Thank God for the gym

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had nine interviews since October, and still no acceptances. Each day for me consists of non-stop, frantic "will I get in?" thoughts, but I have found that there are two places where I find some freedom. First...the kitchen. As a weight training junkie I am extremely meticulous when it comes to planning and preparing my meals each day (I have countless spreadsheet files that attest to this). While cooking, all thoughts of medical school are banished. Then there are the 45 minutes I spend four times a week on a lifecycle. It's difficult to worry about med school when you're wondering where you'll find the strength for your next breath, or how much longer you can go before your heart detonates. Similarly, it's extremely difficult to concentrate on the admissions process when your struggling to keep an olympic bar with three plates on each side from crushing your windpipe on the bench (even if the plates are only five pounds each).

So that's what I look forward to each day...the kitchen and the gym. Short intervals of repreive in this process of endless self-consumption. How do you distract yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by coldchemist
I have had nine interviews since October, and still no acceptances. Each day for me consists of non-stop, frantic "will I get in?" thoughts, but I have found that there are two places where I find some freedom. First...the kitchen. As a weight training junkie I am extremely meticulous when it comes to planning and preparing my meals each day (I have countless spreadsheet files that attest to this). While cooking, all thoughts of medical school are banished. Then there are the 45 minutes I spend four times a week on a lifecycle. It's difficult to worry about med school when you're wondering where you'll find the strength for your next breath, or how much longer you can go before your heart detonates. Similarly, it's extremely difficult to concentrate on the admissions process when your struggling to keep an olympic bar with three plates on each side from crushing your windpipe on the bench (even if the plates are only five pounds each).

So that's what I look forward to each day...the kitchen and the gym. Short intervals of repreive in this process of endless self-consumption. How do you distract yourself?

I jumped out of a plane yesterday. It was the only way! :wow:

Really? Skydiving? That sounds like a great idea! Too bad it's coming from somebody who has multiple acceptances...:D

Members don't see this ad :)
OK but I'm still freaking out about USC, Cornell, and UCSF.

Coldchemist, are you waiting for mostly non-rolling schools? Interviewed at 9 schools and heard nothing back yet is rather unusual I have to say...

I'm almost done hearing from schools, but I've found what helps is going to the gym and writing my thesis, those two things force me to not even think about medical school admissions...

volunteering at a clinic helps me, too, being busy helping others with what's important to them (like no insurance, etc) doesn't give me any time to think about anything else. Try a peds floor at a hospital too.

keep the faith!

I've been stressing out as well, w/ no acceptance yet, lots of papers and school work, and a thesis. Stress is a lot like food... you need it to keep going, but don't keep it around too long or it'll start to fester.

I've got a poker game to look forward to tonight, texas hold 'em is damn good stress relief!

Back to work for a bit longer...

I hear you on the gym. It's always been my outlet. Keeps my able to concentrate, and lets me buckle down and study for hours at a time. It's easier to not get up and screw around when you are too physically exhausted.

i like to go to the park to get my mind off the med school stuff. that's one of the nice things about living in florida in the winter - afternoons in the 60s and 70s. very nice stuff. also, spending time with my dog is fun and relaxing.

coldchemist - it's still very early. of the 15000 people that'll enter med school this fall, i doubt more than 8000 have even one yet because those that do have any acceptances probably have multiples and are still holding them.

Originally posted by CalBeE
Coldchemist, are you waiting for mostly non-rolling schools? Interviewed at 9 schools and heard nothing back yet is rather unusual I have to say...

Well, 7 of them are MD/PhD programs...so this long of a wait isn't necessarily unheard of for a mediocre applicant like myself. But it still sucks! The other two are non-rolling.