text books..help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foofighter7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, my name is billy btw, ill be posting a lot from now on, i take mcats in april and am a junior at utaustin. i always read this forums my sophmore year but never posted. anyway, my question is, does this seem like a good idea? i was going to read TPR hyperlearning books, followed with examkrackers, and them complete all the Kaplan and AAMC testing material. Im just curious if this would be a good way to study. My gpa isn't stellar by any means, so i really need to shoot for a 33 on this test. thanks ppl!

my aim is "thefoospring02" if anyone wants to IM me...thnaks again

Members don't see this ad.

What in the tarnhill are you aiming for a 33 for?? Just because you know you probaby can't hit the red dot in the middle doesn't mean you stop aiming at it. :)

One thing I woud watch out for is quality vs quantity. Be sure to focus. I just made it through the EK books for the first time and I still feel lame. Some chapters need a lot more than a review, you know?

I found these resources:

This one has textbooks for all subjects available for download:

http://textbookrevolution.org/medical

...and this one I fell in love with and had to post it.

http://freebooks4doctors.com/index.htm

Anyway, make sure you have the time and money, my friend, and you'll rip it to shreds.

Caboose.

Love your last link Caboose. Awesome.
:thumbup:

Caboose said:
What in the tarnhill are you aiming for a 33 for?? Just because you know you probaby can't hit the red dot in the middle doesn't mean you stop aiming at it. :)

One thing I woud watch out for is quality vs quantity. Be sure to focus. I just made it through the EK books for the first time and I still feel lame. Some chapters need a lot more than a review, you know?

I found these resources:

This one has textbooks for all subjects available for download:

http://textbookrevolution.org/medical

...and this one I fell in love with and had to post it.

http://freebooks4doctors.com/index.htm

Anyway, make sure you have the time and money, my friend, and you'll rip it to shreds.

Caboose.

i agree with the replier above me, you can have all the books in the world but if you dont slow down and understand what you are doing incorrectly you will never fix your mistakes. You have the material, now you need the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
im using a bio book by Campbell/Reece called Biology (6th edition) will this be sufficiently in depth to cover the bio portion of the MCAT (for those who have used this book)

Yeah the Campbell/Reece Biology (6th edition) should be enough to cover it (from my experience). There is alot of genetics as well, so you might need to supplement that section.

Sounds like a lot of material. Thing is, its all from different companies, with slightly different theories. In the end, it won't matter, just as long as you know how to guage your progress. The TPR hyperlearning will be a lot of reading, but it will cover everything ever on the mcat. May/maynot be waste of time for some subjects in which you are strongest, but allows for one source of information. Dunno too much about EK's strategy. Kaplan tests, from my experience, I thought it was easier than the MCAT, but still excellent practice, especially for honing on accuracy and speed. The newest AAMC tests are decent guage of MCAT, but just not practice enough material to be only source. All combined, I think it may be confusing. I say try reading similar chapters/sections from the different books you have and see what jive's better with your study habits. Stick with that one until you reach a subject thats confusing again, and try the first one over (as different chapters/sections are commonly written by different authors and vary in quality).

sscooterguy

foofighter7 said:
i was going to read TPR hyperlearning books, followed with examkrackers, and them complete all the Kaplan and AAMC testing material. Im just curious if this would be a good way to study.

Why not, that's what I did. I've read Kaplan and TPR review materials so far. I don't have the EK books, but I do have their Audio Osmosis cds, so I'll give those a spin soon :eek:

Taking a Kaplan class in the spring too :eek:

Then doing AAMC and Kaplan practice materials too :eek: