SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

textbook help - cell biology: Alberts v Karp

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CATallergy, May 14, 2007.

1. CATallergy

CATallergy 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Does anyone have preferences between these? Which is more in depth, clearer? strengths/weaknesses?

Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CATallergy

CATallergy 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2007
    bump

because I'm a loser

4. MWK

MWK Over-represented majority 2+ Year Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Lexington KY
    We used Karp. I thought it was pretty terrible and only read it before the first exam. Collected dust for the rest of the semester. Our Prof gave us powerpoints though so I just took notes in class and was fine. (got A)

5. SpartanBlueJay2

SpartanBlueJay2 5+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    OH
    The Alberts book is considered by many to be the "bible" of cell bio. I used it in undergrad and grad school. I know many Ph.D. students who studied for their qualifying exams exclusively with the Alberts book and did well. It's one of the few texts I have that I think I will continue to get much use from for a long time.

6. etf

etf Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2005
    man, and i thought lodish was the standard...

7. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    We used Becker. The text was pretty dense. I wouldn't say it was a "bad" book, but I can imagine there being a better one out there.

8. gsmithers68

gsmithers68 2+ Year Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Alberts is as comprehensive as it gets. I've taken three different classes where I've used it in some shape or form.

9. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2005
    Classyville
    I used Karp and thought it was pretty good.

10. Mr. Belding

Mr. Belding The Dude abides 7+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Bat country
    I used both lodish and alberts' mboc. Both are good texts, if you're into textbooks, that is.

11. medfool24

medfool24 A-Squared 5+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2006
    We used Alberts. It annoyed me plenty.

12. JDMD243.0

JDMD243.0 10+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Alberts and Lodish (don't know about Karp) are available on the NCBI website for free:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=Books&cmd=search&term=

This is probably more useful if you are using these texts as a reference and not so much for leisure reading.

We used Alberts for my cell/mol bio class and I used above website and checked the book out of the library when needed--saved me some money.

13. spicedmanna

spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I agree with this assessment. I found Karp very difficult to read, and I had a hard time getting the salient points. I didn't learn much from it. I basically managed, with a lot of coffee and patience, to skim it for the tests. I sold it quickly afterwards.