Thank-You letters VOTE

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Solideliquid, Dec 1, 2005.

?

What do you think is the best way to send a Thank You?

1. Hand-written note sent by post

43 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. Email

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. Solideliquid

Solideliquid Members Only
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  2. SergeGainsbourg

10+ Year Member

I voted for hand 'hand written sent by post'. But that's a lie. I don't hand write mine because my handwriting is indecipherable. I print them out on fancy paper and hand sign them.

The problem with email is that lots of docs don't actually read their email. They either ignore it or have their assistant process it. ;)

3. gallant2m

gallant2m Member
    7+ Year Member

i think a lot of docs dont spend their time sifting thru mail all day, as they get all sorts of garbage in the mail from all sorts of places. Email is more personal, and every single time i have contacted doctors thru email, i got a swift reply. I sent all mine thru email, and one just wrote back.

4. FACS

FACS jolly good fellow
    5+ Year Member

Veeery in-ter-esting.

It sure would be easier than hunting down their addresses. And, I agree, it is sort of personal, isn't it?. Doctors are pretty good about answering their email aren't they? And there's definately more chance that they'd reply. That must be reassuring. How many have replied to you?

5. Solideliquid

Solideliquid Members Only
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I have sent in all my thank yous in email form and so far every place I've interviewed at has sent me a reply, thanking me for my thank you note, lol.

With email its also much much easier to send emails to staff interviewers and the program coordinator.

6. lowbudget

lowbudget Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Email. It's less junk mail plus you open lines of communication to email again in the future.

7. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is a very good point. But then I have also heard it is good to have a thank you letter in your file. What are people's thoughts on a handwritten thank you note to the PD, and emails to the other interviewers?

8. DrRobert

DrRobert Day or Night
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Email is the way to go. This topic actually came up during an interview with a PD. This was his opinion:

1. Email is legible, fast, and free.
    2. Email makes it very easy for the interviewer to respond. (just click reply)
    3. Once the interviewer has your email address, it can be stored for future communications.
    4. Many PDs/interviewers will print out a copy of the email and place it in the applicant's file. Therefore, sending a hand-written note provides no advantage in terms of having it stored in your file.