1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Textbook for Peds Core rotation

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by superoxide, May 11, 2007.

1. superoxide

superoxide Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a good book to read before I start my peds core rotation. I want to go into pediatrics and I'm hoping to get a good LOR from my attending. Do I have to read Harriet Lane or Nelsons:eek: or are there any other good (i.e: smaller) books out there?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ChildNeuro

ChildNeuro Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi, before starting Pediatrics Rotation I would recommend reading a shorter source than Nelson's or the Harriet Lane book, although you would be well advised to get both of these books, (I actually like Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Pediatrics, 18th Edition, Lange instead of Nelson's). Because your time is limited before/during pediatrics rotation I would recommend reading the following before your Pediatric core:

1. First Aid for the Pediatrics Clerkship. A Student to Student Guide. It is easy to read if you have no experience yet in Pediatrics, i.e. if you try to read Nelson's on the first bat you will miss alot, and some of it will be hard to put into context for the rotation. Reading First Aid before the rotation is the single best way to do well in the clerkship, it is an oldie but a goodie, everybody it seems uses this one. This can be read one week before Peds Core.

2. Pediatric Case Files, Lange. Basically, you buy this book, get a pair of scissors, or just use your hands, and rip out a couple of case files to bring with you for down time. This way you have something quality to read and it doesn't take up valuable pocket-space in your white coat. Or if you have a good sized coat you can bring it with you.

3. Get Harriet Lane, and just look at the Neonatology section, get a feel for the examination of a newborn, what common physical signs are noted in Down's syndrome, get a feel of the newborn relfexes i.e. Moro, what they are, when they disappear, and bring this book with you on during the neonatology party of rotation to reference, now the difference between BreastMilk jaundice and breast feeding jaundice (different pathophysiology), and when jaundice is consider pathologic i.e. in first 24 hrs after birth, treatment, and what phototherapy does. . . Also know the risk factors for intraventricular hemorrhage. It will be good having this book when you are on inpatient neonatology, if just to reference common values.

4. Look up some commonly seen Pediatric disorders in Lange if you have the time for your Peds outpatient portion, i.e.

1. Diagnosis/Physical signs of Strep throat (covered somewhat in First Aid).
    2. Mononucleosis
    3. Asthma Medications - *Most common chronic disease in pediatrics you WILL see asthmatic patients on inpatient service, know how asthmatics keep track of their peak flow, know difference exactly between Mild, Moderate etc . . . stages of asthma and their treatment.
    4. Know how to use growth charts, i.e. constitutional growth delay versus failure to thrive
    5. Take a peak at what the dermatologic manifestations/clinical course of Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, eczema, acne, scarlet fever, in an atlas, and also look at pictures of normal versus acute otitis media TMs,
    there is alot more, but it helps alot in pediatrics to do case scenarios as it seems easier to make diagnosis in pediatrics based on history and physical exam findings than in adults IMHO

5. Do USMLEworld pediatrics section, this will help with recognizing common case scenarios and groups of symptoms/presentation, you can do this during inpatient pediatrics rotation too, maybe at 5-10 questions a day.

4. ChildNeuro

ChildNeuro Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Also, to honors rotation, and/or get the most out of Peds rotation I would recommend to volunteer to do a powerpoint, here are a couple of topic hints of stuff that pediatricians like to hear about, remember, keep it focused, and research at least 3-4 current articles from the literature:

1. Management of Fever in early infancy, i.e. what do you do for an infant less than 28 days old with a fever? Remember, they might have meningitis, UTI, or other source, also perhaps 30% of neonates with pneumoniae don't have "crackles" on lung examination, for this and other reasons fever in this age group is taken more seriously.

2. Treatment of meningitis from infancy to teenage years, common organisms in different age groups, research current practice considering use of steroids.

3. Research some aspect of a new treatment paradigm in asthma, or review the acute management of asthma in the ED, a common disease in pediatric populations.

4. Research about the use of SSRIs in peds population for depression, recent controversy, or about use of ampetamines for ADHD, and diagnosis of ADHD/ADD in children.

These are just a few ideas!

5. Medical123

Medical123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I liked Nelson's Essentials of Pediatrics. It is not as in-depth as the big Nelson text, but should provide the information that you need to know about the more common pediatric conditions for your clerkship. Another good source is Uptodate, which is probably available on the computers at your institution. It sure helped me when I had patients with things like Gaucher's, etc.

6. superoxide

superoxide Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks Childneuro for the excellent suggestions! Do you think it is important to have a good LOR from your Peds Core rotation or do LORS from peds electives/sub-Is count more?

Thanks medical123 for your suggestion.:thumbup:

7. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    casefiles and kaplan were both great