Textbook Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ibn Rushd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we're starting a new basic science unit in about a week. We're going to be doing biochem, molecular, genetics, physio, embryo, and histo. The syllabus has a list of required and recommended textbooks, but I was hoping to get advice from you guys as I don't really know which books are worth getting and which aren't. This is what my school suggests:

Biochem - Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews, Biochemistry, 4th edition
Physio / Molecular - Lippincott’s Illustratted Reviews, Cell and Molecular Biology, 1st edition
Embryo - The Developing Human: clinically oriented embryology, 8th edition by Moore and Prasaud
Histology - Histology: A text and atlas, by Ross (Lippincott)
Genetics - Elsevier’s Integrated Genetics, by Adkison and Brown
[no subject given] - Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 8th ed

The following are recommended:

- Review of Medical Physiology, 22nd edition by Ganong
- Molecular Biology of the Cell, (5th edition) by Alberts, et.al
- Color Atlas of histology, by Gartner (Lippincott)

I'd like to save money and also get only those books which most people use as a first source for a given subject. So any input at all is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken some of those courses yet, but I can comment on a couple of those. "The Developing Human" was used at my school for several years and they just switched to "Before We are Born" (same authors). It's an abbreviated version, and I like it. Unfortunately it's not a lot cheaper. Maybe $50 instead of $65. Lippincott's biochem is essential unless you're a natural genius. Even then, I think you should get it.

I'd ask second-years at your school, though. As I'm sure you've seen in your classes so far, some subjects are taught in such depth that we don't need the books at all, and others just glaze over things that are explained well in the book.

Keep:
Lippincott's Biochem, Robbins Basic Path

Think about getting:
High yield Cell Molecular, Before we are Born

Everything else, don't worry about buying. Chances are, you won't even open the other textbooks.

The ones I listed above (especially Lippincotts Biochem) you will most likely end up using.

Members don't see this ad :)
every school is different; it depends entirely on the resources your school makes available. for example: you would never buy a histology atlas here when a zillion labeled slides are on the school website for free.

ask an upperclassman before you ask random people here. it really is that "school-specific."

Thanks guys. Good call on asking upperclassmen. For some reason I came to SDN first, even though I know several helpful second-years.

As others have said find some upper years and ask them before you spend a penny. It worked out great for me doing that because sometimes they told me to buy a book not on the list. Also there were some classes that the books were a waste of money and time.

So we're starting a new basic science unit in about a week. We're going to be doing biochem, molecular, genetics, physio, embryo, and histo. The syllabus has a list of required and recommended textbooks, but I was hoping to get advice from you guys as I don't really know which books are worth getting and which aren't. This is what my school suggests:

Biochem - Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews, Biochemistry, 4th edition
Physio / Molecular - Lippincott's Illustratted Reviews, Cell and Molecular Biology, 1st edition
Embryo - The Developing Human: clinically oriented embryology, 8th edition by Moore and Prasaud
Histology - Histology: A text and atlas, by Ross (Lippincott)
Genetics - Elsevier's Integrated Genetics, by Adkison and Brown
[no subject given] - Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 8th ed

The following are recommended:

- Review of Medical Physiology, 22nd edition by Ganong
- Molecular Biology of the Cell, (5th edition) by Alberts, et.al
- Color Atlas of histology, by Gartner (Lippincott)

I'd like to save money and also get only those books which most people use as a first source for a given subject. So any input at all is appreciated.

I have highlighted the ones off this list that I recommend.

In seriousness though Robbins and MAYBE a histo atlas are all you really need. I like reading but more often than not I didn't have time for it.

Don't buy. Borrow from library or friends. That way you can figure out which book works for you specifically before buying.

Save cash money :thumbup::thumbup: