Thank you email or thank you letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMBLBM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to search my interviewer's local addresses for an hour. I did find her email address but should I call the school tomorrow and ask them for her physical address?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been trying to search my interviewer's local addresses for an hour. I did find her email address but should I call the school tomorrow and ask them for her physical address?

I would. Handwritten notes are much classier - there's an obvious amount of time and effort that goes into it and in my opinion it makes a better impression than an email. Now, that said, the thank you letter probably won't make a difference either way on your chances, but it is definitely a nice touch and very classy.

In the future, why don't you try asking your interviewer for a business card or mailing address on your way out of the room?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree (especially with the creepy). This type of "thank you" is not necessary or expected.

Are thank yous always expected? For my first interview day I was given the names and emails of my interviewers, so afterwards I sent an email to them. But on my second interview day, my interviewees just showed up on the spot and introduced themselves. I'm bad with names, and especially bad with long Indian names lol. Basically, short of calling the admissions office, I'm out of luck trying to find their names/emails. If I don't send thank you emails, will it hurt me?

Are thank yous always expected? For my first interview day I was given the names and emails of my interviewers, so afterwards I sent an email to them. But on my second interview day, my interviewees just showed up on the spot and introduced themselves. I'm bad with names, and especially bad with long Indian names lol. Basically, short of calling the admissions office, I'm out of luck trying to find their names/emails. If I don't send thank you emails, will it hurt me?

No, it won't hurt you. In the future, always ask for a business card.

No, it won't hurt you. In the future, always ask for a business card.

At risk of coming across as socially inept, I have a question. What's the most appropriate way to ask for a business card in the context of a medical school interview? Do say something in the end such as "may I get your business card in case I have any further questions?" I feel awkward saying something like this since its pretty obvious that I can just call the admissions office if I need more info.

At risk of coming across as socially inept, I have a question. What's the most appropriate way to ask for a business card in the context of a medical school interview? Do say something in the end such as "may I get your business card in case I have any further questions?" I feel awkward saying something like this since its pretty obvious that I can just call the admissions office if I need more info.

At the end of the interview, just ask "do you have a business card I could have?" Interviewers get asked this all the time. In fact, it's common in any professional setting to ask for a business card. It's not awkward.

I agree (especially with the creepy). This type of "thank you" is not necessary or expected.

Just to clarify, are you guys saying it's creepy to A: send a thank you of some kind, B: search for contact info for an hour, or C: call the admissions office later for your interviewers info if you weren't able to get it on your interview day?

B might be a little excessive but as far as I know, A and C are totally normal. But I defer to your judgment.

At the end of the interview, just ask "do you have a business card I could have?" Interviewers get asked this all the time. In fact, it's common in any professional setting to ask for a business card. It's not awkward.

Thanks, I was wondering the same thing. :)

Are thank yous always expected?
hu9i.jpg

Just to clarify, are you guys saying it's creepy to A: send a thank you of some kind, B: search for contact info for an hour, or C: call the admissions office later for your interviewers info if you weren't able to get it on your interview day?

B might be a little excessive but as far as I know, A and C are totally normal. But I defer to your judgment.

B. Definitely B.

Thank you all for your comments. I was wrongly assuming that sending thank you email is too convenient and rude in some sense

I've also sent them through the admissions office. Hopefully they get passed on to the interviewer and not tossed...

They will probably not give you her physical address even if you asked. If you really, really want to send a written thank-you note, send it to the admissions office addressed to them. They'll get it sooner or later. But e-mail is just as good.

I've also sent them through the admissions office. Hopefully they get passed on to the interviewer and not tossed...

This. Just address it to your interviewer's name, c/o the admissions office. No address hunting creepiness necessary.

They will probably not give you her physical address even if you asked. If you really, really want to send a written thank-you note, send it to the admissions office addressed to them. They'll get it sooner or later. But e-mail is just as good.

I mean I don't think it really matters but for what it's worth I have asked for and been given a physical address by admissions. From what I understand they're asked about this kind of thing all the time. I really don't see how anyone could think it weird to give you your interviewer's professional mailing address (i.e. to their office)