Thank you letters for LORs - how much to write??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyhands

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I really don't write a whole lot of thank you letters...So what is a good amount to write??

Is one or two lines fine?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I expressed my sincere gratitude when they agreed to write the letter. Then, throughout the cycle I have been updating them via email on my progress (aka acceptances) and thank them again for playing a role in my application. They have all been very receptive and are always excited to hear new updates. It has worked out well so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote a good amount for each of my LOR writers. I figured since they are taking the time to write me a LOR, the least I could do is write a thoughtful thank you back for them. I'm also updating them throughout the process, and they really appreciate it.

I waited until I knew where I was going then shared my success and thank them.

When all my letters had finally been written I wrote a personal thank you note for each person expressing my gratitude for them writing a letter and for our past relationship whatever it may have been. It came out to about 8-10 sentences. At each step I let everyone know what is going on. So, when I got my first secondary I sent out a quick email, first interview = quick email. First acceptance, if I get one, will warrant a tad longer email.
Good Luck

I expressed my sincere gratitude when they agreed to write the letter. Then, throughout the cycle I have been updating them via email on my progress (aka acceptances) and thank them again for playing a role in my application. They have all been very receptive and are always excited to hear new updates. It has worked out well so far.

Are thank you notes something they are expecting and if they don't recieve one they will be like...this guys is an _____???

I feel like I know my LOR writers well and have thanked them. I'm sure they understand that I appreciate it.

So should I still write them??

Look at it this way. Why not write a nice thank you? Are you extremely busy or something? It in no way does anything to adversely affect you and keeps these people in your boat for future things as well. Do you HAVE to? Of course, not. But again, why not?