dmd08

10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Along with a thank you card, is it okay to send a small gift for your LORs? If so, what are some gift ideas?

mmafan

10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
It'd be nice so send a card along with a water gun and some water balloons for your professor to ambush her/his colleagues.

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2007
!!!!!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Along with a thank you card, is it okay to send a small gift for your LORs? If so, what are some gift ideas?

A gift sounds like an overkill, regardless of what you may have heard I've read/been told numerous times by adcoms that even though sending a card is a nice gesture it's in no way going to influence your chances of getting in. If they want you they want you, if not a gift isn't going to change their minds. A gift just sounds like too much, IMHO.

About the Ads

PharmDforme

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy

I think it's okay to send a small gift with your thank you card for LoRs. I gave a small, restaurant gift card to the two recommender's I was close to. For the third recommender, I just sent a thank you card.

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2007
!!!!!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
He was talking about LOR's not the ADCOMs. Ehh, I would send a thank-you note, no gift unless I got into the dream school.

Oh, my bad. I guess I misread your post. In that case getting a gift is totally appropriate.

I went to See's candies and got them chocolates. They seemed to be happy. My bf's PI who wrote him an LOR is a big fan of herbal teas, so my bf went to Lupicia and got him a box with variety of herbal teas. Find out what they like and enjoy and go from there.

kismet

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student

One of my English teachers suggested a pen from the school you get into. It's small, inexpensive, and something they can use.

shunsistoesis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
i guess it depends on how well you know your referee.. for me i just called in and said thank you

xxLILOx07xx

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
:) A small gift would be a nice gesture.

A professor of mine still had not written my letter for a supplemental application after I had given her more than a month's notice. It was getting EXTREMELY close to the due date with no replies to my phone calls or emails, so I basically had to ask another professor last-minute (a few days before the letters were due). Not only was he happy to do it, but he got it done the day I sent him the forms. He was my favorite undergrad teacher, and I should have asked him to begin with...

Anyway, he's a really big Simpson's fan, so I'm thinking to get him a Homer mug. Something simple, yet useful. =P

...And if you don't know what they like, gift cards all the way!

azPharmD2B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I knew both of my recommenders very well, so I got them each a thank you card and a nice hardback book.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.