed above, which in my humble-almost-done-with-first-year-opinion) because you will be matched up with a big sib who may just loan you their textbooks for the semester. The coursepacks here are VERY comprehensive, and for the most part, you can pass all your classes with just coursepack and scribes. For clinical skills, you will need the books listed in the posting a few back, especially for OMM.

12. Doc777

Doc777 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I totally agree with Moxiejen (evidently a fellow MSU student whom I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet). The course packs and scribes are all you need for most classes, with exception of Anatomy, which requires an atlas, and a good illustrated text (in my opinion). I really don't like Netter, but I'm in the minority with this opinion. Netter is like studying from a cartoon, and its safe to say that nothing in Netter looks like the structures in the bodies. Netter is good for landmark and orientation purposes only, but everyone has it under their pillow nonetheless. If you have some extra money taking up too much space in your wallet, I recommend that Netter be supplemented with Rohen,

Let me just caution those of you reading this thread and say that every student is differnt, and what is good for me or moxiejen may not be good for you. Some students need a comprehensive text, while others don't. I do agree with my fellow Spartan that no one should buy anything until you get up to East Lansing for orientation, and have a chance to talk to some of the second year students.

Best regards.
    Doc777
    MS-II (soon to be III)
    MSUCOM

To Moxiejen: How's Pharmacology coming along?...hehehehehehe...not the best way to spend your Summer is it. [​IMG]

13. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My buddy up there, current first year. Agrees with both of you. He barely uses the text books for anything. His own notes and the coursepacks cover everything. That seems to be the consensous among his classmates as well.

14. oneshot

oneshot New Member

If I were you guys, I'd check berrytree apartments, I have a one bedroom which is huge and I pay $540 a month (includes heat, water) and it is about a 6-8 minute walk to campus. As for books, I would definitely get the Netter atlas (I agree with you MoxieJen Do--you know who I am) as for any other books, nah! The scribes are the key!!
    And by the way, pharmacology ranks right up there with biochem--very hard!

15. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

oneshot

How can you stand the train running directly behind your apt. all day long?

16. Peregrin

Peregrin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    RYSA and MIguy, you are the only two I have seen on these boards from MSUCHM. It seems like there are loads from COM, I was feeling pretty outnumbered; I too start CHM this fall. I imagine I'll have a chance to meet you in about a month!

17. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

First year text book advice (my own CHM opinion, after finishing my first year):
    1) I bought the required texts and used them. Many people did not, it is whatever works for you. I liked them for reference and to clear up points that weren't clear.
    2) I recommend supplemental texts. The extra $30 or so is worth it, buy a board review book for every major course. I found the following simply wonderful, I would say BUY THEM:
    1st sem:Clin. Anat. Made Ridiculously Simple
    Lippincott's Biochem
    BRS Physiology
    2nd sem:Cli. Micro Made Rid. Simple
    Robbins Path Review
    The CD from the prof for path!!
    Clin. Neuro Made Rid. Simple
    Summer: Lippincott Pharm
    Pharm Review (for recommended text)
    Pharm Made Rid. Simple
    (Wow, lots of pharm books, it's hard)
    3) If you buy and use the Board Review books now, you will have them and know how they work for the boards!
    4) Good luck! It's not that bad, 1st year is fun. You might have a shock of the pure volume at first, but don't worry, you will all do fine.
    LR6SO4 (This will get you 50% of the clinical type neuro questions correct!)