Thank you cards for interview panel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limoncello

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you sent or plan on sending thank you cards for the people who interviewed you. I only found out about this during my Touro interview day after we were provided with contact info for the interview panel "in case we wanted to send thank you cards".

Is this a common practice? and would it have any impact on their decision?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how many of you sent or plan on sending thank you cards for the people who interviewed you. I only found out about this during my Touro interview day after we were provided with contact info for the interview panel "in case we wanted to send thank you cards".

Is this a common practice? and would it have any impact on their decision?

Common Practice: YES!

Impact on decision: VERY minute, if any!

Should you send it: Absolutely; They were physicians/PhDs who took time out of their day to interview you and you should thank them regardless of its impact!

I sent e-mails - I don't know if it had any effect but I truly didn't intend for it to. They made my experience very low stress and for that I was truly thankful.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok thanks! I have a few other questions: what exactly did you guys write on the card? and was it actually a card or letter size paper, and did you print it or hand write it? Not sure if all of the above matters but I'm new to the process and very unfamiliar with how it's done.

ok thanks! I have a few other questions: what exactly did you guys write on the card? and was it actually a card or letter size paper, and did you print it or hand write it? Not sure if all of the above matters but I'm new to the process and very unfamiliar with how it's done.

I just sent a quick email thanking them for their time.

None of that matters. Nobody will spend more than 15 seconds glancing at it.

If they provided you with an email, I would just email them as snail mail may get lost. If they didn't provide you with an email, then I would snail mail it. I wouldn't go fishing for the email address, b/c that may be a hint that they don't want you to email them.

If you are mailing it and you have good hand writing (i.e. others can read it), hand write it! otherwise don't!

Proofread it 50+ times, because if there are any MJOR mistakes that may hurt you.

As I mentioned previously, it will not make much of a difference. Most likely, by the time you got home from the interview they have already submitted their opinion to adcom! BUT it is the proper thing to do!

I'll be bluntly honest here, folks, while it is thoughtful, I simply throw them away. They do not have any impact upon admissions decisions, so it's OK to do them if you're just a polite person, but they won't earn you brownie points.

Perversely, I do respond politely to emails. Go figure.

None of that matters. Nobody will spend more than 15 seconds glancing at it.

If they provided you with an email, I would just email them as snail mail may get lost. If they didn't provide you with an email, then I would snail mail it. I wouldn't go fishing for the email address, b/c that may be a hint that they don't want you to email them.

If you are mailing it and you have good hand writing (i.e. others can read it), hand write it! otherwise don't!

Proofread it 50+ times, because if there are any MJOR mistakes that may hurt you.

As I mentioned previously, it will not make much of a difference. Most likely, by the time you got home from the interview they have already submitted their opinion to adcom! BUT it is the proper thing to do!

Do it. Always send thank you notes to the people that interviewed you.