Textbook about Infection Pathogenesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudent219

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for textbooks that would help me understand how exactly microorganisms can cause disease. For example, in meningitis, how they end up spreading through the blood and or lymph vessels etc. Not just causative agents that kind of thing. I would really like to improve my understanding because my knowledge is basically limited to: x causes y infection, treat with z. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks so much! (ive heard clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple but i couldnt really find anything about pathogenesis in it, it was more so focussed on the causative agents.

Members don't see this ad.

I liked Robbins pathology for this buts it's a heavy lift and required a physical book as a companion for the really nuanced stuff. This was about a decade ago tho so there may be better out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I was looking for textbooks that would help me understand how exactly microorganisms can cause disease. For example, in meningitis, how they end up spreading through the blood and or lymph vessels etc. Not just causative agents that kind of thing. I would really like to improve my understanding because my knowledge is basically limited to: x causes y infection, treat with z. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks so much! (ive heard clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple but i couldnt really find anything about pathogenesis in it, it was more so focussed on the causative agents.
Was going to recommend: Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple ... but you said it didn't have the answers. What kind of details are you looking for ? Perhaps start with an 'Infectious Disease' textbook

Members don't see this ad :)
The textbook my med school uses for our microbio block is Sherris Microbiology. I've never looked at it, since I view reading textbooks as a waste of time, when sketchy, Boards and Beyond and Pathoma are available. But it may have what you're looking for.

Robbins is actually a pleasant read. Only read the things I wanted to find out more about since the book is a monster.

The textbook my med school uses for our microbio block is Sherris Microbiology. I've never looked at it, since I view reading textbooks as a waste of time, when sketchy, Boards and Beyond and Pathoma are available. But it may have what you're looking for.
I asked my Microbiology colleagues about this and they also recommend Sherris as well on this particular subject.

I might have one that fits what you're looking for, but I moved recently so I'm not quite sure where I put it. Will try and get back to you.