thank you gift for student hosts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

envelope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are you guys giving thank you gifts for the med students you are staying with at interview?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not necessary.

The med students who are putting you up volunteered for this. At my school, the hosts have already been thanked by the admissions office, to the tune of about $20.

Between travel schedules, interviews, and thank you notes for your interviewers (a must), you have enough to worry about. Just be sure to say thanks to whoever takes you in.

-doepug (MS IV)

ok, thanks for the info =)
for thank you cards for my interviewers...do you just get the itnerviewers names and then mail the cards to them after you get back?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting gifts for the people who house me. My hosts so far have been great in driving me around and showing me the cities that the schools are in. I am giving them little gifts that are unique from where I am from.

Originally posted by envelope
for thank you cards for my interviewers...do you just get the itnerviewers names and then mail the cards to them after you get back?

You should know your interviewers' names when you arrive for that fateful day. Write them down. Double check the spelling. When you get home (within a week), just write a simple note to say thanks. You should address a card to each interviewer, in care of the admissions office.

-doepug

At most schools, I foudn you didn't know the name of the interviewers until you showed up. And when I did know, they decided to switch it up on interview day.

As for gifts, just act grateful. We don't get paid here. If you show up early enough to go to dinner, I think people from last year suggested paying for the host's dinner. What you learn is more a valuable than the dinner's cost. If you're pressed for cash though, don't bother, everyone understands.

i thanked my student host by taking him out for a meal. everyone likes food, and it's another informal chance to just talk and get to know what a med student at that particular school is like. also for baylor the student-hosting program is run by a student, so i bought her a beer at the dinner thing after the interview day there. and everyone loves a frothy brew.

mlw03 - A shiner bock? That's the best beer there is.

I second mlw03. I am not rich by anymeans but even though they volunteered I think treating them to a meal is a good thing. A chance to talk and a chance to see what the town around the school is like.

Megalofyia:
a nice Shiner Bock...is a damn good brew. I have one every Thursday night! Can't argue that.

Buy me a round or two and I'll be happy. Buy me some takeout and I'll be really happy.

PS: Don't listen to doepug, they don't give me money for hosting!
PPS: Don't listen to habari either! I want stuff! :D Yes, I'm just kidding. You don't have to give me anything. Of course I volunteered. I'm just giving people ideas of what they COULD do for me if they felt so inclined. :)

forget that - you don't need to give your hosts any gifts/food etc... they don't and shouldn't expect it. furhtermore - just e-mail your interviewers or don't bother if you don't really have anything to thank. nothing lamer than automatic disingenuous thank-yous; people know that. the interviewer that was completely boring and bored with you? thank you to him/her? be judicious. and to all those people that say that this process is all about formality and it is expected -- you're just furthering the artificial status quo. i e-mailed people who i'd really wanted to thank [maybe 20% of the people i interviewed with] and there was no problem in the end.

Being grateful for a gift is always a nice thing. However you choose to show that gratitude is up to you (but treating your host to a beer/meal/whatever is a nice gesture).

Regarding notes to interviewers - it's a good way to keep your face/conversation in their heads come time to present you to the ad com. It's only common sense that you'll want to remind your interviewer about how wonderful you are!