1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Thank you card etiquette

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mystique, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay, this question deviates a bit from the norm...

So, last week I had a great time with 2 out of the 3 interviewers....

I really didn't hit it off well with one of the interviewers...she was STOIC--no smiles, no nods,etc and very awkward questions. I honestly did not have a good time with her. Now, here's the question....I want to send thank you cards, but must I send one even to the one whom I didn't like....is it best in this case just to avoid sending them. I don't want HER to find out I sent my other interviewers a thank you note and not her...

Any suggestions?

:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

send a very generic one to her thanking her for her time and only comment on the school...not her :)
    simple!

4. eagle26

eagle26 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Send them all a thank you note...even HER. Tell her you had a wonderful experience, etc. I know you might be stretching the truth, but who cares? Just do what you can to get in.

5. Mystique

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks Scooby. :)

Joseph, it really doesn't make a difference b/c the committee has already met to decide my fate, BUT thanks for your advice. :)

6. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow that sounds exactly like an interview I had. Just curious, but was this an east coast school?

I agree, I would send all involved a thank you card. I actually forgot to send this school a note and now I am worried about it looking bad.

7. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I wouldn't stress too much about thank you cards. I mean sending them is probably a good idea but it's not going to make the difference between getting accepted/rejected. Case in point: I have sent one to all my interviewers except NYU (because I didn't remember the guys's name) and guess what - NYU is currently my first and only acceptance!

8. irongirl

irongirl Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the last person who posted a message on this topic. Thank-you cards really don't matter. If I was an interviewer, I'd get sick of all the dumb thank-you letters in my mail. I sent thank-you letters to the two interviewers at the first school I interviewed at, but not to any of the others. I got into the first one, but I also got into two more.

9. italianlove

italianlove Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

Really the only reason to send one is just being courteous and thanking them for their time, whatever. If you really didn't have a good time or you just don't feel like sending one then don't. At some schools the thank-you note thing is really important, though. For instance, at Georgetown they tell you that you should send a note and that it will be put in with your file before the committee! :eek: So you never know. And like jargon said it's not going to come down to, "Hmmm, well Johnson and Davis both have a 30 a 3.5 with good EC's and LOC's...but, Davis sent the thank you note so she's in! That'll teach that Johnson fella a lesson." Ok, I'm exaggerating but you get the point. Take care all and good luck with everything. Ciao.

10. mma

mma Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had an interviewer who was very much like you described. As I make it a point of sending thank you cards to everyone, I sent her one as well. But I was very satisfied with the thank you card--the message was generic, but the front of the card was a photograph of a very thorny branch from a bush. She was prickly, so it fit. ;)

mma

11. Mystique

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How clever, mma! Unfortunately, mine are rather plain...they just say thank you in calligraphy on the front. But, I decided to write a generic one to HER, so it's all good. Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Amy Beth,
    It was indeed a school on the east coast....make it northeast. :)