Thank you letters: mail or email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med8866

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to email thank you letters until recently speaking to another interviewee who mentioned that they always send it in the mail.

I realize that since mail takes longer it may offset the interviewers' view of me, but that it also has a more long lasting effect since its written on paper - perhaps good for non-rolling schools?

What d'yall think?

Members don't see this ad.

Send them by regular mail- feels more personal vs a bland email.

I've been the recipient of both -- about 50/50. I would say that if you want an answer to a question, email is much better. Otherwise, either is fine but neither will help your chances of admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been sending both. (That's what advice I was always given in regard to job interviews, so I figured I'd do that for med school interviews as well.)

I'm sure it really doesn't matter one way or another though.

What if you can't find your interviewer's contact info on the website? This is a problem...

What if you can't find your interviewer's contact info on the website? This is a problem...

Ideally, on interview day, you were either given a sheet with their contact information or asked them for a business card at the end of the meeting. If not, you might be able to call up someone at the school and ask where mail should be sent to if you're trying to reach someone.

Feel free to ask the admissions office since some schools have policies on thank-you notes. Some don't want thank-you notes sent, some prefer the notes go through the admissions office, and some don't have policies.

As an artist, I made my own thank you notes and mailed them. It was a fun project, and my intention was to thank the interviewers for volunteering their time as opposed to asking questions or advocating for entrance. Like others have mentioned before, they probably don't carry any influence, especially considering that interviewers will likely write up the interview before a note receives them, either by email or snail mail. They're a nice courtesy because adcom members, whether they're students or faculty, have chosen to help out even though they're probably busy and could be doing something else.

I guess you never know, the person who interviewed you may end up being a fellow student or teacher. It wouldn't hurt to have them think you're a considerate person if they remember you.

Thanks for all the responses :)