textbook help - cell biology: Alberts v Karp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CATallergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have preferences between these? Which is more in depth, clearer? strengths/weaknesses?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bump

because I'm a loser

We used Karp. I thought it was pretty terrible and only read it before the first exam. Collected dust for the rest of the semester. Our Prof gave us powerpoints though so I just took notes in class and was fine. (got A)

Members don't see this ad :)
The Alberts book is considered by many to be the "bible" of cell bio. I used it in undergrad and grad school. I know many Ph.D. students who studied for their qualifying exams exclusively with the Alberts book and did well. It's one of the few texts I have that I think I will continue to get much use from for a long time.

We used Becker. The text was pretty dense. I wouldn't say it was a "bad" book, but I can imagine there being a better one out there.

Alberts is as comprehensive as it gets. I've taken three different classes where I've used it in some shape or form.

We used Alberts. It annoyed me plenty.

Alberts and Lodish (don't know about Karp) are available on the NCBI website for free:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=Books&cmd=search&term=

This is probably more useful if you are using these texts as a reference and not so much for leisure reading.

We used Alberts for my cell/mol bio class and I used above website and checked the book out of the library when needed--saved me some money.

We used Karp. I thought it was pretty terrible and only read it before the first exam. Collected dust for the rest of the semester. Our Prof gave us powerpoints though so I just took notes in class and was fine. (got A)

I agree with this assessment. I found Karp very difficult to read, and I had a hard time getting the salient points. I didn't learn much from it. I basically managed, with a lot of coffee and patience, to skim it for the tests. I sold it quickly afterwards.