Thank you letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jane2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it absolutely necessary to write a thank you letter to the interviewers? Does it really make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Jane2005 said:
Is it absolutely necessary to write a thank you letter to the interviewers? Does it really make a difference?

It isn't absolutely necessary but it is polite and in good form. These people will be presenting you to the committee.

Jane, welcome to SDN! This topic has been discussed a lot before. You can find old posts by clicking "Search" in the blue bar right under where it says "Welcome, Jane2005" at the top of the page. To sum up, most people agree it doesn't make a difference on whether you're accepted, but it's a polite thing to do (unless the school asks you not to).

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviewers usually fill out an evaluation of you very soon after you finished the interview so it probably doesn't make much of a difference. Some people think it's a polite thing to do, others think it's obviously sucking up. Personally, I never wrote any.

Brain said:
The interviewers usually fill out an evaluation of you very soon after you finished the interview so it probably doesn't make much of a difference. Some people think it's a polite thing to do, others think it's obviously sucking up. Personally, I never wrote any.

It won't affect admissions, but it is good etiquette. You are going into a profession, and so it doesn't hurt to act professionally. I strongly disagree with the sucking up notion -- it's a matter of good manners.

Jane2005 said:

No, it's not.

No, it won't.

a thank you letter is senseless is nothing more than sucking up. If you've thanked your interviewer at the end of the interview, that is enough. But -- keep in mind that most pre-meds are tools who will do things like thank-you letters, etc.

so if you don't write one it may be conspicuously absent -- and that may hurt you (though it probably won't).

i have been told by admission office ppl that they put the thank you cards in your file, so everytime the adcom looks at your file, they notice it. whether it makes a difference, i have no idea. it can't hurt though!

doc05 said:
a thank you letter is senseless is nothing more than sucking up. If you've thanked your interviewer at the end of the interview, that is enough. But -- keep in mind that most pre-meds are tools who will do things like thank-you letters, etc.

so if you don't write one it may be conspicuously absent -- and that may hurt you (though it probably won't).

Having been in job related professional interviews (on both sides of the desk) prior to this process, I promise you that thank you notes to interviewers are the norm for professionals, and not viewed as sucking up. However I agree with all of the posters who indicate that it will not affect your likelihood of admissions.