Thank you card etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mystique

The Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, this question deviates a bit from the norm...

So, last week I had a great time with 2 out of the 3 interviewers....

I really didn't hit it off well with one of the interviewers...she was STOIC--no smiles, no nods,etc and very awkward questions. I honestly did not have a good time with her. Now, here's the question....I want to send thank you cards, but must I send one even to the one whom I didn't like....is it best in this case just to avoid sending them. I don't want HER to find out I sent my other interviewers a thank you note and not her...

Any suggestions?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

send a very generic one to her thanking her for her time and only comment on the school...not her :)
simple!

Send them all a thank you note...even HER. Tell her you had a wonderful experience, etc. I know you might be stretching the truth, but who cares? Just do what you can to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Scooby. :)

Joseph, it really doesn't make a difference b/c the committee has already met to decide my fate, BUT thanks for your advice. :)

Wow that sounds exactly like an interview I had. Just curious, but was this an east coast school?

I agree, I would send all involved a thank you card. I actually forgot to send this school a note and now I am worried about it looking bad.

I wouldn't stress too much about thank you cards. I mean sending them is probably a good idea but it's not going to make the difference between getting accepted/rejected. Case in point: I have sent one to all my interviewers except NYU (because I didn't remember the guys's name) and guess what - NYU is currently my first and only acceptance!

I agree with the last person who posted a message on this topic. Thank-you cards really don't matter. If I was an interviewer, I'd get sick of all the dumb thank-you letters in my mail. I sent thank-you letters to the two interviewers at the first school I interviewed at, but not to any of the others. I got into the first one, but I also got into two more.

Hey guys,

Really the only reason to send one is just being courteous and thanking them for their time, whatever. If you really didn't have a good time or you just don't feel like sending one then don't. At some schools the thank-you note thing is really important, though. For instance, at Georgetown they tell you that you should send a note and that it will be put in with your file before the committee! :eek: So you never know. And like jargon said it's not going to come down to, "Hmmm, well Johnson and Davis both have a 30 a 3.5 with good EC's and LOC's...but, Davis sent the thank you note so she's in! That'll teach that Johnson fella a lesson." Ok, I'm exaggerating but you get the point. Take care all and good luck with everything. Ciao.

I had an interviewer who was very much like you described. As I make it a point of sending thank you cards to everyone, I sent her one as well. But I was very satisfied with the thank you card--the message was generic, but the front of the card was a photograph of a very thorny branch from a bush. She was prickly, so it fit. ;)

mma

How clever, mma! Unfortunately, mine are rather plain...they just say thank you in calligraphy on the front. But, I decided to write a generic one to HER, so it's all good. Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Amy Beth,
It was indeed a school on the east coast....make it northeast. :)