Thank you gift to professors who wrote Letter of Rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hwaa

Tufts c/o 2026
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I know it's not absolutely necessary, and I know some profs will decline receiving gifts for writing a LOR.

I just felt really grateful to my profs because they stuck with me throughout multiple cycles and I really wanted to send them something small along with a handwritten letter.

So I asked my professors if they'd be willing to share an address (school or anything that's comfortable for them), because I'd like to send something small to show my appreciation. I included that I completely understood if they were not accepting gifts, or if they could not share an address.

One professor politely declined, and another professor was comfortable sharing an address.

So, long story aside, to any of you who sent their recommenders a gift, what did you send? I would appreciate any idea! Right now, I'm thinking maybe chocolates or a mug from the school i got accepted to, but I'd like an idea of what seems acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Right now, I'm thinking maybe chocolates or a mug from the school i got accepted to, but I'd like an idea of what seems acceptable.
You could also potentially do a mug to the school with some candy inside the mug. If it’s to/from a hot climate I’d stay away from something that would melt like chocolate though.

Reactions: 1 user
I knit and so I made scarves for my LOR doctors, to be fair it takes me about 3 full hours of work to complete each scarf and it's what I do in my downtime so it was a good thing for me :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got things from the gift shop of the wildlife rehab I was working at - painted mug and local tea mix for one, raccoon kit paw-print paintings (made every year as enrichment for the raccoons at the age who love getting their paws in everything, lol) and painted cup saucers for two others. Sent along with a letter/card I made. It felt like giving a more personal update on what I was doing to show how much the mentorship they’d given me meant in terms of allowing me to do the things that I dreamed.