thank you letters or thank you emails?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is sending a thank you email bad just not right -- anybody send them or has everyone stuck to thank you letters.

Members don't see this ad.

To all my interviewers I sent letters. If you had multiple interviews, you should send a specific one to each person. I just typed mine and mailed it. It seems better than an email but maybe other people had success with an emailed thank you letter.

Are these even warranted? I don't think anyone has been accepted or rejected based upon whether they sent a thank you letter or email. Seems like a time-wasting professional courtesy to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
Are these even warranted? I don't think anyone has been accepted or rejected based upon whether they sent a thank you letter or email. Seems like a time-wasting professional courtesy to me.

It may not matter but I sent ones out to the people I felt I had a great interview with. It helps my non-SDN karma out :)

I never sent any. It's nice, but it won't help. They decide things as soon as you leave, well before they recieve it.

Before I went to interviews, I was going to send thank-you letters. However, a family friend of ours is a physician and on the admissions committee at a medical school and said that at times it can become annoying and just add to the paper pile they already have..and I agree with the last post that the decision will be made before the letter gets read..but I guess it is still a nice gesture. However, I never sent one and I had no problem :D

If not a letter, then maybe send a thank you card with a simple handwritten note.

I didn't send any thank you notes out this time. The first time I applied I sent out one letter. They really aren't needed. It gets your name in front of them again, but that's it. That would really add up if all their interviewees sent them a note. Email would be the best thing.

Nice but in my humble opinion, not necessary.

I agree that no thank you letter will ever make or break your admissions decision. I do, however, think that it is a measure of an individual's character. Everyone that interviewed you took the time out of their day to meet with you, how long does it take you to write a couple of sentences on a thank you note and send it? 5 minutes? Just something to think about.

If I am ever on a committee to interview people/students for positions....I think I would like a thank you. It makes that use of my time that much better....then again, I would prefer a beer to a card. Then again..I'm a guy.

;)

A letter to the committee and to each of the interviewers. :thumbup: Good luck!

Letters would be a waste of time in my opinion. It will NEVER make the difference between acceptance and denial.

That being said, if it's in your nature to thank everyone for everything or you are a type A gunner that wants to leave no stone unturned, then go for it.

This is a different strokes for different folks issue.

Thank you notes are not necessary. I think it is a nice gesture, however, it wont make a difference in your application process. I usually went around the table after the interview and shook hands with each interviewer and thanked them for taking the time to interview me. Courtesy is a good thing, but if you really do well in your interview, you wont need a thank you letter.

I actually had my interviewers at two of the schools I applied thank me for taking time to interview at their respective school. I think they realize that you are taking your time to interview their as well, and they tend to appreciate that most of the time.

If it would make you feel better to send a "thank you", I would probably send a small thank you card, you know, the kind you can buy in a box set. It is small and they wont feel bombarded with more paper. This is just my humble opinion though. Good luck to you.

Aaron