Textbook for procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused_amused

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good textbook that described all of the office-based procedures that one would do in the family practice setting? I seem to think that there was a good book that a program used one time when i was on a family medicine rotation. For example for removing a toe nail, it'd have a list of tools needed, step by step directions and pictures of important steps. Does anyone know what this book might be? Or a good text for this in general? A friendly neighborhood drug-rep offered to buy me a book and i'd like to take them up on that offer. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That's exactly what i was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the link kent.

quick question, what are the chances that i'd be doing a swan-ganz catheterization in my office?

more generally, what percentage of these procedures would practically be used by an fp?

thanks...

quick question, what are the chances that i'd be doing a swan-ganz catheterization in my office?

The book isn't solely aimed at ambulatory practices. Some FPs do hospital medicine; all FM residents do.

more generally, what percentage of these procedures would practically be used by an fp?

Pretty much 100%, potentially. John Pfenninger is an FP. Helluva nice guy, too...I've had the pleasure of meeting him.

ok, poor wording on my behalf.

what are the chances that if you are in a big city (los angeles) private practice, you'd be using 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, or 100 percent of those procedures...?

what are the chances that if you are in a big city (los angeles) private practice, you'd be using 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, or 100 percent of those procedures...?

The only thing preventing you from doing them is your willingness to learn and do them.

Most of us have a certain "repertoire" of procedures that we're comfortable with, and the rest we're happy to send elsewhere. In some cases, they're worth neither the time nor the additional malpractice coverage.

Procedurewise, I peform cryosurgery, skin biopsies, laceration repair, abscess drainage, joint aspiration/injection, partial nail avulsions, but not much else. This is by choice. I learned plenty of other ambulatory procedures in residency (flexible sigmoidoscopy, nasopharyngoscopy, colposcopy, vasectomy, etc.) plus the usual hospital-based procedures (central line placement, Swan-Ganz catheterization, etc.), but I've chosen to limit my "repertoire" for a variety of reasons.