Thank You Card or LETTER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Addicted To SDN

Bueller...Bueller...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if people are writing a thank you card or letter? Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

i'm sending a post card. i've already had one admissions person say "thank you's are nice, but just email me. no need to flood our office with hundreds of cards and letters." but said in a nice way i think.
p.s. i'm not sending that school a post card, of course

i think a note is good. not a letter....thats a little overkill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Card is to personal, I wrote a formal thank you letter instead.

I wrote a short letter on simple stationery. Most cards I saw were too flowery. I'm sure it really doesn't matter though. I'm not sure about emails, they might be too informal, but I know they're perfectly acceptable for job interviews so who knows.

Is it alright to say that I would be a great addition to the medical school in a thank you card? Or should I mellow it downa bit? Does anyone have a "Thank you letter" example?

I sent a thank you letter ... yeah, stating why I like the school after the interview ... it was about half a page long or something like that

i think it depends on the school. the uc's were so laid back, i felt like an email was definitely sufficient. but columbia specifically said they expected a thank you note to put in your file.

i guess you can email profs and send thank you notes to the admissions office/your file just to cover your bases.

lulubean said:
i think it depends on the school. the uc's were so laid back, i felt like an email was definitely sufficient. but columbia specifically said they expected a thank you note to put in your file.

i guess you can email profs and send thank you notes to the admissions office/your file just to cover your bases.

what?!? who at columbia said they expected us to send thank you's? I've been sending thank you notes to all my interviewers, but when I had my columbia interview my interviewer was like, oh you don't have to send me a thank you note for the interview...thats so unfair. I wanted to send him one but I was so confused because I didnt know if I should still send it after he said that. :mad: now ur saying they expected one? I can't believe this.

sunsweet said:
what?!? who at columbia said they expected us to send thank you's? I've been sending thank you notes to all my interviewers, but when I had my columbia interview my interviewer was like, oh you don't have to send me a thank you note for the interview...thats so unfair. I wanted to send him one but I was so confused because I didnt know if I should still send it after he said that. :mad: now ur saying they expected one? I can't believe this.

you should still send it! from what the admin coordinator said, its more for the admissions committee (not the interviewer) to see when they review your file.

lulubean said:
you should still send it! from what the admin coordinator said, its more for the admissions committee (not the interviewer) to see when they review your file.

I usually just send one to my interviewer, not the admissions office. so I'm not sure if they would have been able to put it in my file anyway. did they specifically say they expected one? we didn't have any orientations/info sessions when I was there, and no one really told us anything.

yup they said "and don't forget to send a thank you card so we can put that in your file. send it to the admiss office so when the adcom opens your file, we see that you send one."
i still think its not too late to send it! :oops:

lulubean said:
yup they said "and don't forget to send a thank you card so we can put that in your file. send it to the admiss office so when the adcom opens your file, we see that you send one."
i still think its not too late to send it! :oops:

well, I had my interview in sept. oh well, thanks. I'm planning on sending an update letter or something anyway so maybe I'll just thank them in that.